Finding height and volume of a cylinder

In summary, the given problem asks to optimize the volume of a cylinder with a known radius, where optimization means to make the volume as large as possible. However, without any additional information, it is not possible to solve the problem accurately. It is recommended to ask the instructor for clarification.
Kirito123

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-12_14-2-45.png

Homework Equations

Volume for cylinder = Pi (r)2 h

Optimise : 1. make the best or most effective use of (a situation, opportunity, or resource).
2. rearrange or rewrite (data, software, etc.) to improve efficiency of retrieval or processing.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the Radius is 5, which means it has a diameter of 10. What i don't understand is how can you find the height without knowing the volume??

If I get the volume I can apply it to this new formula to find the height: H = v / pi(r)2.
I may have misunderstood the question or the meaning of optimise, which is my fault but if you do manage to help me out then THANKS ALOT.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be a really simple question but i think i misunderstood what they want or something.

Kirito123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 100625

Homework Equations

Volume for cylinder = Pi (r)2 h

Optimise : 1. make the best or most effective use of (a situation, opportunity, or resource).
2. rearrange or rewrite (data, software, etc.) to improve efficiency of retrieval or processing.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the Radius is 5, which means it has a diameter of 10. What i don't understand is how can you find the height without knowing the volume??

If I get the volume I can apply it to this new formula to find the height: H = v / pi(r)2.
I may have misunderstood the question or the meaning of optimise, which is my fault but if you do manage to help me out then THANKS ALOT.
Is this the exact wording of the problem? For the problem you posted, I'm interpreting "optimize the volume" to mean "make the volume as large as possible."

With the radius as shown in the drawing, you can make the volume as large as you want merely by increasing h. IOW, for a given value of h, you can double the volume of the cylinder just by doubling the value of h.

Unless there is some other information that you didn't show, I don't see any way of answering the question in this problem.

Mark44 said:
Is this the exact wording of the problem? For the problem you posted, I'm interpreting "optimize the volume" to mean "make the volume as large as possible."

Yes this is the exact wording, and that's also why i don't understand the question. There should be more information but that's all they gave.

The best advice I can give is for you to ask your instructor to explain what is meant by "optimize the volume" in this question..

Ok then well thanks a lot anyway. :smile:

The question you posted is #2. What is question #1? It might have some context that pertains to question 2.

question 1 is talking about Pythagorean theorem, which has nothing to do with this. there is no relation between them or else i would have posted. I just sent my instructor a message.

upload_2016-5-12_14-58-48.png

I agree the wording isn't clear. My guess at the intent is to find the height that gives the most volume per unit area of wall. This would be a problem with a non-trivial answer and a real world application (how do I use the least steel and get the most capacity in my drum?).

well i sent my teacher a message waiting for a reply, at least now i know the question didn't make sense to only me :)

1. How do you find the height of a cylinder?

To find the height of a cylinder, you need to measure the distance between the two circular bases of the cylinder. This is also known as the vertical distance. You can use a ruler, measuring tape, or any other measuring tool to determine the height.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the circular base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

To calculate the volume of a cylinder, you need to plug in the values of the radius and height into the formula V = πr²h. Make sure that the units of measurement are consistent (e.g. if the radius is measured in inches, the height should also be measured in inches) before plugging in the values.

4. Can you use the volume formula for a cylinder with a slanted or tilted top?

Yes, the volume formula for a cylinder can still be used for a cylinder with a slanted or tilted top. However, the height in the formula should be the vertical height, or the distance between the two circular bases. The slanted or tilted top does not affect the volume calculation.

5. Is there a difference between the height and the length of a cylinder?

Yes, there is a difference between the height and the length of a cylinder. The height is the vertical distance between the two circular bases, while the length is the distance around the curved surface of the cylinder. The length is also known as the circumference of the cylinder.