Finding number of rotations till arm breaks (circular motion)

In summary, the problem involves a steel block rotating on a steel table attached to a hollow tube. Compressed air is fed through the tube and exerts a thrust force of 4.91 N perpendicular to the tube. The maximum tension the tube can withstand is 60.0 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and table is 0.60. Using equations for force, acceleration, and angular velocity, the final answer is approximately 1.87 revolutions.
Micah

Homework Statement

A 400 g steel block rotates on a steel table while attached to a 1.20 m -long hollow tube. Compressed air fed through the tube and ejected from a nozzle on the back of the block exerts a thrust force of 4.91 Nperpendicular to the tube. The maximum tension the tube can withstand without breaking is 60.0 N . Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction between steel block and steel table is 0.60. (Figure 1)
knight_Figure_07_55.jpg

Homework Equations

∑Ft=thrust-ƒk
∑Fr=mv2/r
at=αr
v=ωr
ωf2i2+2αΔΘ
2π radians=1 revolution

The Attempt at a Solution

∑Ft=mat=4.91N-(.4kg*.6*9.81m/s2
at=2.5556kg m/s2 /.4kg
at=6.839m/s2

α=6.839m/s2/1.2m
α=5.324s-2

I assume radians are assumed as units in α..not sure on this point.

∑Fr=mv2/r
Since 60N is the max ∑Fr can be
60N=.4kgv2/1.2m
180 m2/s2=v2
v=13.416 m/s

v/r=ω
13.416m/s/1.2m
ω=11.18s-1

Im assuming radians are implicit here. Again not sure. ωf2i2+2αΔΘ

We know ωi2 is zero so:

ωf2=2αΔΘ
ωf2/2α=ΔΘ
(11.18s-1)2/(2*5.324s-2)=ΔΘ
ΔΘ=11.73

Again I'm assuming ΔΘ is in radians. So

11.73 * (1 revolution)/(2π radians)

1.86 revolutions.

My answer is wrong. That's all I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
Micah said:
1.86 revolutions.
I make it closer to 1.87, but other than that I agree. I see nothing wrong in your logic.
But I strongly recommend working entirely symbolically until the final step. This has many advantages. In the present problem, you would have discovered that the radius was irrelevant, and you would have avoided the need to take a square root.

1. How do you calculate the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion?

The number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion can be calculated using the formula N = (S/πD) x (2L/Y), where N is the number of rotations, S is the tensile strength of the arm, D is the diameter of the arm, L is the length of the arm, and Y is the yield strength of the arm.

2. What factors affect the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion?

The number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion can be affected by several factors, including the strength and durability of the material used for the arm, the diameter and length of the arm, and the speed and force of the circular motion.

3. Can the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion be predicted accurately?

While the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion can be estimated using mathematical formulas, it is difficult to predict it with 100% accuracy. This is because there are many variables and factors that can affect the breaking point of an arm in circular motion.

4. How can the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion be tested?

The number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion can be tested by conducting experiments using different materials, diameters, lengths, and speeds of circular motion. The results of these experiments can then be used to determine the general breaking point for a certain type of arm in circular motion.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion?

Knowing the number of rotations until an arm breaks in circular motion can be useful in designing and engineering various machines and structures that involve circular motion. It can also help in determining the maximum safe speed and force for certain materials and designs, ensuring their durability and longevity.