Finding border points and then interior points

In summary: A$ must be a border point. And we also know that $A^c$ does not contain any interior points either, so the only possible interior point in $\mathbb{R}$ is $0$, making it the only border point of $A^c$.
A.Magnus
I am working on a classical real analysis problem as follow:

Find $int (A)$ and $bd (A)$ if $A = \{ \frac{1}{n} | n \in \mathbb N \}= \{ \frac{1}{1}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, ... \}$.

The answers from solution manual are respectively $ int (A) = \emptyset$ and $bd (A) = \{0\} \cup \{ \frac{1}{n} | n \in \mathbb N \}$. And here are my textbook's definition of interior point and border point:

Let $A \subseteq \mathbb R$. A point $x$ in $\mathbb R$ is an interior point of A if there exists a neighborhood $N$ of $x$ such that $N \subseteq A$. If for every neighborhood of $N$ of $x$, $N \cap A \neq \emptyset$ and $N \cap A^c \neq \emptyset$, then $x$ is a border point of $A$.

And then there is also this:

Every point $x \in A$ is either interior or border point of $A$.
To my inexperienced mind, the answer to $int (A) = \emptyset $ is understandable because while neighborhood $N (x | \epsilon >0)$ is an open set (per textbook), but $A = \{ \frac{1}{1}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, ... \}$ is incomplete, meaning that there is gap between any two consecutive elements of $A$. Therefore by technicality $N (x | \epsilon )$ does not exist inside $A$. (Am I correct here?)

The answer to $bd (A) = \{0\} \cup \{ \frac{1}{n} | n \in \mathbb N \}$ is understandably the direct consequence of $int (A) = \emptyset $, i.e., if none of the elements of $A$ is interior point, then all of them must be border points, plus the zero.

But what troubles me is this: What happens if I instead answer $int(A)$ first and then $bd (A)$ second? Am I going to get the same answers?

(i) For $\{0\}$, I was tempted to conclude that zero is indeed a border point because $N (0 | \epsilon) \cap A \neq \emptyset$ and $N (0 | \epsilon) \cap A^c \neq \emptyset$ for all $\epsilon >0$. But had I not just concluded above that $N (x | \epsilon)$ does not exist in $A$?

(ii) How about for the rest of the points, i.e., $\frac{1}{n}$? How do I conclude $N (\frac{1}{n} | \epsilon ) \cap A \neq \emptyset$ and $N (\frac{1}{n} | \epsilon ) \cap A^c \neq \emptyset$ for all possible $\epsilon >0$?

I think I must have missed something here. Any help would therefore be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time and gracious help. ~MA

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MaryAnn.

MaryAnn said:
Therefore by technicality $N (x | \epsilon )$ does not exist inside $A$. (Am I correct here?)
You mean to say that for all $\epsilon>0$, $N(x\mid\epsilon)\not\subseteq A$, because $N(x\mid\epsilon)$ contains points not in $A$. For example, for $x=\frac13$, given $\epsilon>0$, let
$$\delta=\min\left\{\frac{\epsilon}2,\frac{\frac13-\frac14}2\right\};$$
then $y=x-\delta\not\in A$ but $y\in N(x\mid\epsilon)$. (If all this looks confusing to you, try sketching the points on a number line.) In general, if $x=\frac1n$, let
$$\delta=\min\left\{\frac{\epsilon}2,\frac{\frac1n-\frac1{n+1}}2\right\};$$
and $y=x-\delta$ as above. Hence there does not exist any $x$ such that $x$ is an interior point of $A$ (not that $N (x | \epsilon )$ does not exist).

MaryAnn said:
But what troubles me is this: What happens if I instead answer $int(A)$ first and then $bd (A)$ second? Am I going to get the same answers?
You can do whichever one first, it doesn’t really matter. If you do everything correctly, you should get the same answers.

