Finding Circle Circumference from Inscribed N-Sided Polygen

In summary: So ##\lim_{n\to\infty}2nr\sin \left(\frac{\pi}{n}\right)=2\pi r##.In summary, The perimeter P of a regular polygon of n sides inscribed in a circle of radius r is given by P = 2nr sin (180^o / n). It is possible to approximate the circumference of a circle by taking the limit as n goes to infinity of the perimeter equation. This can be done by expressing the function in terms of other trigonometric functions and applying L'Hôpital's rule. However, care must be taken when using polygonal approximation of lengths, as it may not always give accurate results.
logan3
The perimeter P of a regular polygon of n sides inscribed in a circle of radius r is given by [itex]P = 2nr sin (180^o / n)[/itex].

I was curious whether it's possible to approximate the circumference of a circle by taking the limit as n goes to infinity of the above perimeter equation is some way?

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think it should be possible. As it stands, applying that limit would give you infinite*0.
Is there anyway you could express the same function in terms of other trig functions that would give you inf/inf or 0/0? Then you could potentially apply l'hopital's rule and get something useful.

[itex]P = 2nr \sin (180^o / n) = \frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)} = \frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)}} = \frac {\infty} {\infty}[/itex]

L'Hôpital's rule:
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {f'(n)} {g'(n)}} = \displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {2r} {-\csc (180^o / n) \cot (180^o / n)}}[/itex]

Sorry, this is about as far as I got right now. Also, I'm not sure where the [itex]\pi[/itex] is going to come in for the [itex]C = 2\pi r[/itex], though I assume it will have to come from the trig functions somehow.

[itex]\lim_{n->\infty}\frac {sin(\frac{\pi}{n})}{\frac{\pi}{n}}=1[/itex].
Therefore [itex]\lim_{n->\infty}2nrsin(\frac{\pi}{n})=2\pi r[/itex].

Likes acegikmoqsuwy
Where's the denominator of pi / n come from in the second expression?

It works in this case. But you need to be careful with polygonal approximation of lengths, it might not always give the right answers:
troll_mathemathics_pi.jpg

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
micromass said:
It works in this case. But you need to be careful with polygonal approximation of lengths, it might not always give the right answers:
Hehe. :D

logan3 said:
Where's the denominator of pi / n come from in the second expression?
P=2nrsin(π/n)=2πr(sin(π/n)/(π/n))

I don't understand, sorry.

But it seems like my thoughts about this relationship were in the right direction.

Its just algebra that he did to get it into a new form. Multiply by pi/pi, and kick the n into the denominator of the denominator. Now you have sin (x)/x.

And, of course, ##\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1## only if ##x## is measured in radians.

1. What is the formula for finding the circumference of an inscribed n-sided polygon?

The formula for finding the circumference of an inscribed n-sided polygon is C = n * s, where C is the circumference, n is the number of sides, and s is the length of each side.

2. How do you find the length of each side of an inscribed n-sided polygon?

The length of each side of an inscribed n-sided polygon can be found by dividing the circumference by the number of sides, so s = C/n.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the circumference of an inscribed n-sided polygon?

For example, let's say we have an inscribed octagon with a circumference of 24 cm. We can find the length of each side by dividing the circumference by 8 (since an octagon has 8 sides), so s = 24 cm / 8 = 3 cm. Therefore, the circumference of the inscribed octagon is 24 cm.

4. How accurate is this method for finding the circumference of an inscribed n-sided polygon?

This method is accurate as long as the polygon is truly inscribed within the circle, meaning that all of its vertices lie on the circumference of the circle. If the polygon is not inscribed correctly, the calculated circumference may be slightly off.

5. Can this method be used for finding the circumference of any shape inscribed within a circle?

No, this method is only applicable for finding the circumference of n-sided polygons inscribed within a circle. Other shapes, such as curves or irregular polygons, require different formulas for finding their circumference.