Finding distance of "P" from a plane OQR using vector

I got it. So, let me summarize it.In summary, to find the distance of a point P(3,-2,-1) from the plane OQR with O as the origin, we first find the unit normal vector of the plane by taking the cross product of vectors OQ and OR and dividing it by its norm. Next, we find the projection of the position vector OP onto the direction of the normal vector, which is equal to the distance of point P from the plane. This can be done by taking the scalar product of OP and the unit normal vector.
LeitHunt

Homework Statement

Find th distance of point P to the plane OQR, O being the origin.
"PS" is perpendicular to plane "OQR"
P(3,-2,-1)
S(x,y,z)

O(0,0,0)
Q(1,3,4)
R(2,1,-2)

Homework Equations

A) The equation in terms of (x,y,z) obtain by triple product of OS,OQ & OR.
OS.(OQXOR)=0... [all being co-planar therefore =0]
we get,
-10x+10y-5z=0

B)The Equation on which I'm stuck.I didn't get how PS vector is obtained from coordinates of P & S ;PS=(3-x)i+(-2-y)j+(-1-z)k

Then direction ratio is used to get
x+y=1
y+2z=-4

Now we have 3 equations & 3 Unknowns

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood how first equation is obtained that means by using theorem :- three vector being co-planar then
A.(BXC)=0... (as we get volume from this, being co-planar means no volume)
So equation 1 is obtained that way

Now in Second equation
Vector cross product is done OQ X OR= -10i + 10j -5k
Then,
Where I'm stuck:-
Vector PS is given by (3-X)i + (-2-Y)j+(-1-Z)k,
How? Vector PS is obtained by coordinate of P & S?
Next two equations are simple it just uses the direction ratio.
Solving 3 equation I'll get x,y& z.
Then find vector PS from above and find magnitude of PS that means it's length.
For reference please check below image :-
https://m.imgur.com/a/dEXAT

Physics news on Phys.org
LeitHunt said:

Homework Statement

Find th distance of point P to the plane OQR, O being the origin.
"PS" is perpendicular to plane "OQR"
P(3,-2,-1)
S(x,y,z)

O(0,0,0)
Q(1,3,4)
R(2,1,-2)

Homework Equations

A) The equation in terms of (x,y,z) obtain by triple product of OS,OQ & OR.
OS.(OQXOR)=0... [all being co-planar therefore =0]
we get,
-10x+10y-5z=0

B)The Equation on which I'm stuck.I didn't get how PS vector is obtained from coordinates of P & S ;PS=(3-x)i+(-2-y)j+(-1-z)k

Then direction ratio is used to get
x+y=1
y+2z=-4

Now we have 3 equations & 3 Unknowns

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood how first equation is obtained that means by using theorem :- three vector being co-planar then
A.(BXC)=0... (as we get volume from this, being co-planar means no volume)
So equation 1 is obtained that way

Now in Second equation
Vector cross product is done OQ X OR= -10i + 10j -5k
Then,
Where I'm stuck:-
Vector PS is given by (3-X)i + (-2-Y)j+(-1-Z)k,
How? Vector PS is obtained by coordinate of P & S?

##\vec {PS} = \vec {PO} - \vec {SO}##
LeitHunt said:
Next two equations are simple it just uses the direction ratio.
Solving 3 equation I'll get x,y& z.
Then find vector PS from above and find magnitude of PS that means it's length.
For reference please check below image :-
https://m.imgur.com/a/dEXAT
You make it too complicated. Finding the normal unit vector ##\vec n##
of the plane OQR, the distance of point P from the plane is the projection of ##\vec{PO}## onto ##\vec n ##.

Likes LeitHunt
ehild said:
##\vec {PS} = \vec {PO} - \vec {SO}##

You make it too complicated. Finding the normal unit vector ##\vec n##
of the plane OQR, the distance of point P from the plane is the projection of ##\vec{PO}## onto ##\vec n ##.

I understood now about PS :).

