Finding an Integral for a given Riemann Sum

In summary: Hi,Thanks a lot. That's good to know. I made a new thread called: Using integral methods to evaluate any summation. Perhaps you'll be interested? Thanks @Euge!
Amad27
Hello,

This question is purely inspired by: http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/evaluating-infinite-sum-e-x-using-integrals-12838.html

My other question. Anyhow,

How do you find the integral for a given specific Riemann sum.

Suppose the same one given in the link;

$= \displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{1}{m}\sum_{x=1}^{m} me^{-x}$

How can someone convert that into an integral?

We know $\Delta(x) = \frac{1}{m}$. So

$me^{-x}$, is the height of the function in some subinterval.

This is possibly a right hand Riemann sum.

IdeaS? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Olok said:
Hello,

This question is purely inspired by: http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/evaluating-infinite-sum-e-x-using-integrals-12838.html

My other question. Anyhow,

How do you find the integral for a given specific Riemann sum.

Suppose the same one given in the link;

$= \displaystyle \lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{1}{m}\sum_{x=1}^{m} me^{-x}$

How can someone convert that into an integral?

We know $\Delta(x) = \frac{1}{m}$. So

$me^{-x}$, is the height of the function in some subinterval.

This is possibly a right hand Riemann sum.

IdeaS? Thanks!

No, it cannot be done with this method. The limit parameter $m$ is independent of of the summation index $x$, so $\frac{1}{m}\sum_{x = 1}^m me^{-x}$ is not a Riemann sum.

Euge said:
No, it cannot be done with this method. The limit parameter $m$ is independent of of the summation index $x$, so $\frac{1}{m}\sum_{x = 1}^m me^{-x}$ is not a Riemann sum.

Can this sum then be done with integration or differentiation at all?

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}$

WITHOUT using the $S = \frac{1}{1-r}$ method?

Olok said:
Can this sum then be done with integration or differentiation at all?

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} e^{-n}$

WITHOUT using the $S = \frac{1}{1-r}$ method?

You can represent the series as an integral, but it won't be useful for evaluation. Geometric series are used as a basis for many differentiation and integration methods, so you'll have problems trying to do the reverse.

Euge said:
You can represent the series as an integral, but it won't be useful for evaluation. Geometric series are used as a basis for many differentiation and integration methods, so you'll have problems trying to do the reverse.

@Euge, that is fairly interesting. So, how can I write the summation as an integral? I just want to see! Thanks!

Olok said:
@Euge, that is fairly interesting. So, how can I write the summation as an integral? I just want to see! Thanks!

Let

\(\displaystyle u(x) = \begin{cases}0, & x \le 0\\1, & x > 0\end{cases}.\)

Set

\(\displaystyle \alpha(x) = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty e^{-n}u\Bigl(x - \frac{1}{n}\Bigr).\)

Then

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^\infty e^{-n} = \int_0^1 1\, d\alpha.\)

This is a representation of your series as a Riemann-Stieltjes integral. More generally, if $f$ is continuous on $[0,1]$, then

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^\infty e^{-n} f\bigl(\tfrac1{n}\bigr) = \int_0^1 f\, d\alpha.\)

Last edited:
Euge said:
Let

\(\displaystyle u(x) = \begin{cases}0, & x \le 0\\1, & x > 0\end{cases}.\)

Set

\(\displaystyle \alpha(t) = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty e^{-n}u\Bigl(x - \frac{1}{n}\Bigr).\)

Then

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^\infty e^{-n} = \int_0^1 1\, d\alpha.\)

This is a representation of your series as a Riemann-Stieltjes integral. More generally, if $f$ is continuous on $[0,1]$, then

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^\infty e^{-n} f\bigl(\tfrac1{n}\bigr) = \int_0^1 f\, d\alpha.\)

How? The sum does not equal $1$ by any means. In general,

Is there any method using perhaps integrals to derive that sum?

Like use integrals to get to a sum, perhaps "solve" for the sum? Using integration to find a definite integral related to the sum??

Thanks!

Olok said:
How? The sum does not equal $1$ by any means.

Like I said, the integral representing your series is a Riemann-Stieltjes integral. It's a generalization of the Riemann integral. When $\alpha(x) = x$, a Riemann-Stieltjes integral $\int_a^b f\, d\alpha$ reduces to the ordinary Riemann integral $\int_a^b f(x)\, dx$.

Euge said:
Like I said, the integral representing your series is a Riemann-Stieltjes integral. It's a generalization of the Riemann integral. When $\alpha(x) = x$, a Riemann-Stieltjes integral $\int_a^b f\, d\alpha$ reduces to the ordinary Riemann integral $\int_a^b f(x)\, dx$.

Hi,

Thanks a lot. That's good to know. I made a new thread called: Using integral methods to evaluate any summation. Perhaps you'll be interested? Thanks @Euge!

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing up their individual areas. It is used to find the integral of a function.

2. How do I find the integral for a given Riemann Sum?

To find the integral for a given Riemann Sum, you need to first choose the width of the rectangles (also known as the subintervals). Then, calculate the height of each rectangle by plugging in the x-value of its left endpoint into the given function. Finally, add up all the areas of the rectangles to get the approximate value of the integral.

3. What is the role of the number of subintervals in finding the integral using Riemann Sum?

The number of subintervals determines the accuracy of the Riemann Sum. As the number of subintervals increases, the rectangles become narrower and the approximation of the integral gets more precise. However, too many subintervals can also lead to a more complex calculation.

4. Can a Riemann Sum be used to find the exact value of an integral?

No, a Riemann Sum can only provide an approximation of the integral. The more subintervals used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual value, but it will never be exact.

5. Are there other methods for finding integrals besides Riemann Sum?

Yes, there are other methods such as the Trapezoidal Rule, Simpson's Rule, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. These methods may provide a more accurate approximation than Riemann Sum, but they also have their own limitations and assumptions.