Normal Distribution Homework: Find/Determine Grades of 2 Students

In summary, the standard scores of two students whose grades were 93 and 62, respectively, were -0.6 and 1.2.
emKhairol

Homework Statement

Question - On a statistics examination, the mean was 78 and the standard deviation was 10. (assume normal distribution).

a) Find the standard scores of two students whose grades were 93 and 62, respectively.

b) Determine the grades of two students whose standard scores were -0.6 and 1.2, respectively.

Informations given :

μ = 78
s = 10

***can you guys help me solving this simple questions seems I really weak in this chapter. Thanks.

Homework Equations

[tex]P (\frac{L-μ}{σ} < Z < \frac{U-μ}{σ})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've done half way (I don't know whether is it correct or wrong).

P (L < x < U)
[tex]P (\frac{62-78}{10} < Z < \frac{93-78}{10})[/tex]
P (-1.6 < Z < 1.5)

And then, need to draw normal distribution graph. ***I stuck here after find the interval Z values by reading normal distribution table***

Can someone check my answer or perhaps may help me for all the solutions.

Thanks.

***Sorry for my bad language***:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
emKhairol said:

Homework Statement

Question - On a statistics examination, the mean was 78 and the standard deviation was 10. (assume normal distribution).

a) Find the standard scores of two students whose grades were 93 and 62, respectively.

b) Determine the grades of two students whose standard scores were -0.6 and 1.2, respectively.

Informations given :

μ = 78
s = 10

***can you guys help me solving this simple questions seems I really weak in this chapter. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've done half way (I don't know whether is it correct or wrong).

P (L < x < U)
[tex]P (\frac{62-78}{10} < Z < \frac{93-78}{10})[/tex]
P (-1.6 < Z < 1.5)

And then, need to draw normal distribution graph. ***I stuck here after find the interval Z values by reading normal distribution table***

Can someone check my answer or perhaps may help me for all the solutions.

Thanks.

***Sorry for my bad language***:uhh:

It appears that you do not know what a standard score is. I suggest you look in your textbook or course notes, or that you Google 'standard score'.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
It appears that you do not know what a standard score is. I suggest you look in your textbook or course notes, or that you Google 'standard score'.

RGV

Thanks for your response. I already refer to the textbooks, notes, and even slides but I still can't catch up with what I learn. :cry:

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a statistical concept that describes a symmetrical bell-shaped curve that represents the distribution of a set of data. In a normal distribution, the majority of data falls in the middle of the curve, with smaller amounts falling towards the ends.

How do you determine grades using a normal distribution?

To determine grades using a normal distribution, you need to know the mean and standard deviation of the data. The mean represents the average grade, and the standard deviation represents how spread out the grades are. By using a normal distribution table or a statistical calculator, you can find the percentage of grades that fall within a specific range and assign grades accordingly.

What is the difference between a normal distribution and a skewed distribution?

A normal distribution is symmetrical, meaning that the data is evenly distributed on both sides of the mean. A skewed distribution, on the other hand, is asymmetrical, with most of the data falling on one side of the mean. This can happen when there are extreme values that pull the mean towards one end of the distribution.

Can a normal distribution be used to determine grades for all types of data?

No, a normal distribution is most commonly used for data that is normally distributed, meaning that it follows the bell-shaped curve. If the data is skewed or does not follow a normal distribution, using a normal distribution to determine grades may not accurately reflect the data.

How can a normal distribution be helpful in determining grades for students?

A normal distribution can be helpful in determining grades for students by providing a standardized way to evaluate their performance. By using a normal distribution, you can compare a student's grade to the overall distribution of grades and determine how well they performed in comparison to their peers. This can help to eliminate biases and provide a fair evaluation of a student's performance.