Finding Reactions on a Supported Beam: A Differential Equation Approach

• Thread starter yecko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the homework statement is that boundary conditions must be met for the EI(d^4y/dx^4)=w equation to be valid. The Attempt at a Solution found that the boundary condition at A is that x=0, y=0, slope=0. At C, x=L/2, y=0, shear force = -Rb and at B, x=L, y=0, moment = 0. However, with this 5 equations, with 4 unknowns, and the boundary conditions, it seems Rb cannot be solved out. May I know how should I tackle this problem?
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2018-04-21 下午2.37.34.png

Homework Equations

Boundary condition
EI(d^4y/dx^4)=w

The Attempt at a Solution

Boundary condition:
At A, x=0, y=0, slope=0
At C, x=L/2, y=0, shear force = -Rb
At B, x=L, y=0, moment = 0, shear force = 0

I know there are 2 distinctive formulae for A-C and C-B.

For A-C:
Load: EI(d^4y/dx^4)=w -----(1)
Shear:EI(d^3y/dx^3)=wx+A-----(2)
Moment: EI(d^2y/dx^2)=1/2*wx^2+Ax+B-----(3)
EI(dy/dx)=1/6*wx^3+1/6*Ax^2+Bx+C-----(4)
EIy=1/24*wx^4+1/6*Ax^3+1/2*Bx^2+Cx+D-----(5)

However, with this 5 equations, with 4 unknowns, and the boundary conditions, it seems Rb cannot be solved out.
May I know how should I tackle this problem?
Thank you

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2018-04-21 下午2.37.34.png
    螢幕快照 2018-04-21 下午2.37.34.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,309
Physics news on Phys.org
Eeek! Are you familiar with cantilever deflection equations that can be obtained from beam tables? One way to solve this problem is to remove the 2 roller supports and then calculate the beam deflection at those removed supports, then put them back one at a time as a unit load and calculate the deflections at those same points. Ultimately you solve for these reactions knowing that the deflection at the support points is 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
PhanthomJay said:
Are u familiar with cantilever deflection equations that can be obtained from beam tables?
Actually no! I can't find any example from our lecture notes or the two recommanded textbooks...
PhanthomJay said:
One way to solve this problem is to remove the 2 roller supports and then calculate the beam deflection at those removed supports, then put them back one at a time as a unit load and calculate the deflections at those same points.
I know the way to deal with deflection with one support, but not two... let me guess...
first consider part A-C, and let it be a free end at C, and calculate the deflection and slope at C. Then, by y=mx, where m= slope at C, in order to calculate the deflection at B.
After finding deflection, by what way can I find the reaction force from the deflection calculated?
Thanks.

I don't think I understand the question. If the beam is weightless, won't the deflection be downward just to the left of C, upward to the right of C, and tending to lift at B? If B is just a roller support why will contact be retained?

That is a good start. You should be able to find cantilever deflections thru a google search. And if you are familiar with the deflection method for one unknown support reaction, say R_c, then calculate the deflections at each support points in terms of R_c, then just repeat the method for the other unknown support reaction,and add up the total deflections at each support point which each add up to the deflection at that point calculated when the supports were removed. 2 equations with 3 unknowns. A bit tedious however.

haruspex said:
I don't think I understand the question. If the beam is weightless, won't the deflection be downward just to the left of C, upward to the right of C, and tending to lift at B? If B is just a roller support why will contact be retained?
True, but the usual assumption is that a roller support can take both upward and downward loads, as if it were on a safety rail like on roller coasters.

image.jpg

Should I do it this way?
But as the true deflection at C is 0, should the assumed deflection at B be the difference in deflection between B and C?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,036
Ok, thanks
PhanthomJay said:
True, but the usual assumption is that a roller support can take both upward and downward loads, as if it were on a safety rail like on roller coasters.

should the assumed deflection at B be the difference in deflection between B and C?
Thanks

yecko said:
View attachment 224489
Should I do it this way?
But as the true deflection at C is 0, should the assumed deflection at B be the difference in deflection between B and C?
Thanks
The only assumption you need to make is the one noted by Haruspex, assume roller can take vertical loads in both directions. Otherwise, it does not appear that you are using the tables properly. The slope of the deflected curve at the free ends is given as an an angle theta in radians, and once you know the deflection and angle at C, then the deflection at B is that deflection plus, for small angles, (theta)(L/2). Do the same for the other reaction, calculating deflection at both joints. Then add up the deflections at each point for the 3 cases and set them equal to zero. But you must watch your plus and minus signs.

3D367454-BB29-408D-93DA-3FE668B80FA4.jpeg

52635064-3390-4305-BE35-96236A921279.jpeg

Am i correct to calculate like this?
Thanks

Attachments

• 3D367454-BB29-408D-93DA-3FE668B80FA4.jpeg
    3D367454-BB29-408D-93DA-3FE668B80FA4.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 52635064-3390-4305-BE35-96236A921279.jpeg
    52635064-3390-4305-BE35-96236A921279.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 524
I held off replying to this until I was satisfied I had the solution. (It is W/28 downwards.)
I didn't use your method. I wrote out the differential equations for the two sections and solved them.

But now I am having trouble following yours, not least for readability.
You seem to have swapped B and C wrt the original diagram (which did assign A, B, C weirdly).
If you can be bothered to repost, typing in your algebra instead of posting an image, I will try to find your error(s). To make it easier, you can substitute L=2, EI=1 and abbreviate the reactions to A, B, C.

1. What is a beam in a 3 supports problem?

A beam in a 3 supports problem is a structural element that is designed to resist bending and carry loads. It is typically a long, narrow piece of material that is used to support weight and transfer it to the supports.

2. What are the 3 types of supports in a beam problem?

The 3 types of supports in a beam problem are fixed, pinned, and roller supports. Fixed supports prevent both vertical and horizontal movement of the beam, pinned supports only prevent vertical movement, and roller supports only prevent horizontal movement.

3. How do I determine the reactions at each support in a 3 supports problem?

To determine the reactions at each support, you can use the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the horizontal and vertical directions must equal zero, and the sum of all moments must equal zero.

4. What is the difference between a statically determinate and indeterminate beam problem?

In a statically determinate beam problem, the reactions and internal forces in the beam can be solved using the equations of static equilibrium. In an indeterminate beam problem, there are more unknown forces than equations, so additional methods, such as the method of superposition or the slope-deflection method, must be used to solve it.

5. What are some common assumptions made when solving a 3 supports on a beam problem?

Some common assumptions made when solving a 3 supports on a beam problem include neglecting the weight of the beam, assuming the beam is in static equilibrium, and assuming the beam is a perfect rigid body. These assumptions may not hold true in all situations, but they are often used to simplify the analysis of the problem.