Finding homeomorphism between topological spaces

In summary: R}## whose image is not closed. For example, the closed interval ##[0,1]## is mapped to the open interval ##[0,\pi/4)##. Therefore, the statement that ##\arctan## is not closed follows from the fact that it is not surjective.
nightingale123

Homework Statement

show that the two topological spaces are homeomorphic.
71197c5d6992276d973a4fd5ade7fd30.png

Homework Equations

Two spaces are homeomorphic if there exists a continuous bijection with a continuous inverse between them

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried proving that these two spaces are homeomorphic, however I have no idea whether or not I have done it correctly.
I would really appreciate it if somebody could check my work and give me some tips / comment what I could have done better or different
So I began by drawing both spaces

WP_20171118_23_24_56_Rich.jpg

Then I tried to make a "plan" on how I how transform ##x\rightarrow y##
1. rotate ##X## by ##\frac{\pi}{2}##
2. flatten the bottom part of the circle
3. shrink ##X## so that the top of ##X## touches ##Y##
4. finally shrink ##X## to ##y##

##f(r,\theta)=(r,\theta-\frac{\pi}{2})## this function is continuous and its inverse ##g(r,\theta)=(r,\theta+\frac{\pi}{2})## is also continuous

##f(x,y)=(x,y+\sqrt{1-x^2})## is continuous and its inverse is continuous ##g(x,y)=(x,y-\sqrt{1-x^2})##

##f(x,y)=(x,y/2)## is continuous and its inverse is continuous ##g(x,y)=(x,2y)##

##f(x,y)=(x,\frac{y(-x^4+1)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}})## is continuous and its inverse is continuous ##g(x,y)=(x,\frac{y\sqrt{1-x^2}}{(-x^4+1)})##

as you can probably see I did in 4 steps what my professor would do in 1 maybe 2 functions at most I just find it really hard if I would have tried looking for the function directly.

Also could somebody tell me if this statement is true
the function ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## given with ##f(x)=\arctan{x}## is closed.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 71197c5d6992276d973a4fd5ade7fd30.png
    71197c5d6992276d973a4fd5ade7fd30.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 719
  • WP_20171118_23_24_56_Rich.jpg
    WP_20171118_23_24_56_Rich.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
To help other readers:
$$X= \{\,(x,y)\,\vert \,x^2+y^2 < 1\,\} \cup \{\,(x,y)\,\vert \,(x^2+y^2 = 1)\,\wedge \,(x < 0)\,\}\, , \,Y=\{\,(x,y)\,\vert \,0<y\leq -x^4+ 1\,\}$$
I haven't checked your answer, because you didn't mention the spaces you map, which is important for your continuity claims. Also your coordinate change should be a bit more detailed, to guarantee bijectivity which might get lost. Of course one "sees" that both spaces are homeomorphic, but to actually name the bijections can sometimes be a bit complicated. I would stretch ##Y## first and rotate it at last, but the deformation is the crucial point and a bit difficult as you can't just stretch the open boundary to an open half disc. So probably a) stretch ##Y## to a half disc on the left, b) make ##Y## a disc, and c) rotate the thing is the natural way to solve it.

To your last question: Is ##\operatorname{arc tan}## bijective on the branch you define it and is it homeomorphic to the real line?

Likes nightingale123
Sorry my mistake I probably should have written the spaces I am mapping to.1.
This function should map from ##X\rightarrow B=\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R^2}|x^2+y^2 < 1\,\} \cup \{\,(x,y)\,\vert \,(x^2+y^2 = 1)\,\wedge \,(y> 0)\,\}##

##f(r,\theta)=(r,\theta-\frac{\pi}{2})## this function is continuous and its inverse ##g(r,\theta)=(r,\theta+\frac{\pi}{2})## is also continuous

this function maps from ##B\rightarrow C=\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R^2}|0<y\leq 2\sqrt{1-x^2}\}##
##f(x,y)=(x,y+\sqrt{1-x^2})## is continuous and its inverse is continuous ##g(x,y)=(x,y-\sqrt{1-x^2})##

this function maps from ##C\rightarrow D=\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R^2}|0<y\leq\sqrt{1-x^2}\}##
##f(x,y)=(x,y/2)## is continuous and its inverse is continuous ##g(x,y)=(x,2y)##

this functions maps from ##D\rightarrow Y##
##f(x,y)=(x,\frac{y(-x^4+1)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}})## is continuous and its inverse is continuous ##g(x,y)=(x,\frac{y\sqrt{1-x^2}}{(-x^4+1)})##

For the ##\arctan## I believe the answer is no. it is injective however it is not a surjective function from ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## and if we take ##\mathbb{R}## which is a closed set it is mapped to ##(\frac{-\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})## which is an open set in ##\mathbb{R}##

This looks correct, although formally you would have to show that the codomains are identical to the stated spaces, but this would simply be - as a little remark, why ##x=1## isn't in ##D## and ##f_4## is thus continuous - a nice service for your readers. You could also compose all functions and their inverses to get the one homeomorphism you were looking for. If nothing else it'll be a funny monstrous formula.

