Finding inverse of F in Munkres' Topology Ch.2 EX 5 pg 106

In summary, Peter is trying to find the inverse of a function F and is having difficulty doing so. He finds that if he solves for y in terms of x, he needs the "+" sign for the square root, which is different from the formula that Munkres gives for G(y). However, once he rationalises the denominator of Munkres's formula, he realises that the two solutions are equivalent.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Munkres book "Topology" (Second Edition), Munkres proves that a function F is a homeomorphism ...

I need help in determining how to find the inverse of \(\displaystyle F\) ... so that I feel I have a full understanding of all aspects of the example ...

Example 5 reads as follows:View attachment 4193Wishing to understand all aspects of the problem I tried to see how given

\(\displaystyle F(x) = \frac{x}{1 - x^2} \)

one could determine the inverse of \(\displaystyle F\) (and then come up with \(\displaystyle G\), as Munkres did ... ... somehow ??) ... ...I think I proceed by putting

\(\displaystyle y = \frac{x}{1 - x^2}\)

and solving for \(\displaystyle x\) ... ... BUT how exactly do I proceed (I got nowhere with this problem!)Can someone please help?NOTE... I realize that being able to determine the inverse of F and show it is G is not strictly necessary in showing that F is a homeomorphism ... BUT ... I feel very dissatisfied that I cannot see exactly how this works ... so, again, I hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I tried to see how given

\(\displaystyle F(x) = \frac{x}{1 - x^2} \)

one could determine the inverse of \(\displaystyle F\) (and then come up with \(\displaystyle G\), as Munkres did ... ... somehow ??) ... ...I think I proceed by putting

\(\displaystyle y = \frac{x}{1 - x^2}\)

and solving for \(\displaystyle x\)
If \(\displaystyle y = \frac{x}{1 - x^2}\) then $yx^2 + x - y = 0$. Solving that quadratic equation for $x$, you get $x = \dfrac{-1 \pm\sqrt{1+4y^2}}{2y}$. You want the solution for which $x\in (-1,1)$, which means that you need the $+$ sign for the square root: $x = \dfrac{-1 + \sqrt{1+4y^2}}{2y}$. That looks different from the formula that Munkres gives for $G(y)$, but if you rationalise the denominator of his formula (multiplying top and bottom of his fraction by $-1 + \sqrt{1+4y^2}$) then you see that the two solutions are equivalent.

Opalg said:
If \(\displaystyle y = \frac{x}{1 - x^2}\) then $yx^2 + x - y = 0$. Solving that quadratic equation for $x$, you get $x = \dfrac{-1 \pm\sqrt{1+4y^2}}{2y}$. You want the solution for which $x\in (-1,1)$, which means that you need the $+$ sign for the square root: $x = \dfrac{-1 + \sqrt{1+4y^2}}{2y}$. That looks different from the formula that Munkres gives for $G(y)$, but if you rationalise the denominator of his formula (multiplying top and bottom of his fraction by $-1 + \sqrt{1+4y^2}$) then you see that the two solutions are equivalent.
Thanks Opalg ... quite straightforward really... Another case of "easy when you know how" ...

Thanks again for your support and help with this problem ...

Peter

1. What is the definition of the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function f is a new function, denoted as f-1, that undoes the action of f. In other words, if we apply f followed by f-1 to any input, we will get back the original input.

2. How is the inverse of a function related to the original function?

The inverse of a function is closely related to the original function. The inverse of f switches the roles of the input and output of f. This means that the domain of f becomes the range of f-1 and vice versa.

3. In Munkres' Topology, what is the significance of finding the inverse of F in Chapter 2, Exercise 5 on page 106?

In Chapter 2, Exercise 5 of Munkres' Topology, finding the inverse of F is important because it allows us to determine if a given function is bijective. If F has an inverse, then it is a bijection, which means it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

4. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow these steps:

• Write the function in the form y = f(x).
  • Swap the positions of x and y, so that the function becomes x = f(y).
  • Solve for y in terms of x.
  • The resulting function is the inverse of the original function.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when finding the inverse of a function?

Yes, there are some restrictions and limitations when finding the inverse of a function. The original function must be a bijection in order for an inverse to exist. Additionally, the inverse function must also be a function, which means that each input of the original function should have a unique output, and vice versa.