Graph complex numbers to verify z^2 = (conjugate Z)^2

In summary: No está claro cuánto sabes sobre números complejos. Su forma polar, cómo funciona la multiplicación en forma polar y cómo funciona la conjugación en forma polar, haría que la respuesta a este problema sea mucho más intuitiva.
il postino
Homework Statement
Find the complex numbers that verify the equation
Relevant Equations
z^2 = (conjugate Z)^2
Hello! :smile:
I am locked in an exercise.
I must find (and graph) the complex numbers that verify the equation:
##z^2=\bar z^2 ##​

If ##z=x+iy## then:

##(x+iy)^2=(x-iy)^2 ##
and operating and simplifying,

##4.x.yi=0 ##
and here I don't know how to continue...
can you help me with ideas?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when is a product of two real numbers equal to zero ?
After all, ##x## and ##y## are real numbers !

A correction of your terminology: You should say they are values of z that satisfy the equation, not verify.

Likes il postino
BvU said:
Well, when is a product of two real numbers equal to zero ?
After all, xxx and yyy are real numbers !
Then the answer is: It is true for pure complex numbers, and for pure imaginary complex numbers?
how can i graph them?
thanks for answering!

Likes BvU
il postino said:
Then the answer is: It is true for pure complex numbers, and for pure imaginary complex numbers?
how can i graph them?
thanks for answering!

Whenever you are asked to draw a graph of complex numbers, you should consider looking at the polar form.

il postino said:
how can i graph them?
Are you familiar with the complex plane and how it is drawn in two dimensions?

When does multiplying two real numbers yield zero? When either or both are equal to zero.
il postino said:
It is true for pure complex numbers, and for pure imaginary complex numbers?
Indeed. Do you know where these numbers, i.e ##z=x## and ##z=iy##, lie in the complex plane?

il postino said:
how can i graph them?
thanks for answering!
Small correction: you represented ##{\bf z} = x + iy## and found that ##{\bf z} ^2 = \bar {\bf z} ^2\ \ ## if ##\ x=0\ ## or ##\ y = 0\ ##.

##\ y = 0\ ## for real numbers, ##\ x = 0\ ## for purely imaginary numbers.

Real numbers are a subset of the complex numbers.
The term 'pure complex numbers' is meaningless.

And you know how to draw ##\ x=0\ ## and how to draw ##\ y = 0\ ##.

I warmly recommend @LCKurtz ' excellent essay on complex numbers. It is aimed at teachers but contains a treasuretrove of guidance for students as well.

[edit]
Oh, and: an alternative way to look at ##{\bf z} ^2 = \bar {\bf z} ^2\ \ ## is to conclude that this is satisfied if ##{\bf z} = \bar {\bf z} \ ## and also if ##{\bf z} = -\bar {\bf z} \ ## so you don't even need to work out the complex squares :wink:

Likes FactChecker and il postino
It's not clear how much you know about complex numbers. Their polar form, how multiplication works in polar form, and how conjugation works in polar form, would all make the answer to this problem much more intuitive.

Likes BvU
[QUOTE = "FactChecker, publicación: 6322397, miembro: 500115"]
No está claro cuánto sabes sobre números complejos. Su forma polar, cómo funciona la multiplicación en forma polar y cómo funciona la conjugación en forma polar, haría que la respuesta a este problema sea mucho más intuitiva.
[/CITAR]

Planteo el problema en forma polar y te muestro

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How do you graph complex numbers?

To graph a complex number, plot the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The point where the two axes intersect represents the complex number.

3. What does it mean for two complex numbers to be conjugates?

Two complex numbers are conjugates if they have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. In other words, the conjugate of a + bi is a - bi.

4. How do you verify z^2 = (conjugate Z)^2?

To verify this equation, you can graph both sides of the equation and see if they are equal. Another way is to substitute a + bi for z and a - bi for the conjugate of z, and then simplify both sides of the equation to see if they are equal.

5. What does it mean for z^2 = (conjugate Z)^2 to be true?

If this equation is true, it means that the complex number z has a symmetric graph about the real axis. In other words, the point (a, b) on the graph of z will have a corresponding point (a, -b) on the graph of the conjugate of z.