Finding internal resistance from 2 circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a battery with an emf of 60V and an internal resistance (r) connected to different external resistances, resulting in different power losses. The internal resistance remains the same, but the voltage drop across it changes with the current. When solving for the internal resistance, a quadratic equation is obtained, but further calculations using different power loss formulas may result in different answers due to the varying voltage drop across the internal resistance.
BathroomUser

Homework Statement

A battery with an emf of 60 V and an internal resistance (r) is connected to a 10 ohm external resistance. The power lost inside the battery is 50w. The same battery is then connected to a 4.0 ohm resistance. The power loss is 200w. What is the internal resistance of the battery?
Diagrams:
http://i.imgur.com/LUF75yR.png

Homework Equations

P=VI
P=I2R
V=IR
P=V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

P=VI1 4P=VI2

VI1=VI2/4

4 x I1=I2

4(V/(r+10))=(V/(r+4.0)

4/(r+10)=1/(r+4.0)

4(r+4.0)=r+10

4r+16.0=r+10

r=-2 Ω

Physics news on Phys.org
Re:

P=vi1 4p=vi2

and

4 x I1=I2

If the current is x4 different would the voltage drop across the internal resistance be the same?

The voltage drop across the internal would be the same as we're using the same source and the only difference is the external resistor

BathroomUser said:
The voltage drop across the internal would be the same as we're using the same source and the only difference is the external resistor

So, for the same resistance (the internal resistance), if the current changes the voltage drop remains the same? What happened to Ohm's Law?

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
So, for the same resistance (the internal resistance), if the current changes the voltage drop remains the same? What happened to Ohm's Law?

But the thing is that we have r+10 and r+4 equating to our resistance, so couldn't it be the r be the same number though?

BathroomUser said:
But the thing is that we have r+10 and r+4 equating to our resistance, so couldn't it be the r be the same number though?

Yes, the internal resistance r stays the same. No, the potential drop across r is not constant if the current changes. Ohm's law is, well... it's the law! :smile:

Try writing an expression for the power developed by r for a given load (say the 10 Ohm load). Knowing that the result should be 50W, solve for r. (you should find a quadratic equation that returns two potential solutions). Do the same for the other load. What do you find?

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Yes, the internal resistance r stays the same. No, the potential drop across r is not constant if the current changes. Ohm's law is, well... it's the law! :smile:

Try writing an expression for the power developed by r for a given load (say the 10 Ohm load). Knowing that the result should be 50W, solve for r. (you should find a quadratic equation that returns two potential solutions). Do the same for the other load. What do you find?

Thank you so much! I enjoy that you are not exactly spoon feeding me the answer but instead going through the logistics of the concepts! I will apply those and come back if a problem arises

gneill said:

A new problem has arisen when I use the r value I find to plug into other power loss formulas, ie P=VI and P=V^2/R the answer are different.

Attempts:

P=VI I=V/R
P=60(60/(10+2))

P=V^2/r
=60^2/2

BathroomUser said:
A new problem has arisen when I use the r value I find to plug into other power loss formulas, ie P=VI and P=V^2/R the answer are different.

Attempts:

P=VI I=V/R
P=60(60/(10+2))

P=V^2/r
=60^2/2

The voltage across r is not the same as the voltage across r + 4Ω, or r + 10Ω. That is, the whole emf of 60V does not appear across r.

Rather than inserting additional steps to find the portion of the 60V that appears across r in each case, employ another expression for the power dissipated by a resistor R with current I flowing through it: P = I2R

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
The voltage across r is not the same as the voltage across r + 4Ω, or r + 10Ω. That is, the whole emf of 60V does not appear across r.

Rather than inserting additional steps to find the portion of the 60V that appears across r in each case, employ another expression for the power dissipated by a resistor R with current I flowing through it: P = I2R

Makes sense. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. Thank you so much for the help though!

Related to Finding internal resistance from 2 circuits

1. How do I calculate the internal resistance of a circuit?

To calculate the internal resistance of a circuit, you need to measure the voltage and current of the circuit with and without a load. Then, use the formula R = (V - Vload) / Iload, where R is the internal resistance, V is the voltage without a load, Vload is the voltage with a load, and Iload is the current with a load.

2. What is the purpose of finding the internal resistance of a circuit?

Knowing the internal resistance of a circuit is important for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices. It can help determine the efficiency of the circuit and identify any potential issues or faults.

3. Can the internal resistance of a circuit change?

Yes, the internal resistance of a circuit can change due to factors such as temperature, age of components, and the type of load attached to the circuit. It is important to regularly check and recalculate the internal resistance if needed.

4. How do I measure the voltage and current of a circuit?

You can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current of a circuit. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate settings and follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the internal resistance of a circuit?

There are some limitations to calculating the internal resistance of a circuit. The formula assumes that the voltage and current are constant, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the resistance of the multimeter used to measure the voltage and current can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.