MaryAnn said:
(i) For $\{0\}$, I was tempted to conclude that zero is indeed a border point because $N (0 | \epsilon) \cap A \neq \emptyset$ and $N (0 | \epsilon) \cap A^c \neq \emptyset$ for all $\epsilon >0$. But had I not just concluded above that $N (x | \epsilon)$ does not exist in $A$?
See above. Note also that in the above you were taking $x\in A$ whereas now you are considering $0$, which is not in $A$.

MaryAnn said:
(ii) How about for the rest of the points, i.e., $\frac{1}{n}$? How do I conclude $N (\frac{1}{n} | \epsilon ) \cap A \neq \emptyset$ and $N (\frac{1}{n} | \epsilon ) \cap A^c \neq \emptyset$ for all possible $\epsilon >0$?
For $x\in A$, $N (x | \epsilon)\cap A$ is clearly not going to be empty because it contains $x$ itself. It also contains points not in $A$ by the method outlined in (i) above. Hence every point in $A$ is a border point. For points outside $A$, $0$ is the only point that is a border point. Given any $\epsilon>0$, $N(0\mid\epsilon)$ contains a point in $A$ (namely $\frac1N$ where $N$ is any integer greater than $\frac1\epsilon$) and also a point not in $A$ (namely $0$ itself). For any $x\not\in A$ and $x\ne0$, let
$$\epsilon=\tfrac12\inf\left\{\{|x|\}\cup\{|x-a|:a\in A\}\right\};$$
then $N (x | \epsilon)\cap A$ does not contain any point in $A$ and so $x$ can’t be a border point.

Last edited:

Hello there!

I believe you are on the right track with your understanding of the definitions of interior and border points. Let me try to address your specific concerns:

(i) For $\{0\}$, you are correct in saying that zero is a border point because $N(0 | \epsilon) \cap A \neq \emptyset$ and $N(0 | \epsilon) \cap A^c \neq \emptyset$ for all $\epsilon > 0$. The reason for this is that, even though $N(0 | \epsilon)$ does not exist in $A$, it does exist in $\mathbb{R}$ (since it is an open set). And since $N(0 | \epsilon)$ intersects both $A$ and $A^c$, zero is a border point of $A$.

(ii) For the rest of the points, $\frac{1}{n}$, we can use a similar reasoning. Since $\frac{1}{n}$ is an element of $A$, it must be either an interior or border point. And since we know that $A$ does not contain any interior points, $\frac{1}{n}$ must be a border point. And since $N(\frac{1}{n} | \epsilon)$ exists in $\mathbb{R}$ (even if it doesn't exist in $A$), it must also intersect both $A$ and $A^c$, making $\frac{1}{n}$ a border point of $A$.

So, to answer your main question, yes, you will get the same answers for $int(A)$ and $bd(A)$ regardless of which one you answer first. This is because, as you mentioned, every point in $A$ is either an interior or border point, and since $A$ does not contain any interior points, all of its points must be border points.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work with your real analysis problem!

1. What is the purpose of finding border points and interior points?

Finding border points and interior points is important in many scientific fields, including geography, mathematics, and computer science. These points are used to define the boundaries of a region or space, and can provide valuable information for analyzing data or solving problems.

2. How are border points and interior points determined?

The method for finding border points and interior points will vary depending on the specific problem or context. In general, border points can be identified as points where the value or behavior of a function changes abruptly, while interior points are points where the function is continuous.

3. Can border points and interior points be used to approximate regions or shapes?

Yes, border points and interior points can be used to approximate regions or shapes by connecting them with lines or curves. This technique is commonly used in computer graphics and image processing to create smooth and accurate representations of complex shapes.

4. Are border points and interior points unique for a given region or space?

Border points and interior points are not necessarily unique for a given region or space. Depending on the function or criteria used to identify these points, there may be multiple border points or interior points within a single region. However, the combination of border points and interior points can provide a complete and accurate description of a region.

5. How are border points and interior points relevant in real-world applications?

Finding border points and interior points has many practical applications, such as in geographical mapping, image processing, and optimization problems. These points can help researchers and engineers understand the structure of complex systems and make informed decisions based on data analysis.