Finding equilibrium distance of an orbiting particle.

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an expression for the equilibrium position of a mass m in a circular orbit around a larger mass Ms, with the same period as a smaller mass Me. The equations for a circular orbit and eccentricity are given, and the attempt at a solution involves considering the net force on mass m and finding Lagrange points. It is mentioned that the assumption of m << Me << Ms may be necessary.
phosgene

Homework Statement

In the diagram below, masses m and Me are in circular orbit about Ms with the same period.

http://min.us/i/lprtU83D9cGR

Derive an expression for the equilibrium position r of mass m.

Homework Equations

For a circular orbit, the eccentricity, e = 0.

[itex]e=\sqrt{1+2mEh^{2}k^{-2}}=\frac{mrv^{2}}{GMm}-1[/itex]

Where [itex]h=\frac{L}{m}, k=-GMm[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm kind of assuming that I simply set one of these equations to zero and solve for r, to get something like:

[itex]r=\sqrt{\frac{-G^{2}M_{s}^{2}m}{2Ev^{2}}}[/itex] (which will not be imaginary because in an elliptical orbit E<0)

or

[itex]r=\frac{GM_{s}}{v^{2}}[/itex]

Is it really that simple though? It's a 4 mark question.

**EDIT** I think the above is wrong. I think I should have calculated the period of the mass m in terms of the two other masses, then equated it with the period of the other mass. I think I've got it now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that you need to consider the net force on mass m.

Sounds like you're finding Lagrange points. Are you told to assume m << Me << Ms?

Related to Finding equilibrium distance of an orbiting particle.

1. What is the equilibrium distance of an orbiting particle?

The equilibrium distance of an orbiting particle is the distance at which the gravitational force between the two objects is equal to the centripetal force, resulting in a stable orbit.

2. How is the equilibrium distance of an orbiting particle calculated?

The equilibrium distance can be calculated using the formula: r = GM/(ω^2), where r is the equilibrium distance, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, and ω is the angular velocity of the orbiting particle.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium distance of an orbiting particle?

The equilibrium distance is affected by the mass of the central object, the mass of the orbiting particle, and the angular velocity of the orbit.

4. Can the equilibrium distance change over time?

Yes, the equilibrium distance can change over time if there are changes in the mass or velocity of either the central object or the orbiting particle.

5. Why is finding the equilibrium distance important in understanding orbits?

Finding the equilibrium distance is important because it helps us understand the stability of orbits and how objects move around each other due to gravitational forces. It also allows us to predict the motion of orbiting objects and calculate their orbital parameters.