Finding Area under x^2-16 Curve: ∫_2^5

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
To evaluate this, we may use integration by substitution and then addition. We then get:A=\dfrac{53}{3}In summary, to find the area bound by the curve y=x^2-16, the x-axis, and the lines x=2 and x=5, we use the definite integral with limits from 2 to 5. However, we need to take the absolute value of the difference between the functions x^2-16 and 0 in order to get the correct answer of 53/3.
markosheehan
Find the area bound by the curve y=x^2-16 , the x-axis and the lines x=2 and x=5. i am trying to use the definite integral way ∫_2^5. but i am not getting the right answer. the right answer is 53/3

Physics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
Find the area bound by the curve y=x^2-16 , the x-axis and the lines x=2 and x=5. i am trying to use the definite integral way ∫_2^5. but i am not getting the right answer. the right answer is 53/3

Those are 2 areas.
Taking the integral counts one negative and the other positive.
Both should be positive to find the area.

Yes, to find the area $A$ bounded by two functions ($f$ and $g$) over an interval $[a,b]$, we need to use:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_a^b \left|f(x)-g(x)\right|\,dx\)

Now, in the given problem we may define:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=x^2-16\)

\(\displaystyle g(x)=0\)

And so we then find:

\(\displaystyle \left|f(x)-g(x)\right|=\left|x^2-16\right|=\begin{cases}x^2-16, & |x|>4 \\[3pt] 16-x^2, & |x|\le4 \\ \end{cases}\)

With $(a,b)=(2,5)$, we may then write:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_2^4 16-x^2\,dx+\int_4^5 x^2-16\,dx\)

1. What is the formula for finding the area under a curve?

The formula for finding the area under a curve is called the definite integral, which is represented by the symbol ∫. It involves taking the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at two given points, known as the limits of integration.

2. How do I find the area under the curve of x^2-16?

To find the area under the curve of x^2-16, you will need to first integrate the function to get the antiderivative. In this case, the antiderivative is (1/3)x^3-16x. Then, plug in the two given limits of integration (2 and 5) into this antiderivative and subtract the lower limit from the upper limit to get the area.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration?

The limits of integration represent the starting and ending points on the x-axis where the area under the curve will be calculated. They determine the boundaries of the region whose area is being measured.

4. Can I use any method to find the area under a curve?

No, the method used to find the area under a curve depends on the shape and complexity of the curve. For simple functions like x^2-16, you can use the definite integral. However, for more complicated curves, other methods such as numerical integration may be necessary.

5. How can I visualize the area under a curve?

You can visualize the area under a curve by graphing the function and shading the region between the curve and the x-axis. This shaded area represents the numerical value of the definite integral and can help you understand the concept of finding the area under a curve.