Finding Intersection Points Between Circle & Line

In summary, the conversation discusses how to verify if two curves meet orthogonally, specifically the curves $x^2+y^2=4$ and $x^2=3y^2$. It is suggested to find the implicit derivative of the circle and compare it to the line, showing that the product of the slopes is -1. However, when finding the intersection points, there is a mistake in the order of points. The correct points of intersection are $(\pm\sqrt{3}, \pm 1)$. It is also mentioned that in general, the product of the slopes of two curve families is -1 at the points of intersection, making them orthogonal trajectories.
Lancelot1
Hello,

I wish to verify that the following pair ofcurves meet orthogonally.

\[x^{2}+y^{2}=4\]

and

\[x^{2}=3y^{2}\]

I recognize that the first is a circle, and the second contains 2 lines (y=1/3*x and y=-1/3*x).

I thought to get an implicit derivative of the circle, and to compare it to the line, showing that the slopes multiplication is -1. It did not work. How do I find the intersection points between the line and the circle? How to I proceed if the implicit derivative is -y/x ?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
$x^2+y^2=4$

$x^2=3y^2$

sub ...

$3y^2+y^2=4 \implies y = \pm 1 \implies x = \pm \sqrt{3}$

four points of intersection ...

$(1,\sqrt{3}), \, (1,-\sqrt{3}), \, (-1,\sqrt{3}), \, (-1,-\sqrt{3})$

note ...

$x^2+y^2=4 \implies \dfrac{dy}{dx} = -\dfrac{x}{y}$

$x^2 = 3y^2 \implies \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x}{3y}$

$-\dfrac{x}{y} \cdot \dfrac{x}{3y} = -\dfrac{x^2}{3y^2} = -1$

product of the slopes is $-1$ ...

In general, suppose we have the following two families of curves:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=r^2\implies \d{y}{x}=-\frac{x}{y}\)

\(\displaystyle x^2=ky^2\implies \d{y}{x}=\frac{x}{ky}\)

At the points of intersection of the two families, we find:

\(\displaystyle \left(x^2,y^2\right)=\left(\frac{kr^2}{k+1},\frac{r^2}{k+1}\right)\)

The product $P$ of the slopes of the two families is:

\(\displaystyle P=-\frac{x^2}{ky^2}\)

And so at the points of intersection, we have:

\(\displaystyle P=-\frac{\dfrac{kr^2}{k+1}}{k\dfrac{r^2}{k+1}}=-1\)

And so we conclude the families are orthogonal trajectories. :D

Thank you both !

skeeter, I think you got the points in the wrong order (y,x), but I get the idea, thank you ! :D

Lancelot said:
... skeeter, I think you got the points in the wrong order (y,x), but I get the idea, thank you ! :D

sorry ... discalcula error. :rolleyes:

1. How do you find the intersection point between a circle and a line?

To find the intersection point between a circle and a line, you can use the equation of the circle and the equation of the line to solve for the coordinates of the point where they intersect. This can be done through substitution or elimination, depending on the specific equations.

2. Can there be more than one intersection point between a circle and a line?

Yes, there can be more than one intersection point between a circle and a line. This can occur when the circle and line intersect at two different points along the circle's circumference.

3. How do you know if a circle and a line do not intersect?

If the equation of the line and the equation of the circle do not have any common solutions, then the circle and line do not intersect. Graphically, this would mean that the line does not touch or cross the circle at any point.

4. What is the difference between a tangent line and an intersection point?

A tangent line is a line that touches a circle at one point, while an intersection point is a point where a line and a circle cross or meet. A tangent line can be thought of as a special case of an intersection point, where the line only intersects the circle at one point.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding intersection points between circles and lines?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding intersection points between circles and lines. For example, this concept can be used in geometry to determine the location of a point relative to a circle. It can also be used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving circles and lines, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile.