Finding the Sum of Perpendiculars in a 24-Sided Polygon Inscribed in a Circle

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, The problem involves a regular 24 sided polygon inscribed in a circle. A diameter is drawn and perpendiculars are dropped from all the vertices on that side of the diameter. The task is to find the sum of the lengths of the perpendiculars. The solution involves using trig identities and expressing each length in terms of the radius and various angles. The final formula is r∑n=1…12 sin(nπ/12).
armolinasf

Homework Statement

There is a regular 24 sided polygon inscribed in a circle. A diameter is drawn and perpendiculars are dropped from all the vertices on that side of the diameter. Find the sum of the lengths of the perpendiculars.

The Attempt at a Solution

I came across this problem and I have no clue how to approach it. I'm looking for a point in the right direction. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
hi armolinasf!

well, what formula are you starting with? :smile:

No formula was given. It was at the end of a section on trig identities, specifically using them to sum trig series.

You have to find the formula. You have studied trigonometry haven't you?

ehild

My first instinct was to write something like S=r+2(l1+l2+l3+l4+l5), where l is the length of each chord. Should I be looking for a way to express each l in terms of r?

hi armolinasf! :smile:

yes, and the various angles (nπ/12)

Yeah i finally realized that the height of each perpendicular is equal to the sine of the angles...So here my sum:

S=r+2r[sin(pi/12)+sin(pi/6)+sin(pi/4)+sin(pi/3)+sin(5pi/12)]

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is "Finding a sum of chords"?

"Finding a sum of chords" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of the lengths of multiple chords on a circle.

How do you find the sum of chords on a circle?

The sum of chords on a circle can be found by using the formula 2r(sin(a/2)), where "r" is the radius of the circle and "a" is the central angle formed by the chords.

What is the significance of finding a sum of chords?

Finding the sum of chords can be useful in various mathematical applications, such as calculating the area of a sector or determining the arc length of a circle.

Can the sum of chords be negative?

No, the sum of chords cannot be negative as it represents a physical length and cannot have a negative value.

What other formulas are related to finding a sum of chords?

Other formulas related to finding a sum of chords include the chord-chord power theorem and the intersecting chords theorem.