Finding relative extrema of a cubic function

In summary, this problem is an application of differential calculus, and so I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum.
Nikolas7
Find local maxima and minima for 6${x}^{3}$+6${x}^{2}$-8x. I found that (-1.08,8.08) is max, (0.41,-1.86) is min. Where i was wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is an application of differential calculus, and so I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum. For better forum organization, we ask this in MHB RUle #5:

MHB RUle #5 said:
Choose the correct subforum. The key to posting a question in the correct subforum is to consider the content of the question, not its origin. Post questions in the subforum most appropriate for their content. For example, post questions about differential equations in the Differential Equations subforum, NOT Calculus. Post questions that are pre-calculus in content in the Pre-Calculus subforum, NOT Calculus. When in doubt, report your post using the Report Post tool (a button at the lower left corner of all posts - it looks like a triangle with an exclamation mark inside it) and so ask a moderator to review your thread location. Use a different title for each new thread.

I have also given your thread a title that indicates the nature of the question being asked. A title like "Need help please" doesn't tell anyone viewing our thread listings what your question is about. This is why we have MHB Rule #4:

MHB Rule #4 said:
Show the nature of your question in your thread title. The title of a post should be a brief and accurate description of what your question is about. Since we assume everyone needs help, usually urgently, titles such as ‘Urgent help needed’ etc. are pointless, annoying, ineffective and lazy. You should also avoid using symbols such as ? and ! excessively in a post title for reasons already given. An effectively titled post will get more views than one with a useless title. The thread title should be at least one level more specific than the forum in which you post. For example, do not title a thread in Calculus "Calculus Problem", but "Differentiation of a Function" or "Force on a Tank". Do not use $\LaTeX$ in thread titles, as this strains our server and hinders thread searches.

Nikolas7 said:
Find local maxima and minima for 6${x}^{3}$+6${x}^{2}$-8x. I found that (-1.08,8.08) is max, (0.41,-1.86) is min. Where i was wrong?

Without seeing your work, we cannot possibly tell you where you went wrong. What did you get when you differentiated the given function in preparation for equating it to zero?

18${x}^{2}$+12x-8=0 It's quadratic equation. Solve, I got x1=0.41 x2=-1.08. Then I found max and min 8.08 and -1.86.
Thank you.

We are given:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=6x^3+6x^2-8x=2\left(3x^3+3x^2-4x\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=2\left(9x^2+6x-4\right)=0\)

Applying the quadratic formula, we find:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{-6\pm\sqrt{6^2-4(9)(-4)}}{2(9)}=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{5}}{3}\)

Your roots are correct to 2 decimal places. Now, when we look at the first derivative, we see it is a quadratic, a parabola opening upwards with 2 read roots. This means it is positive to the left of the smaller root, negative in between the roots, and positive to the right of the larger root. What does this then tell us about the nature of the extrema at our two critical values?

at smaller root we have local maximum and at bigger root we have local minimum. Is it right?

Nikolas7 said:
at smaller root we have local maximum and at bigger root we have local minimum. Is it right?

Yes, we know the slope of $f$ is positive to the left of the smaller turning point and negative to the right of if, then negative to the left of the larger turning point and positive to the right, so your conclusion is correct. So you just need to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle f_{\max}=f\left(\frac{-1-\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)\)

and

\(\displaystyle f_{\min}=f\left(\frac{-1+\sqrt{5}}{3}\right)\)

Thanks, I did too and got points: max (-1.08,8.08), min (0.41,-1.86).

Nikolas7 said:
Thanks, I did too and got points: max (-1.08,8.08), min (0.41,-1.86).

Those are correct to two decimal places. The exact values are:

\(\displaystyle f_{\max}=\frac{4}{9}\left(7+5\sqrt{5}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle f_{\min}=\frac{4}{9}\left(7-5\sqrt{5}\right)\)

Thanks

Nikolas7 said:

check this out, will help

1. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic function because the highest degree of the variable x is 3.

2. How do you find the relative extrema of a cubic function?

To find the relative extrema of a cubic function, you can use the first and second derivative tests. First, find the first derivative of the function and set it equal to 0 to find the critical points. Then, use the second derivative to determine whether the critical points are local maxima or minima.

3. What is a local maximum of a cubic function?

A local maximum of a cubic function is a point on the graph where the function reaches its highest value in a small interval around that point. It is also known as a relative maximum and is represented by a peak on the graph of the function.

4. Can a cubic function have more than one relative extremum?

Yes, a cubic function can have multiple relative extrema. This is because a cubic function is a polynomial function, and polynomial functions can have multiple turning points depending on the degree of the polynomial.

5. How do you determine if a critical point is a local maximum or minimum?

You can determine if a critical point is a local maximum or minimum by using the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then it is a local maximum. If the second derivative is 0, the test is inconclusive, and you may need to use other methods to determine the nature of the critical point.