Finding Event Horizon & Ergosphere: Derivations & Formulas

In summary, a user is seeking help with calculating the event horizon and ergosphere of the Kerr metric. They have been provided with the necessary formulas and references to consult.
user1139
Homework Statement:: See below.
Relevant Equations:: See below.

I am trying to calculate the event horizon and ergosphere of the Kerr metric. However, I could not seem to find a proper derivation or formula to calculate the event horizon and ergosphere. Could someone point me to the appropriate derivations or formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, PeroK, yucheng and 3 others
Thomas1 said:
Homework Statement:: See below.
Relevant Equations:: See below.

I am trying to calculate the event horizon and ergosphere of the Kerr metric. However, I could not seem to find a proper derivation or formula to calculate the event horizon and ergosphere. Could someone point me to the appropriate derivations or formulas?
What texts have you consulted?

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit pre-occupied today and I'm currently fairly drunk.

It's most tractable to use the Boyer-Lindquist form of the metric, for which ##g_{rr}## is seen to diverge whenever ##1-2m/r + a^2/r^2 = 0##. The roots ##r_{\pm}## of this equation correspond to the inner and outer event horizons. One can show that the 3-metric ##\gamma_{ab}## induced on the 3-surfaces ##\Sigma_{\pm}## (defined by ##r = r_{\pm}## respectively, i.e. just put ##dr=0## and ##r=r_{\pm}## in the 4-metric) has vanishing determinant, thereby implying that for any ##p \in \Sigma_{\pm}## there exists a non-zero vector ##v^a## such that ##\gamma_{ab} v^b = 0 \implies \gamma_{ab} v^a v^b = 0 \implies ||v|| = 0##, i.e. a tangent vector to null curves (photon orbits) lying entirely within ##\Sigma_{\pm}##; it should then be clear that null trajectories starting at less than ##r_{+}## do not ever breach ##\Sigma_+##, for example.

As for the ergospheres, they are defined as the region within which it's not possible to remain at fixed spatial ##(r,\theta,\phi)##, for which a necessary condition is that the "still" trajectory (with tangent vector ##u = \partial/\partial t##) is spacelike (and therefore unattainable), ##g_{ab} u^a u^b = g_{tt} u^t u^t > 0 \implies g_{tt} > 0##, i.e.\begin{align*}
\frac{2mr}{r^2 + a^2 \cos^2{\theta}} - 1 > 0
\end{align*}the roots (##r_{\pm}^{\mathrm{e}}##, say) of which define the inner and outer surfaces of the ergosphere.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, vanhees71, Hamiltonian and 2 others
@ergospherical could you list a reference or two on what you have written? I would like to read more about it.

Likes vanhees71
Any book on black hole solutions ought to do really; the last chapter of Poisson's book, "A Relativist's Toolkit", is good, for instance.

Likes vanhees71
@ergospherical I see. However, I’m trying to understand specifically your argument. Hence, I’m hoping there’s a reference that details the arguments you laid out.

Thomas1 said:
@ergospherical I see. However, I’m trying to understand specifically your argument. Hence, I’m hoping there’s a reference that details the arguments you laid out.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0706.0622.pdf

It took me less than a minute to find that!

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and ergospherical
Thomas1 said:
Which bits are bothering you? (Then we can try and explain.)

Likes hutchphd
Thomas1 said:
@ergospherical could you list a reference or two on what you have written? I would like to read more about it.
You have already been asked what texts you have already consulted. Pretty much any GR textbook will give the formulas you are asking for. So will many published papers, such as the one @PeroK has referenced (which is specifically intended for pedagogy). So if you are seriously saying you can't find the formulas you are looking for, you need to look harder. Once you have done that, if you have questions about something specific in whatever reference you find that you decide to use, you can start a new thread asking those questions and giving the specific reference. But expecting others here to hold your hand and lead you to something that can be found in any GR textbook, or in a minute or two of online search as @PeroK did, is not reasonable.

This thread is closed.

Likes vanhees71, berkeman and phinds

1. What is the event horizon and ergosphere?

The event horizon is the boundary around a black hole where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, making it impossible for anything, including light, to escape. The ergosphere is the region outside the event horizon where the space-time continuum is dragged along with the rotating black hole.

2. How is the event horizon and ergosphere calculated?

The event horizon is calculated using the Schwarzschild radius formula, which takes into account the mass of the black hole. The ergosphere is calculated using the Kerr metric, which takes into account the angular momentum of the black hole.

3. What is the significance of the event horizon and ergosphere?

The event horizon and ergosphere are important concepts in understanding the behavior of black holes. They help us understand how gravity affects space and time, and how black holes can distort the fabric of the universe.

4. Can the event horizon and ergosphere be observed?

The event horizon and ergosphere cannot be directly observed, as they are regions of extreme gravity that even light cannot escape from. However, their effects can be observed through the behavior of matter and light around black holes.

5. Are there any real life applications of the event horizon and ergosphere?

The concepts of event horizon and ergosphere have been used in theoretical physics and astrophysics to study the behavior of black holes. They also have implications in understanding the behavior of gravity and space-time in extreme conditions, which could have potential applications in future technologies.