Finding particular solution to recurrence relation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find particular solutions when solving recurrence relations. The process involves finding the roots in the characteristic polynomial and using a general solution for complex roots. The textbook suggests using a function of the form (An+B)2n to find the particular solution, which may be confusing but can be understood through the use of a "useful table." It is important to note that this method may not work if the sequence is a solution to the homogeneous equation.
vincentvance
Hi,

I have a question about how to find the particular solutions when trying to solve recurrence relations. For example, trying to solve

an+2 = -4an + 8n2n ,

I begin with finding the roots in the characteristic polynomial associated with the homogeneous equation, so r1 = 2i and r2 = -2i.

Then, because the roots are complex, the general solution is

an(h) = 2n*(αcos(πn/2) + βsin(πn/2)).Now, my textbook suggests trying a function of the form

(An+B)2n

when trying to find the particual solution. I don't understand why and I have come across a couple of other examples which have made me equally confused as I am this time. Could anyone shed some light on the matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vincentvance said:
Hi,

I have a question about how to find the particular solutions when trying to solve recurrence relations. For example, trying to solve

an+2 = -4an + 8n2n ,

I begin with finding the roots in the characteristic polynomial associated with the homogeneous equation, so r1 = 2i and r2 = -2i.

Then, because the roots are complex, the general solution is

an(h) = 2n*(αcos(πn/2) + βsin(πn/2)).Now, my textbook suggests trying a function of the form

(An+B)2n

when trying to find the particural solution. I don't understand why and I have come across a couple of other examples which have made me equally confused as I am this time. Could anyone shed some light on the matter?

The procedure to 'attack' this type of problem is illustrated in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-ii-860.html#post4671

Using the 'useful table' You arrive to the following relation...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{n}= 8\ n\ 2^{n} \implies w_{n} = 8\ 2^{n}\ (\chi_{0} + \chi_{1}\ n)\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The procedure to 'attack' this type of problem is illustrated in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-ii-860.html#post4671

Using the 'useful table' You arrive to the following relation...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{n}= 8\ n\ 2^{n} \implies w_{n} = 8\ 2^{n}\ (\chi_{0} + \chi_{1}\ n)\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you!

In the post you linked it says "Some caution is to be adopted using the table 2.1 because the $w_n$ are valid only if the sequences themselves aren’t solution of the homogeneous DE and if that is the case a different procedure must be adopted."

Isn't the sequence a solution to the homogeneous equation in this example because the general solution is a product with $2^n$

vincentvance said:
Thank you!

In the post you linked it says "Some caution is to be adopted using the table 2.1 because the $w_n$ are valid only if the sequences themselves aren’t solution of the homogeneous DE and if that is the case a different procedure must be adopted."

Isn't the sequence a solution to the homogeneous equation in this example because the general solution is a product with $2^n$

The homogeneous equation is...

$\displaystyle a_{n+2} + 4\ a_{n} = 0\ (1)$

... and its solution is...

$\displaystyle a_{n} = 2^{n}\ \{ c_{0}\ i^{n} + c_{1}\ (- i)^{n}\}\ (2)$

The particular solution we have found is...

$\displaystyle w_{n} = 8\ 2^{n}\ (\chi_{0} + \chi_{1}\ n)\ (3)$

... and (3) is not a solution of (1)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
The homogeneous equation is...

$\displaystyle a_{n+2} + 4\ a_{n} = 0\ (1)$

... and its solution is...

$\displaystyle a_{n} = 2^{n}\ \{ c_{0}\ i^{n} + c_{1}\ (- i)^{n}\}\ (2)$

The particular solution we have found is...

$\displaystyle w_{n} = 8\ 2^{n}\ (\chi_{0} + \chi_{1}\ n)\ (3)$

... and (3) is not a solution of (1)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Oh, I actually think I get it now. Thank you for your patience!

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers or functions in terms of one or more previous terms in the sequence. It is often used to model repetitive processes or relationships in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. How do you find a particular solution to a recurrence relation?

To find a particular solution to a recurrence relation, you can use various methods such as the substitution method, the characteristic equation method, or the generating function method. These methods involve manipulating the recurrence relation to solve for the unknown terms or using known values to find a pattern.

3. When is it necessary to find a particular solution to a recurrence relation?

It is necessary to find a particular solution to a recurrence relation when you need to determine the value of a specific term in the sequence, or when you want to generalize the sequence and find a formula for any term in the sequence.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding particular solutions to recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, interest rates, and the spread of diseases. Finding particular solutions to these recurrence relations can help predict future outcomes and make informed decisions in various fields, including economics, biology, and epidemiology.

5. Are there any tools or software available to assist with finding particular solutions to recurrence relations?

Yes, there are various tools and software, such as Wolfram Alpha and Mathematica, that can assist with finding particular solutions to recurrence relations. These tools use algorithms and advanced mathematical techniques to solve complex recurrence relations and provide accurate solutions.