Finding impact speed of a high altitude free fall

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the impact speed of a body released from rest at an altitude above the surface of Earth, using the equations for conservation of mechanical energy and gravitational potential energy. The correct answer is found to be 1.10 x 10^4 m/s, which is one of the options in a multiple choice question.
Kavorka
If we neglect the effects of air resistance, the impact speed of a body of mass m released from rest at an altitude of 2 x 10^8 m above the surface of Earth (mass of Earth = M = 5.99 x 10^24 kg, radius of Earth = 6.37 x 10^6 m)

It's a multiple choice and I think I have it, but I just want to make sure because we just scraped over the surface of gravitation.

I used conservation of mechanical energy where ΔU = -GMm/r and ΔK = (1/2)mv^2
Setting them equal and opposite, m cancels and we get:

v^2 = 2GM/r, where r is the radius of Earth plus the altitude. I get that the answer is 1968 m/s. Am I doing this correct? I only ask because my answer would then be "None of these is correct" for the multiple choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that the change in potential energy radius would be the altitude minus the radius of earth...but it still comes out to about 2000 m/s which is still not an answer.

I used a different equation for gravitational potential energy: U = -(Gmm/R)(R + h)^-1 where h is the altitude and R is the radius of earth, and found an answer that is in the multiple choice: 1.10 x 10^4 m/s

1. How do you calculate the impact speed of a high altitude free fall?

The impact speed of a high altitude free fall is calculated using the formula: v = sqrt(2gh), where v is the impact speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the fall in meters. This formula assumes that there is no air resistance and that the fall is straight down.

2. What factors can affect the impact speed of a high altitude free fall?

Several factors can affect the impact speed of a high altitude free fall, including the height of the fall, the mass and shape of the falling object, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also have an impact on the final speed.

3. How accurate is the calculation of impact speed for a high altitude free fall?

The calculation of impact speed for a high altitude free fall can be quite accurate if the assumptions of the formula are met. However, in real-life situations, there may be other factors at play that can affect the accuracy, such as wind and air resistance. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating the impact speed.

4. Can the impact speed of a high altitude free fall be determined in real-time?

Yes, the impact speed of a high altitude free fall can be determined in real-time using specialized equipment such as altimeters and accelerometers. These devices can measure the height and speed of the fall and provide accurate data for calculating the impact speed.

5. How can knowing the impact speed of a high altitude free fall be useful?

Knowing the impact speed of a high altitude free fall can be useful in a variety of situations, such as in the design of parachutes and other safety equipment for extreme sports. It can also be helpful for understanding the effects of high-speed impacts on the human body and for predicting the potential damage of falling objects.