Finding OA in Triangle Geometry

• Thread starter Leo Consoli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the homework statement asks for the intersection point of the segments KP and MN, and the segments OB and NP. The problem is trying to find OA, which is the intersection point of the segments OB and NP.
Leo Consoli

Homework Statement

The angle alfa has its vertex at a point O, from one of its sides the point M is taken from which the perpendicular to the other side is made with the point N. In the same way, from the other side point K is taken and from there the perpendicular to the other side is traced hiting point P. Being B the intersection point between the segments KP and MN and A the intersection point between the segments OB and NP, being OM=a and OP=b, find OA.

Homework Equations

Pythagoras, triangle similarity and basic knowledg about triangles.

The Attempt at a Solution

Making the drawing its easy to notice a few things.
All triangles are right triangles and are similar between themselves, I tried to apply trigonometric identities and the laws os sine and cossine but I couldn't figure out anything.

Attachments

• 20190222_185157.jpg
    20190222_185157.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 276
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, what are you asked to find? And can you show your work so far on finding whatever the problem is asking for? We can't look for mistakes in your work if you don't post it... Thanks.

Likes Leo Consoli
I have to find OA, sorry, I don't have acess to a computer right now, so its hard to post equations, and its late right now and I have to go to sleep, tomorrow I will try to post them.

Likes berkeman
Hi, sorry for taking so long to answer I have been very busy.
Here are the calculations I did, other things I tried led me to these same results so I couldn't proceed.
In the triangle OPK:
Sin (alpha)=b/PK ----> PK=b/sin(alpha)
Cos(alpha)=b/OK ---> OK= b/cos(alpha)
In the triangle OMN:
Sin(alpha)=MN/a ---> MN=a×sin(alpha)
Cos(alpha)=ON/a ---> ON=a×cos(alpha)
NK=OK-ON
I can't figure out how to include OA in the calculations.
Thanks.

I'm not sure how much help this is, but note that if you draw a circle with OB as a diameter that both right triangles OPB and OBN are inscribed in that circle with the diameter as each triangle's hypotenuse. That means the quadrilateral ONBP is a cyclic quadrilateral. There are special relationships between cyclic quadrilateral sides and diagonals. I don't remember all that stuff but that is where I would start looking.

Last edited:
Likes Leo Consoli and berkeman
Hi, thanks, using triangle similarity between OMN and NBK and then with OMN and BPM I found the following values for BN and BP:
BN=(b-a×cos^2(alfa))/sin(alfa)
BP=cotg(alfa)×(a-b)
With these values of the 4 sides of the quadrylateral and of one of the diagonals I think I can find the other diagonal but after that what should I do? Thanks.

Anyone has any ideas for solving this?
Thanks.

OB is the hypotenuse of a triangle whose other sides you can find
OA is OB less a small distance AB

So the problem comes down to determining AB

Yes, there is everything, except for AB.

And you can find all sides of PMN, and therefore all angles if need be.
And you know all angles of PMB so can find any of its sides.

1. What is a segment in geometry?

A segment in geometry is a part of a line that is bounded by two distinct end points. It is a straight path connecting two points.

2. How do you find the length of a segment?

To find the length of a segment, you can use the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squared differences of the coordinates of the two end points.

3. Can a segment have a negative length?

No, a segment cannot have a negative length. The length of a segment is always a positive value.

4. How do you label a segment in geometry?

In geometry, segments are typically labeled with two capital letters, one at each end point. For example, a segment connecting points A and B would be labeled as AB.

5. Can two segments have the same length but different orientations?

Yes, two segments can have the same length but different orientations. For example, a horizontal segment and a vertical segment can have the same length, but they are oriented differently.