Finding internal resistance & EMF of a battery in a circuit

In summary, to calculate the emf and internal resistance of a battery, you can treat the circuit as an ideal cell with two resistors in series. By writing KVL loop equations and solving for the two unknowns, the internal resistance and emf can be determined. This method was used to find that the emf of the battery is 151.2 V and the internal resistance is 11.2 Ω, given the data of a 14 Ω and 64.4 Ω external resistor. It is important to understand the principles of KVL and KCL, as well as Ohm's Law, in order to properly analyze circuits and solve problems involving batteries.
lb20

Homework Statement

When an external resistor of resistance R 1 = 14 Ω is connected to the terminals of a battery, a current of 6.0 A flows through the resistor. When an external resistor of resistance R2 = 64.4 Ω is connected instead, the current is 2.0 A. Calculate the emf and the internal resistance of the battery.

Homework Equations

Volts = I * R
Power= I2* R
Power= V * I
(R=resistance)
(I=Current)

The Attempt at a Solution

V = I * R
V1= 6 * 14
V1= 84 Volts

V2= 2*64.4
V2= 128.8 Volts

I do not know how to continue

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're missing something:

lb20 said:
Calculate the emf and the internal resistance of the battery.

How would you find the bolded part?

No, I am not missing anything. I wrote it directly from a question in a quiz that I got wrong. In reference to the bolded part, I have no clue.

lb20 said:
No, I am not missing anything. I wrote it directly from a question in a quiz that I got wrong. In reference to the bolded part, I have no clue.
It's the implications of the bolded part that you're missing.

Start by making a sketch of the circuit (say for the first case with the 14 Ω resistor). Write KVL for the loop and show us what you get.

lb20 said:
When an external resistor of resistance R 1 = 14 Ω is connected to the terminals of a battery, a current of 6.0 A flows through the resistor. When an external resistor of resistance R = 64.4 Ω is connected instead, the current is 2.0 A. Calculate the emf. and the internal resistance of the battery.
Nice question. Where is your attempted solution.
Hint: Treat the circuit as an ideal cell with two resistors in Series - one of them is the Internal resistance, which cannot change, the other is the external (circuit) resistance. You can generate a pair of simultaneous equations to find the Emf of the ideal cell and the internal resistance. You were not asked for the Emf of the cell, so once you have the Internal resistance value you can actually stop.

lb20 said:

When it comes to batteries, do you know what internal resistance is?

Internal resistance is the resistor inside a battery and next to the emf, which is like the source, and together they give out the terminal voltage right? and I don't understand what KVL means.
I drew the circuit and if I treat the circuit as an ideal cell with two resistors in series would it mean that
84 + 6r =emf ?
and
128.8 + 2r= emf ?

OHH
I got:

r = 11.2 Ω
and
Emf = 151.2 V

Would that be right? : )

KVL is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. KCL is Kirchhoff's Current Law. You should look those up as they along with Ohm's Law are the basis of all circuit analysis and you will need them for almost every problem involving circuits.

What you calculated in your first post was the voltages across the external resistors, which also happens to be the voltages presented at the battery terminals in each case.

So an expression like "84r" would imply a voltage multiplied by a resistance, which doesn't make sense in terms of Ohm's Law, which would have you multiply current by resistance to make a voltage. Again, look at writing KVL loop equations for each case so that you will have two equations in the two unknowns that you want to find.

lb20 said:
OHH
I got:

r = 11.2 Ω
and
Emf = 151.2 V

Without doing the math myself I'd say l that looks reasonable for the given data. Are you clear on the steps you took to get there?

lb20 said:
OHH
I got:

r = 11.2 Ω
and
Emf = 151.2 V

For part 1:
Since ##I = \frac{V}{R}##, and ##R## is ##11.2 + 14=25.2##, then ##\frac{151.2V}{25.2Ω} = 6A##

That looks good to me. You can double check part 2 if you'd like.

Thank Youu!

gneill said:
KVL is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. KCL is Kirchhoff's Current Law. You should look those up as they along with Ohm's Law are the basis of all circuit analysis and you will need them for almost every problem involving circuits.

What you calculated in your first post was the voltages across the external resistors, which also happens to be the voltages presented at the battery terminals in each case.

So an expression like "84r" would imply a voltage multiplied by a resistance, which doesn't make sense in terms of Ohm's Law, which would have you multiply current by resistance to make a voltage. Again, look at writing KVL loop equations for each case so that you will have two equations in the two unknowns that you want to find.Without doing the math myself I'd say l that looks reasonable for the given data. Are you clear on the steps you took to get there?
Ok! and Yess I understood the steps. Thank Youu!

1. What is internal resistance in a battery?

Internal resistance in a battery is the resistance that exists within the battery itself, due to the materials and design of the battery. This resistance can cause a decrease in the voltage output of the battery, especially when the battery is being used to power a circuit.

2. How do you measure the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be measured by creating a simple circuit with the battery, a resistor, and a voltmeter. By measuring the voltage across the resistor and the voltage across the battery (with and without the resistor in the circuit), the internal resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law.

3. What is EMF of a battery?

EMF stands for "electromotive force" and it refers to the maximum potential difference that a battery can provide. It is a measure of the battery's ability to push electrons through a circuit, and is measured in volts.

4. How is EMF of a battery related to its internal resistance?

The EMF of a battery is directly related to its internal resistance. As the internal resistance increases, the EMF of the battery decreases. This is because a higher internal resistance creates more resistance within the battery and reduces the voltage output.

5. Can the internal resistance and EMF of a battery change over time?

Yes, the internal resistance and EMF of a battery can change over time due to factors such as age, temperature, and usage. As a battery gets older and is used more, its internal resistance may increase, causing a decrease in its EMF. Similarly, extreme temperatures can also affect the internal resistance and EMF of a battery.