Finding Initial velocity given certain variables

In summary, the problem is to find the magnitude and direction of the initial velocity of a baseball given its final velocity, displacement on the Y axis, and acceleration data. The equations relevant to this problem are the magnitude and direction equations for initial velocity. The attempted solution involved finding the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity using trigonometry and the kinematic equations. The correct solution involves setting up a system of equations using the displacement and final velocity equations and solving for time, then using time to find the vertical component of the initial velocity.
Ryang

Homework Statement

To Find initial velocity, given final velocity, and displacement on Y axis.

Hello. I've spent four hours trying different solutions to this following problem, none of which have worked. I've just started my undenominated science degree, and since I havn't started lectures yet I've worked ahead in my physics book, to avoid getting stuck later on in the year. Help with workings would be much appreciated.Given:

"an baseball has velocity of 36 m/s, at an angle of 28 from the horizontal (x axis). The positive directions are to the right of the horizontal, and the top of the vertical axis. Ignoring air resistance, find the magnitude and direction of the initial velocity of the object."

- The objects final position is displaced +7.5 metres on the Y axis from its original position. -- Final velocity is 36 m/s, 28 degrees down from the horizontal.
- Acceleration on the X axis is obviously = 0m/s
- Acceleration on the Y axis is = -9.80 m/s

Unknown

The Unknown variables are the:

Magnitude of initial velocity.
Direction of initial velocity.

Homework Equations

These are the equations I imagine are relevant.

Initial Velocity

Magnitude = Vo = √Vox2 + Voy2

Direction = Theta = Tan inverse (Voy/Vox)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, I'm not great with using the mathmatical symbols on this board. I'll do my best.

V = 36m/s
Vx and Vy form a right angle triangle to V.

36/Sin 90 = Vy/ Sin 28

36 m/s (Sin 28) = Vy

Vy = 16.90

362 = 16.92 + 19.12

Vx = √19.1 = 4.37

- - - - - - - - - - - -

To find Voy, I tried oy = + √(-36 sin 28)2 - 2 (-9.80)(7.5) = 20.8

Voy = 20.80 m/s
Vox = 4.37 m/s

- - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -

Problem:

using pythagorases theorum for a right triangle, I found that the velocity V0 was = 21.25, but my book says that the magnitude for the velocity should be:

38m/s

Where am I going wrong?? I would really appreciate help, very sorry if I didn't provide sufficient workings but I think I did. And sorry if my inevitably idiotic error is frustrating for you to see, I'm not very mathematically inclined, which is the reason I'm practicing so much. Thanks

Ryan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your 16.9 for the Vfy, but I get
Vfx = 36*cos(28) = 31.79 instead of your 4.37.
You don't say how you got the initial speed. I used
d = Vit+½at² and Vf = Vi+at simultaneously to get the vertical Vi, which resulted in a combined initial speed of 38.

Thanks, I've redone the calculation and managed to get the Vfx and Vfy values correct. I've tried the d = Vit+½at² equation before, and got:

Code:
7.5m = (V[SUB]i[/SUB])(t) - 4.9 (t)[SUP]2[/SUP].

to find time I rejigged

Code:
a = 0.5 (V[SUB]ox[/SUB] + V[SUB]t[/SUB])t

to give

Code:
t = a/0.5(V[SUB]ox [/SUB]+ V[SUB]x[/SUB])

2t = (2)(-9.80)/(X + 16.9m/s)

But their is both an X and T variable in this equation, so I have no idea how to solve for Vox.

- - - - - -

I also tried:

Code:
V[SUB]y[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP] = V[SUB]oy[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP] + 2 (a[SUB]y[/SUB])(y)

31.8[SUP]2[/SUP] = V[SUB]oy[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP] + 2(-9.80)(7.5)

31.8 = √voy[SUP]2[/SUP] - √147

31.8 + 12.1 = V[SUB]oy[/SUB]

43.9 m/s = V[SUB]oy[/SUB]

the initial velocity is only 38m/s, and pythagoras's theorem implies that Voy < Vo. So this solution is false. Where am I going wrong.

I appreciate the help, thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
7.5m = (Vi)(t) - 4.9 (t)²
This looks good. You also have
Vf = Vi + at
16.9 = Vi - 9.8t
If you solve the system of these 2 equations, you'll get Vi (vertical).

To solve

½(-9.80)(t) + (vi)(t) = 7.5m
vi = (16.9-9.8t)

-4.9t + (16.9-9.8t)(t) = 7.5m

quadratic equation

9.8t² + 12t – 7.5 = 0

{-b ± (square root)b² - 4ac} / 2a

- 12 ± (square root) 144 – 4 (9.8)(-7.5) / 2(9.8)

{12 ± 20.9}/19.6

1.6 or – 0.5

Vi = (16.9 – 9.8t)

Vi = (16.9 – 9.8 (1.6)) < = > 16.9 – 9.8 (1.6)) ≤ 32 m/s

Vi = 1.2

------

Looking at the quadratic equation, I reckon the solution for t lies somewhere around 0.15s, which is definitely too small a time period to be correct.

Gravity acts at -9.8m/s² in this case, and if the equation only ran for 0.5 seconds the ball wouldn’t even begin to move towards the negative y, given the initial velocity is 42m/s. It’d probably take at least take 3 seconds for the Vy = 0.

The equation 9.8t² + 12t – 7.5 = 0 is obviously, non – linear, since when this thing essentially describes a differential curve, but I don’t now how to solve non linear equations. Are they solved using matrixes or something??

Sorry for wasting so much time with this stupid question, but it is pretty important that I learn how to derive Vo’s from V’s, and visa versa, it’s the fundamental element of kinematics really. I would trouble my lecturers, but we havn’t even started Vectors yet in Physics, and in a class of 400 they hardly want to be bothered by a student.

-------

You have 7.5m = (Vi)(t) - 4.9 (t)² [1]
and Vf = Vi + at
-16.9 = Vi - 9.8t [2]
Solve [2] for Vi = 9.8t - 16.9 and sub in [1]:
7.5 = 9.8t² - 16.9 t - 4.9t²
0 = 4.9t² - 16.9t - 7.5
Once you get t, you can use [2] again to find the vertical Vi.

Solved it. Thanks a million for the help, I really appreciate it:D

Related to Finding Initial velocity given certain variables

1. What are the variables needed to find the initial velocity?

The variables needed to find the initial velocity are displacement, time, and acceleration. These variables can be represented by the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen in the equation.

3. How do you calculate initial velocity if acceleration is not constant?

If acceleration is not constant, you can still use the equation v = u + at, but you will need to use the average acceleration over a specific time interval instead of a single value. This can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

4. What if the object starts from rest?

If the object starts from rest, the initial velocity (u) will be 0. This means the equation v = u + at simplifies to v = at.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the initial velocity?

The angle of launch affects the initial velocity by changing the direction of the velocity vector. The initial velocity can be calculated using the components of the velocity in the horizontal and vertical directions, which are determined by the angle of launch.