Finding Resistance in RC Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple RC circuit where the current as a function of time is given for different time intervals. The question asks for the resistance in MΩ given a capacitance of 837 nF. The conversation also mentions the need for finding the RC constant and determining if the capacitor is charging or discharging. The conversation suggests showing an attempt at solving the problem and considering the equation of the current and the number of unknowns.
Matt21

Homework Statement

In a simple RC circuit the current as a function of time behaves in the following manner:

I(5s) = 8.823
I(10s) = 7.788
I(20) = 6.065
I(30) = 4.724
I(40) = 3.679
I(50) = 2.865
I(60) = 2.231
I(70) = 1.738
I(80) = 1.353
I(90) = 1.054
I(100) = 0.821
I(110) = 0.639

Assuming that the capacitance C = 837 nF, what is the resistance R (in MΩ)?

Homework Equations

T=RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this many different times. I know that the RC constant is equal to the resistance times the capacitance but I'm having trouble finding the RC constant and don't really have any idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Matt! Welcome to PF!
Matt21 said:
I have attempted this many different times.
You should show your attempt here.
Is the capacitor charging or discharging?
What will be the equation of the current? How many unknowns will it have?

1. What is a RC circuit?

A RC circuit is a circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices, such as filters, timers, and oscillators.

2. How do I find the resistance in a RC circuit?

The resistance in a RC circuit can be found by using the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. This formula can be rearranged to solve for R when V and I are known.

3. What is the purpose of finding resistance in a RC circuit?

Finding the resistance in a RC circuit is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the circuit. It helps us understand how the circuit will respond to changes in voltage, current, and frequency.

4. How does the resistance affect the behavior of a RC circuit?

The resistance in a RC circuit determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. A higher resistance will result in less current, while a lower resistance will result in more current. This can affect the charging and discharging of the capacitor in the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the resistance in a RC circuit?

The main factor that affects the resistance in a RC circuit is the value of the resistor. Other factors that can have an impact include the material the resistor is made of, the temperature, and the length and thickness of the resistor.