Of course ##\operatorname{arc tan}## isn't surjective on ##\mathbb{R}##, but this isn't the crucial point here. Usually we look at ##f\, : \,X \twoheadrightarrow f(X)## to investigate a function, because the trivial case ##f(X) \subsetneq Y## doesn't say much about ##f##. So basically, you are right: not surjective. But what happens if you consider ##\operatorname{arc tan}\, : \,\mathbb{R} \rightarrow (-\dfrac{\pi}{2},\dfrac{\pi}{2})## instead? Is this interval as topological space homeomorph to ##\mathbb{R}\,##? The graph of ##\operatorname{arc tan}## and the real line are topologically the same thing, so why shouldn't it be a closed function?

Likes nightingale123
You are correct. Those two spaces ##\mathbb{R}## and ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})## are indeed homeomorphic and ##\tan^{-1}## is a continuous bijection. ##\tan^{-1}## is also closed and open since it gives a homeomorphism between ##\mathbb{R}## and ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})##.
However there is still one thing that is bothering me. So whenever I am given a function ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## and asked to check whether it is open or closed I should only look at its codomain? It was only bothering me because I started thinking that since ##\mathbb{R}## is a closed set that its map ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})## should also be a closed set under##\mathbb{R}##

Last edited:
Alternately could I have just checked if random sequence that converges to x its f- values converge to ##f(x)## which must be in the codomain and if that be the case from all convergent sequences the map would be closed?

nightingale123 said:
You are correct. Those two spaces ##\mathbb{R}## and ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})## are indeed homeomorphic and ##\tan^{-1}## is a continuous bijection. ##\tan^{-1}## is also closed and open since it gives a homeomorphism between ##\mathbb{B}## and ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})##.
However there is still one thing that is bothering me. So whenever I am given a function ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## and asked to check whether it is open or closed I should only look at its codomain?
No, because you were right. Your question means basically: Is a function ##f\, : \,X \rightarrow Y## open (closed), if it is open (closed) restricted to its codomain? From left to right this is true, but not the other way around. Say ##X = \mathbb{R}^{>0}\; , \;Y=\mathbb{R}## and ##f(x)=\dfrac{x}{\,\vert \,x\,\vert \,}\,.## Then ##f(X)=(0,1]## is trivially closed in the codomain ##f(X)## but not in ##Y##. And the same is true for ##\tan^{-1}##. The image of the closed interval ##(-\infty,0]## is ##(-\dfrac{\pi}{2},0]## which is closed in the codomain ##(-\dfrac{\pi}{2},\dfrac{\pi}{2})## and not closed in ##\mathbb{R}##.
It was only bothering me because I started thinking that since ##\mathbb{R}## is a closed set that its map ##(-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})## should also be a closed set under##\mathbb{R}##
Correct, this is of course not closed in ##\mathbb{R}##.

A good example how the topological space considered makes a huge difference: ##\mathbb{R} \cong \tan^{-1}(\mathbb{R}) = (-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})## and ##\mathbb{R} \ncong_{\operatorname{arc tan}} \mathbb{R}##, so closed on the induced topology of the codomain but not closed on the entire space.
... I shouldn't answer topological question, there are far too many pitfalls and one has to be extremely cautious as intuition isn't of much value.

Likes nightingale123
I though I started understanding this but then I saw this post in the Wikipedia site which gave an example of a closed map
d202f9b8d9f459cc97246e4d1a703ef8.png

So I guess we should look on the induced topology afterall

Attachments

• d202f9b8d9f459cc97246e4d1a703ef8.png
    d202f9b8d9f459cc97246e4d1a703ef8.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:
Just to be sure I'm going to ask one of the professors tomorrow just to see what they believe to be the correct answer

nightingale123 said:
I though I started understanding this but then I saw this post in the Wikipedia site which gave an example of a closed map View attachment 215272
So I guess we should look on the induced topology after
##f\, : \,\mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## with ##f\, : \, x \longmapsto x^2## is continuous and closed intervals map onto closed intervals, but ##f((-1,1))=[0,1)## which is not open.

Likes nightingale123
I know that however could you explain why it is closed? since ##f(\mathbb{R})=[0,\infty)##and isn't this not closed in ##\mathbb{R}## ?

Note to self ##[0,\infty)## is indeed closed

Likes fresh_42

What is homeomorphism?

Homeomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous and bijective mapping between two topological spaces that preserves their structural properties, such as connectedness and compactness.

Why is finding homeomorphism between topological spaces important?

Finding homeomorphism between topological spaces is important because it allows us to identify and understand the underlying structure and properties of different spaces. It also helps us to classify and compare topological spaces, which is useful in various fields of mathematics and science.

What is the process of finding homeomorphism between topological spaces?

The process of finding homeomorphism between topological spaces involves examining the topological properties of the spaces, such as open sets, continuity, and compactness, and then constructing a mapping that preserves these properties. This mapping should also be bijective, meaning that each point in one space corresponds to only one point in the other space.

Can any two topological spaces be homeomorphic?

No, not all topological spaces can be homeomorphic. The spaces must have the same number of dimensions and similar topological properties in order for a homeomorphism to exist.

What are some real-world applications of homeomorphism?

Homeomorphism has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to study the behavior of physical systems, design efficient networks and circuits, and understand the shape and structure of biological molecules.