Finding heat exchanged work done to compress gas

In summary: It makes it a little easier to remember when you are studying for an exam.Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller! That is a good method that I have not seen before!
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
For this part(b) of this problem:

When a gas expands along AB (see below), it does 20 J of work and absorbs 30 J of heat. When the gas expands along AC, it does 40 J of work and absorbs 70 J of heat. (a) How much heat does the gas exchange along BC? (b) When the gas makes the transition from C to A along CDA, 60 J of work are done on it from C to D. How much heat does it exchange along CDA?

The solution is ##90J##. However, I am getting ##30J##. My working is

##\Delta E_{int_{CDA}} = -\Delta E_{int_{CA}} = -30 ##
##-30 = Q - (-60) ##
## 30 J = Q ##

Can some please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks!
Relevant Equations
First Law of Thermodynamics ##\Delta E_{int} = Q - W##
1680316124814.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If
##-30 = Q - (-60)##,
what do you get when you move ##(-60)## to the left side and change the sign that is in front of it outside the parentheses? Alternatively, get rid of the parentheses first, then move the term over.

Likes MatinSAR and ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
If
##-30 = Q - (-60)##,
what do you get when you move ##(-60)## to the left side and change the sign that is in front of it outside the parentheses? Alternatively, get rid of the parentheses first, then move the term over.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman !

##-30 = Q + 60##
##-90 = Q##

But the solution is ##90 = Q##. Thank you, I guess I messed up in the algebra there, but is the reason why in their answer ##Q > 0## because there are only concerned when the heat exchanged so we don't need to say that the heat is loss from the system?

Many thanks!

Likes kuruman
The easiest way to do this is to take point A as the datum of zero internal energy: ##E_A=0##. Then $$E_B=30-20=10\ J$$
$$E_C=70-40=30\ J$$So $$E_A-E_C=-30=Q+60$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields and MatinSAR
ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @kuruman !

##-30 = Q + 60##
##-90 = Q##

But the solution is ##90 = Q##. Thank you, I guess I messed up in the algebra there, but is the reason why in their answer ##Q > 0## because there are only concerned when the heat exchanged so we don't need to say that the heat is loss from the system?

Many thanks!
Yes. It's the magnitude of the heat that flows between the environment and gas regardless of where this heat starts and ends up. There are four ways to say the same thing:
  1. The heat that leaves the gas and enters the environment is 90 J
  2. The heat that enters the environment from the gas is 90 J.
  3. The heat that leaves the environment and enters the gas is - 90 J.
  4. The heat that enters the gas from the environment is -90 J.
These can be summarized with loss of direction information as "The heat that is exchanged between gas and environment is 90 J." By convention, the ##Q## in the first law of thermodynamics is chosen to represent the heat that enters the gas from the environment, option 4.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Chestermiller said:
The easiest way to do this is to take point A as the datum of zero internal energy: ##E_A=0##. Then $$E_B=30-20=10\ J$$
$$E_C=70-40=30\ J$$So $$E_A-E_C=-30=Q+60$$
Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller ! That is a good method that I have not seen before!

kuruman said:
Yes. It's the magnitude of the heat that flows between the environment and gas regardless of where this heat starts and ends up. There are four ways to say the same thing:
  1. The heat that leaves the gas and enters the environment is 90 J
  2. The heat that enters the environment from the gas is 90 J.
  3. The heat that leaves the environment and enters the gas is - 90 J.
  4. The heat that enters the gas from the environment is -90 J.
These can be summarized with loss of direction information as "The heat that is exchanged between gas and environment is 90 J." By convention, the ##Q## in the first law of thermodynamics is chosen to represent the heat that enters the gas from the environment, option 4.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

That is quite interesting all those combinations of saying the same thing!

1. What is heat exchanged work done to compress gas?

Heat exchanged work done to compress gas refers to the amount of energy that is transferred to a gas during the process of compression. This energy is in the form of heat and is used to increase the temperature and pressure of the gas.

2. How is heat exchanged work done to compress gas calculated?

The heat exchanged work done to compress gas can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure of the gas, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas. This formula is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat exchanged work done to compress gas?

The amount of heat exchanged work done to compress gas is affected by several factors, including the initial and final pressure and volume of the gas, the type of gas being compressed, and the efficiency of the compression process. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure can also impact the amount of work done.

4. Why is it important to consider heat exchanged work done to compress gas?

Considering the heat exchanged work done to compress gas is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of gases in various systems. This information is crucial in the design and operation of many industrial processes, such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and power generation.

5. How can the efficiency of heat exchanged work done to compress gas be improved?

The efficiency of heat exchanged work done to compress gas can be improved by using more efficient compression methods, such as isothermal or adiabatic compression, reducing friction and heat loss during the compression process, and using gases with lower compressibility. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular servicing of compression equipment can also help improve efficiency.