Finding heat lost when waters of different temps. Are mixed

In summary, 90 grams of water at 75°C is mixed with an equal amount of water at 25°C, resulting in a final temperature of 50°C. The hot water loses 25 degrees Celsius and the heat lost can be calculated using the formula Q=mcT, where Q is the heat lost, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water (1 calorie/gram °C), and T is the change in temperature. Using this formula, the heat lost is found to be 2250 calories.
astru025

Homework Statement

90 grams of water at 75°C are mixed with an equal amount of water at 25°C in a completely insulated container. The final temperature of the water is 50°C. How much heat is lost by the hot water?

Homework Equations

The hot water drops to 50 degrees Celsius so it has lost 25 degrees celsius. My answer needs to be in calories though and I'm not sure where to go from here. How do I get 25 degrees Celsius to calories?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is written above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the heat lost by the water will be measured in units of energy, not temperature as you may think. Do you remember this guy?

[tex]Q=mc_{w}\Delta T[/tex]

You need specific heat capacity of water.SpecificHeat capacity of water is 1 calorie/gram °C.So from this you can work out the heat given out by the hot water as its temperature falls.

Okay thank you very much! My book is very light on math/ equations, I had never seen that Q=mcT equation before... I took 1 cal/gram x 90 grams x 25 degrees. I got 2250 cal which proved to be correct! Thanks very much

1. How do you calculate the heat lost when mixing waters of different temperatures?

The heat lost when mixing waters of different temperatures can be calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat lost, m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius. This means that it takes 4.186 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

3. What units are used to measure heat?

The standard unit for measuring heat is joules (J). However, in some cases, calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal) may also be used to measure heat.

4. How does the temperature difference affect the amount of heat lost?

The greater the temperature difference between the two waters, the greater the amount of heat lost. This is because a larger temperature difference results in a larger change in temperature (ΔT) in the formula Q = mCΔT.

5. Is the heat lost when mixing waters of different temperatures the same as the heat gained?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, the amount of heat lost when mixing waters of different temperatures is equal to the amount of heat gained. This means that the total energy in the system remains constant.