Understanding the diagonal elements of the transition dipole moment

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in interpreting the results of a numerical calculation of matrix elements for a superconducting qubit. The main diagonal of the matrix contains large, non-zero elements which can be interpreted as indicating allowed transitions between quantum states. However, there is uncertainty about the meaning of these values, with one possible interpretation being that the system can be polarized. Further opinions on this matter are welcome.
approx12
TL;DR Summary
How am I supposed to interpret the diagonal elements of the transition dipole matrix. We learned that the matrix elements ##\neq 0## tells us that a certain transition is possible but what if that matrix element is on the diagonal of my matrix. A transition from ##|2\rangle## to ##|2\rangle## for example doesn't make much sense to me.
Hey guys, I just numerically calculated the matrix elements for a superconducting qubit and I'm having some trouble to interpret the result.
I will include a plot of the matrix I got below:

Unbenannt.JPG

I basically have "large" non zero elements on the main diagonal of this matrix. In previous courses I was told that for example the matrix element ##\langle 2|d|3\rangle## would indicate me that transitions for this quantum system from ##2## to ##3## and vice versa are allowed. Therefore I have a little bit of a hard time understanding the non zero values on the main diagonal.

One interpretation I have is that the system can therefore be polarized but I'm not quite sure about that.

Would be really awesome if someone could share his opinion on this, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The transition matrix can always have non-zero diagonal elements. There is some probability that no transition occurs, and that's reflected by the diagonal elements.

Likes hutchphd