Finding mass of propane in 2 sealed containers.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass of propane in two tanks before and after a valve is opened. The non-ideal gas law is used to calculate the mass, but there is confusion with units. The correct units are kJ/kg-K instead of kJ/mol-K, leading to a correct calculation of the mass.
reed2100

Homework Statement

A 1 m3 rigid tank has propane at 100 kPa and 300 K. The tank is connected to another 0.5 m3rigid tank which has propane at 250 kPa and 400 K by a ball valve. The valve is opened and both tanks come to a uniform state at 325 K.

Calculate the mass of propane before and after opening the valve in each tank.

Homework Equations

Reduced Pressure and Temperature = current state / critical state

Non-ideal Gas law - PV = ZnRT , or PV = ZmR(specific to substance)T
can rearrange the above for n or m

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the above given pressures and temperatures I have tank A with a z factor of .99 from charts in my book, and tank B with a z factor of .98. The book also says that at 25 C and 100 kPa, propane has an R constant of .1886 kJ/kg-K. The professor also just said that a substance's specific R constant is just the universal R constant divided by it's molecular weight. And a kPa-m^3 is equivalent to a kJ, so I can leave the given units as is or rewrite as kJ on the PV side of the gas law.

For tank A, rearranging the non ideal gas law - (100 kPa-m^3) / (.99 * .1886 kJ/mol-K * 300K) = m[A] = 1.785 mol = 78.707 grams of propane.

Now my confusion and reason for posting this is that when I use the ideal gas law as a reference point, just to see if I'm really far off, I get a pretty different answer. With the ideal gas law , I calculate

(100,000 Pa-m^3) / ( 8.314 (Pa-m^3 / mol-K) * 300 K) = 40.09 mol of propane, which obviously equals a ton more propane than 78.07 grams.
I just want to verify if my approach is the correct idea. You don't need to tell me the answer, but I'd like to know if I'm doing it incorrectly and if so, where. Am I just not using the correct version of the non-ideal gas law or something, or does it look like a confusion with units? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're just messed up on units. Check your units more carefully.

Chestermiller said:
You're just messed up on units. Check your units more carefully.

Ah I think I see it - in my use of Propane's R constant I had kJ/mol-K when it was supposed to be kg. Taking the mass in tank A as 1.785 kg instead of moles it comes out to around the same mass as given by the ideal law. Thank you very much!

1. How do you find the mass of propane in 2 sealed containers?

To find the mass of propane in 2 sealed containers, you will need to use a scale. First, weigh an empty container and record the mass. Then, fill the container with propane and weigh it again. The difference between the two measurements will give you the mass of the propane in that container. Repeat this process for the second container and then add the two masses together to get the total mass of propane in both containers.

2. Why is it important to measure the mass of propane in sealed containers?

Measuring the mass of propane in sealed containers is important for safety reasons. Propane is a highly flammable gas, and knowing the exact amount of propane in a container can help prevent accidents or explosions. It is also important for transportation and storage purposes, as the weight of the propane can affect how it is handled and stored.

3. What units should be used to measure the mass of propane?

The most commonly used units for measuring the mass of propane are grams (g) or kilograms (kg). However, in some cases, other units such as pounds (lbs) or ounces (oz) may be used. It is important to make sure all measurements are in the same units when calculating the total mass of propane in multiple containers.

4. Can the mass of propane change over time?

Yes, the mass of propane can change over time. Propane is a gas that can expand or contract depending on temperature and pressure. This can cause a change in the mass of the propane in a sealed container. To get an accurate measurement, it is important to weigh the containers at the same temperature and pressure.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when measuring the mass of propane?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when measuring the mass of propane. Make sure to use the appropriate equipment for handling propane, such as wearing gloves and using a scale designed for measuring gas. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and avoid any open flames or sparks. If you are unsure about how to handle propane safely, it is best to seek guidance from a trained professional.