Finding magnitude of tension that causes object to slip

In summary: Fnet = m*aEquation for net force on the box in the x direction:Fnetbx = mba-Fgsin(19°) + fs = mba-mbg*sin(19) + mbgμs = mba-14(9.8)sin(19) + 14(9.8)(0.5) = 14a-44.668 + 68.6 = 14a23.932 = 14aacceleration = 1.71Equation for net force on the sled+box in the x direction:Fnetsx = msaT + fs - fk -
B_Ran

Homework Statement

A rope attached to a 19.0 kg wood sled pulls the sled up a 19.0° snow-covered hill. A 14.0 kg wood box rides on top of the sled.

EDIT: the actual question to be answered, oops.

What's the magnitude of the tension that will cause the box to slide?

Mass of box (mb) = 14.0kg
Mass of sled and box (ms) = 33.0kg
Coefficient of static friction for wood on wood (μs) = 0.5
Coefficient of kinetic friction for wood on snow (μk) = 0.06
Angle of slope (θ) = 19°

Homework Equations

Fnet = m*a
Fs = μsn
Fk = μkn

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've drawn the free body diagrams for both just the box, and for the sled and box combination as they sit on the slope. I've drawn graphs of both and made a chart of the force's x and y components. Getting the relevant forces for each, I've composed two Fnet equations in the x direction.

Equation for net force on the box in the x direction:

Fnetbx = mba
-Fgsin(19°) + fs = mba
-mbg*sin(19) + mbs = mba
-14(9.8)sin(19) + 14(9.8)(0.5) = 14a
-44.668 + 68.6 = 14a
23.932 = 14a
acceleration = 1.71
I found the acceleration and the answer seems reasonable given the context of the problem.

Equation for net force on the sled+box in the x direction:

Fnetsx = msa
T + fs - fk - Fg1sin(19) - Fg2sin(19) = msa
T + mbs - msk - mbgsin(19) - msgsin(19) = msa
T + 14(9.8)(0.5) - 33(9.8)(0.06) - 14(9.8)sin(19) - 33(9.8)sin(19) = 33(1.71)
T + 68.6 - 19.404 - 44.668 - 105.289 = 56.43
T - 100.761 = 56.43
T = 157.191
Having the acceleration from the first equation, I solved for the tension on the rope. This number concerns me, 157N seems a little low for a force that is pulling that much weight up the slope.

Having used the coefficient for static friction of wood on wood in finding this tension, I was thinking that any force greater than it would cause the box on the sled to slip. My answer of 157.2 is incorrect.

After this I tried going back to just the box.
If fsmaximum = μs*n
fsmaxmimum = (0.5)(14)(-Fgcos(19))
fsmaxmimum = (0.5)(14)(-14*9.8*cos(19))
fsmaxmimum = 908
This number doesn't make any sense to me and its clear now that I'm lost. :]

Did I make a mistake somewhere along the lines, or have I not taken this problem far enough? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force on the box is not the weight of the box. That would be the case on a horizontal surface, not on an incline.

On edit: Welcome to PF.

kuruman said:
The normal force on the box is not the weight of the box. That would be the case on a horizontal surface, not on an incline.

On edit: Welcome to PF.

Thank you for the welcome!
I considered this and thought I had done right when instead of multiplying the mass of the object by just gravity, as is the case when the object is on a flat surface, I multiplied the mass by the y component of its weight. I see now where I went wrong because that value still isn't parallel with the normal force. I'll attempt again with this information thank you

B_Ran said:
Equation for net force on the sled+box in the x direction:
T + fs - fk - Fg1sin(19) - Fg2sin(19) = msa
There is more. Lose the fs in this equation. If you are writing the net force on the two-mass system the force of static friction on the wood is equal and opposite to that on the sled so they add up to zero.

1. What is the definition of tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How is tension related to an object slipping?

Tension is one of the main factors that causes an object to slip. If the tension on an object is greater than the frictional force holding the object in place, the object will slip.

3. How can the magnitude of tension be calculated?

The magnitude of tension can be calculated using the formula T = μmg, where T is the tension, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of tension?

The magnitude of tension can be affected by the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is on, the mass of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the magnitude of tension be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the magnitude of tension can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because tension is not limited by the weight of the object, but rather by the maximum amount of force that the object can withstand before slipping.