Finding Approximate Critical Number with Newton's Method

In summary: I'm guessing we're supposed to find successive approximations, which will be a bit weird since we won't immediately go to the actual critical point. Typically we'll overshoot after which we'll converge after all.
PirateCat
Use Newton's Method to approximate a critical number of the function \(\displaystyle \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{2} x^8 + \frac{6}{5} x ^5+ 2 x +10\) near the point \(\displaystyle x = 2 \). Use \(\displaystyle x_1 = 2 \) as the initial approximation. Find the next two approximations, x_2 and x_3, to four decimal places each.I have been working on this problem and made f(x) a derivative and then use 2 as the initial approximation, but the math website keeps telling me it is wrong. I do not understand what it means by "critical number" when it comes to the Newton's Method. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PirateCat said:
Use Newton's Method to approximate a critical number of the function \(\displaystyle \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{2} x^8 + \frac{6}{5} x ^5+ 2 x +10\) near the point \(\displaystyle x = 2 \). Use \(\displaystyle x_1 = 2 \) as the initial approximation. Find the next two approximations, x_2 and x_3, to four decimal places each.I have been working on this problem and made f(x) a derivative and then use 2 as the initial approximation, but the math website keeps telling me it is wrong. I do not understand what it means by "critical number" when it comes to the Newton's Method. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi PirateCat! Welcome to MHB! ;)

I'm assuming that a critical number is the same thing as a critical point.
That is where the derivative is zero.

However, Newton's method (actually the Newton-Raphson method) finds a zero.
Can it be that we're supposed to take the derivative and then find the zero?
\begin{tikzpicture}[>=stealth, xscale=5, font=\large, scale=0.5]
\foreach \i in {-1,0,1,2} {%
\draw (\i,.1) -- (\i,-.1) node[below] {$\i$};%
}
\foreach \i in {-5,0,5,10,15} {%
\draw (.1,\i) -- (-.1,\i) node
{$\i$};%
}
\draw[->] (-1.7,0) -- (2.2,0) node
{$x$};
\draw[->] (0,-6) -- (0,16) node[above] {$y$};
\draw[domain=-1.5:1.1, smooth, variable=\x, ultra thick, blue] plot ({\x},{1/2 * (\x)^8 + 6/5*(\x)^5 + 2*(\x) + 10}) node
{$y=f(x)$};
\draw[domain=-1.3:1.0, smooth, variable=\x, ultra thick, red] plot ({\x},{4 * (\x)^7 + 6*(\x)^4 + 2}) node
{$y=f'(x)$};
\end{tikzpicture}

Which approximations did you find? (Wondering)​

The approximations that I got were around 1.7024 and 1.4022 if I remember correctly; they were around that range. That makes sense equaling it out to zero, we did not go over that in class though.

PirateCat said:
The approximations that I got were around 1.7024 and 1.4022 if I remember correctly; they were around that range. That makes sense equaling it out to zero, we did not go over that in class though.

It seems to be intended as an example where Newton-Raphson has some limitations.
The approximations won't quite converge, since we have to go up from x=2, before going down to the actual critical point. (Nerd)

I see, that makes sense. Would linear approximation have to come into play then?

PirateCat said:
I see, that makes sense. Would linear approximation have to come into play then?

The Newton-Raphson method is a linear approximation! (Thinking)

Ahhh yeah you're right. I forgot that you can use the L(x) equation and turn it into Newton's Method XD I'm still confused on where to start though for this problem.

PirateCat said:
Ahhh yeah you're right. I forgot that you can use the L(x) equation and turn it into Newton's Method XD I'm still confused on where to start though for this problem.

What do you mean by "starting"?
I'm guessing we're supposed to find successive approximations, which will be a bit weird since we won't immediately go to the actual critical point.
Typically we'll overshoot after which we'll converge after all.

1. What is Newton's Method and how does it work?

Newton's Method is an iterative algorithm used to find the roots of a function. It works by starting with an initial guess for the root, then using the tangent line at that point to make a better guess. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

2. How is Newton's Method used to find approximate critical numbers?

In order to find approximate critical numbers using Newton's Method, we need to first find the derivative of the original function. Then, we follow the steps of the algorithm to find the roots of the derivative, which correspond to the critical numbers of the original function.

3. What are the advantages of using Newton's Method to find critical numbers?

One advantage of using Newton's Method is that it is a very efficient algorithm, often converging to the solution in just a few iterations. It also allows for the calculation of approximate critical numbers without having to use complex mathematical techniques.

4. Can Newton's Method be used for any type of function?

Newton's Method can be used for any continuous and differentiable function. However, it may not always converge to the desired solution if the function is highly nonlinear or if the initial guess is too far from the actual root.

5. How do I know if the critical number found using Newton's Method is accurate?

The accuracy of the critical number found using Newton's Method depends on the level of precision desired and the number of iterations performed. The closer the initial guess is to the actual root, and the more iterations are performed, the more accurate the result will be. Additionally, checking the solution using other methods or graphing the function can help verify the accuracy of the critical number.