1.But how to find a unit vector of plane in this case?2.Also to find projection of OP I'll need angle POS but "S" co-ordinates are not known. I'm struggling to understand/imagine which angle will be needed for finding component of OP :(

3.[Edit:- I think I get this one,here P is defined from origin O not from S so vector PS is not (3i-2j-k) it's vector OP.]----->I know this is wrong but I have some confusion :-
Why can't I just use vector SP obtained from p(3,-2,-1) find it's magnitude which will be equal to distance of P from plane.Why it's wrong?

Thank you :) for helping

Last edited by a moderator:
LeitHunt said:
I understood now about PS :).

1.But how to find a unit vector of plane in this case?
You need the unit normal vector of the plane OQR. You get a normal vector as the cross product of vectors OQ and OR, and dividing it by the norm, it is the normal unit vector pf the plane.

LeitHunt said:
2.Also to find projection of OP I'll need angle POS but "S" co-ordinates are not known. I'm struggling to understand/imagine which angle will be needed for finding component of OP :(
The angle POS is the same as the angle the vector ##\vec{OP}## encloses with the normal vector ##\vec n##, see picture.

LeitHunt said:
3.[Edit:- I think I get this one,here P is defined from origin O not from S so vector PS is not (3i-2j-k) it's vector OP.]----->I know this is wrong but I have some confusion :-
Why can't I just use vector SP obtained from p(3,-2,-1) find it's magnitude which will be equal to distance of P from plane.Why it's wrong?

Thank you :) for helping
It is not wrong, but complicated.
Point P defines the position vector ##\vec {OP} = 3i -2j -k##
The scalar product ##\vec {OP} \cdot \vec n= |OP| |n| \cos(\theta) = |OP| \cos(\theta)## , is the projection of ##\vec {OP} ## on the direction of the normal vector, and it is the distance of point P from the plane OQR.
upload_2017-10-20_12-45-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-20_12-45-29.png
    upload_2017-10-20_12-45-29.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 740
Likes LeitHunt
ehild said:
You need the unit normal vector of the plane OQR. You get a normal vector as the cross product of vectors OQ and OR, and dividing it by the norm, it is the normal unit vector pf the plane.The angle POS is the same as the angle the vector ##\vec{OP}## encloses with the normal vector ##\vec n##, see picture.It is not wrong, but complicated.
Point P defines the position vector ##\vec {OP} = 3i -2j -k##
The scalar product ##\vec {OP} \cdot \vec n= |OP| |n| \cos(\theta) = |OP| \cos(\theta)## , is the projection of ##\vec {OP} ## on the direction of the normal vector, and it is the distance of point P from the plane OQR.View attachment 213409
Ok now everything is clear. Thanks

1. How do you find the distance of point "P" from a plane OQR using vector?

To find the distance of point "P" from a plane OQR using vector, you first need to determine the equation of the plane in vector form. Then, you can use the formula d = |(a * x0 + b * y0 + c * z0 + d)| / √(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) where (x0, y0, z0) are the coordinates of point "P" and (a, b, c) are the coefficients from the equation of the plane.

2. What is the equation of a plane in vector form?

The equation of a plane in vector form is r * n = p, where r is the position vector of any point on the plane, n is the normal vector of the plane, and p is a constant vector. This equation can also be written as (r - r0) * n = 0, where r0 is a known point on the plane.

3. How do you determine the normal vector of a plane?

To determine the normal vector of a plane, you can use the cross product of two vectors that lie in the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the plane and can be used as the normal vector. Another method is to use the coefficients of the equation of the plane, where (a, b, c) represents the normal vector.

4. Can the distance of a point "P" from a plane OQR be negative?

No, the distance of a point "P" from a plane OQR cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive. If the calculated distance is negative, it means that the point "P" is on the opposite side of the plane from where the normal vector is pointing.

5. What is the significance of finding the distance of a point "P" from a plane OQR?

Finding the distance of a point "P" from a plane OQR is useful in many applications, such as in geometry, physics, and engineering. It can help determine the position of a point relative to a plane, or the shortest distance between a point and a surface. It is also used in solving problems involving lines and planes in three-dimensional space.