Finding μ and σ from a normal cumulative distribution function

In summary, the relationship between expected value and variance for a normal CDF can be expressed as E(X) = arcsin(ln(Var(X))). Using the given probabilities of a normal distribution, the possible values of the mean and standard deviation can be determined by setting up the equation normCDf(0.32, 2.32, 1, 0) = normCDf(12.9, 74.275, σ, arcsin(ln(σ^2))). Solving for μ and σ, we get the values of 12.555 and 74.510, respectively. It is important to note that the arcsin function is limited to values within the range of (−π/2, π/
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

The relationship between the expected value and the variance for a particular normal CDF is known to follow the rule ##E(X)=arcsin(ln(Var(X)))##. Given that ##Pr(0.32<Z<2.32)=Pr(12.9<X<74.275)##, determine the possible values of the mean and the standard deviation correct to 4 decimal places.

Homework Equations

##Z=\frac {X-μ} {σ}##
##Var(X)=σ^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

When expressed in the form ##normCDf(lower limit, upper limit, σ, μ)##, ##Pr(0.32<Z<2.32)=Pr(12.9<X<74.275)## becomes ##normCDf(0.32, 2.32, 1, 0)=normCDf(12.9, 74.275, σ, μ)##. After also taking into account ##E(X)=arcsin(ln(Var(X)))## and ##Var(X)=σ^2##, we get ##normCDf(0.32, 2.32, 1, 0)=normCDf(12.9, 74.275, σ, arcsin(ln(σ^2)))##. I attempted to solve this last equation on my calculator, but my calculator simply will not output a numerical answer. I'm not sure what to do from here, can anyone help?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I put all this into a spreadsheet, using the unknown mean as the variable, and played around with it until the probabilities matched to several significant figures. Only took a few minutes.

haruspex said:
I put all this into a spreadsheet, using the unknown mean as the variable, and played around with it until the probabilities matched to several significant figures. Only took a few minutes.
I'm not familiar with how to use spreadsheets with probabilities. I doubt I am expected to do that though because we've never used spreadsheets in class.

Saracen Rue said:
I'm not familiar with how to use spreadsheets with probabilities. I doubt I am expected to do that though because we've never used spreadsheets in class.
Ok.
If you plug in trial values for mu and compute Pr(12.9<X<74.275) for each on your calculator, it's the same, just a bit slower.
It will be a lot faster if you can pick a good starting point. A promising guess here would be to consider the X points 12.9 and 74.275 as being a direct mapping (by shifting the mean and scaling by variance) of the Z points 0.32 and 2.32. Indeed, it gives mu to within a couple of percent.

Likes Saracen Rue
haruspex said:
Ok.
If you plug in trial values for mu and compute Pr(12.9<X<74.275) for each on your calculator, it's the same, just a bit slower.
It will be a lot faster if you can pick a good starting point. A promising guess here would be to consider the X points 12.9 and 74.275 as being a direct mapping (by shifting the mean and scaling by variance) of the Z points 0.32 and 2.32. Indeed, it gives mu to within a couple of percent.
Ah thank you that helps a lot. I also just worked out if you rearrange ##μ=arcsin(ln(σ^2))## for σ, then you get ##σ=e^\frac {sin(μ)} {2}##. Then when I solve ##normCDf(0.32,2.32,1,0)=normCDf(12.9,74.275,e^\frac {sin(μ)} {2},μ## my calculator actually gives me the values for μ; 12.555 and 74.510.

Anyway, thanks for your help :)

Saracen Rue said:
Ah thank you that helps a lot. I also just worked out if you rearrange ##μ=arcsin(ln(σ^2))## for σ, then you get ##σ=e^\frac {sin(μ)} {2}##. Then when I solve ##normCDf(0.32,2.32,1,0)=normCDf(12.9,74.275,e^\frac {sin(μ)} {2},μ## my calculator actually gives me the values for μ; 12.555 and 74.510.

Anyway, thanks for your help :)
The reason your calculator couldn't handle the arcsin form is that the arcsin function is defined only to return values in the range (−π/2, π/2]. mu here is outside that range. Switching to the sin form solved that.

haruspex said:
The reason your calculator couldn't handle the arcsin form is that the arcsin function is defined only to return values in the range (−π/2, π/2]. mu here is outside that range. Switching to the sin form solved that.
Okay that's good to know. I'll remember that for the future. Thanks again for your help :)

1. How do I find the mean (μ) and standard deviation (σ) from a normal cumulative distribution function?

In order to find the mean and standard deviation from a normal cumulative distribution function, you will need to use a statistical software or calculator. You can also use a Z-table to find the values for μ and σ based on the desired area under the curve.

2. Can I use a normal cumulative distribution function to find the probability of a specific value?

No, a normal cumulative distribution function can only be used to find the probability of a range of values. To find the probability of a specific value, you will need to use a normal probability density function.

3. Can I use a normal cumulative distribution function to calculate the area under the curve for a non-normal distribution?

No, a normal cumulative distribution function can only be used for normal distributions. For non-normal distributions, you will need to use a different type of distribution function, such as a t-distribution or chi-square distribution.

4. What is the relationship between the standard deviation (σ) and the width of the curve in a normal cumulative distribution function?

The standard deviation and the width of the curve are directly related in a normal cumulative distribution function. A larger standard deviation will result in a wider curve, while a smaller standard deviation will result in a narrower curve.

5. How can I use a normal cumulative distribution function to find the probability of a value falling within a certain range?

To find the probability of a value falling within a certain range, you will need to calculate the area under the curve between the two values using a normal cumulative distribution function. This can be done using a statistical software or calculator, or by using a Z-table to find the area under the curve.