Finding force with trig functions

In summary, to give the 7.5 kg shopping cart an acceleration of 1.41 m/s^2 up a 13 degree incline, a horizontal force of 28N is needed. This is found by considering the net force in the x-direction and accounting for the force of the person and gravity.
Pencil
A shopper pushes a 7.5 kg shopping cart up a 13 degree incline. Find horizontal force needed to give the cart an acceleration of 1.41 m/s^2.

I know the answer is 28N, but I haven't yet figured it out.
I did F=ma F=(7.5)(1.41)cos13= 10.30
what didn't I do?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be forgetting that there are multiple forces acting on this cart and that F=ma means net force (sum of all forces) = ma

The way I do this problem is to create a coordinate system in which the x-axis is parallel to the slope of the plane, that way we can discount forces that are acting in the y-direction (we know that the sum of the forces in the y-direction must equal 0). Only 2 forces have x components, force of the person, and gravity.

Fnet = ma

F - (mgsin13) = ma
F = (7.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) + (9.8 m/s^2)(7.5kg)(sin13)
F = 27.109N

this force we calculated is the force needed to create that acceleration if the person was pushing parallel to the x-axis, but we know he wants to push this horizontally so he will require a little more force.

Fcos13 = 27.109
F = 27.8N

Your approach is correct, but you forgot to include the gravitational force acting on the shopping cart. The total force needed to accelerate the cart up the incline is the sum of the horizontal force and the force of gravity. So the correct equation would be F = ma + mgcos13, where m is the mass of the cart, a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and 13 is the angle of the incline. Plugging in the values, we get F = (7.5)(1.41) + (7.5)(9.8)cos13 = 28N, as you correctly stated. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding force with trig functions

1. What is the formula for finding force using trig functions?

The formula for finding force using trig functions is F = m * a, where m represents mass and a represents acceleration.

2. How can I use trig functions to find the force of an object?

To find the force of an object using trig functions, you will need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. You can then use the formula F = m * a to calculate the force.

3. What role do trig functions play in calculating force?

Trig functions are used in calculating force because they help determine the direction and magnitude of a force vector. This is important in understanding the overall force acting on an object.

4. Can trig functions be used to find the force of an object in motion?

Yes, trig functions can be used to find the force of an object in motion. By using the velocity and acceleration of the object, you can determine the force acting on it using the formula F = m * a.

5. Is it necessary to use trig functions to find force, or are there other methods?

There are other methods for finding force, such as using Newton's laws of motion. However, trig functions are often used in conjunction with these laws to determine the force acting in a specific direction.