Finding revolution/minute of a wheel traveling in a speed of 15 miles/hour

• MHB
  • Thread starter bsmithysmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Wheel
In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the truck with 32-inch-diameter wheels is traveling at a speed of 15 miles/hour and makes one revolution per minute.
bsmithysmith
A truck with 32- inch- diameter wheels is traveling in a speed of 15 miles/hour. Find the angular speed of the wheels in radians/minute. How many revolutions per minute does the wheel make?

My teacher mentions that we are trying to find the angular speed in this. Another question is how do I distinguish using angular or linear speed/formula for this equation? I know that angular speed = theta/time and linear speed = arclength/time, but when he explained the question, he made up a newer looking equation: v = (2pi(r)w)/theta. I don't understand this at all and how to get the answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's begin with the equation for linear distance, speed and time:

\(\displaystyle d=vt\)

When the truck's wheel moves through an angle $\theta$, then the truck will move a linear distance equal to:

\(\displaystyle d=r\theta\)

This comes from the arc-length of a circular sector.

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle r\theta=vt\)

Now, the angular velocity $\omega$ is defined as the change of the angle $\theta$ with respect to time, and for constant speeds, this is:

\(\displaystyle \omega\equiv\frac{\theta}{t}\)

Now, recall we have:

\(\displaystyle r\theta=vt\)

Dividing through by $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle v=r\frac{\theta}{t}=r\omega\)

or:

\(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{v}{r}\)

You are given $v$ and $r$ and so you can find $\omega$ from this formula, but be mindful of your units, because $v$ is given in miles per hour, but you want time in minutes. Can you proceed?

Sorry it took awhile to reply but yes! That really helped a lot! Thank you so much for that! I asked my friend who's taking a physics class and he mentioned that the linear speed formula is similar to something he learned, except it's not:

\(\displaystyle v=(radius(theta))/time\)

but

\(\displaystyle v=distance/radius\)

I'm still very edgy and somewhat having trouble with trigonometry, my teacher's back is always blocking what he's doing.

Related to Finding revolution/minute of a wheel traveling in a speed of 15 miles/hour

1. How do you find the revolution/minute of a wheel traveling at 15 miles/hour?

To find the revolution/minute of a wheel, you need to first determine the circumference of the wheel. This can be done by multiplying the diameter of the wheel by pi (3.14). Then, divide the speed of the wheel (15 miles/hour) by the circumference to get the number of revolutions per hour. Finally, divide this number by 60 to get the revolutions per minute.

2. What is the formula for calculating revolution/minute?

The formula for calculating revolution/minute is revolutions per hour divided by 60. This can also be written as (revolutions per hour)/60 or (revolutions per minute).

3. Can you use different units for calculating revolution/minute?

Yes, you can use different units for calculating revolution/minute as long as the units are consistent. For example, if the speed is given in kilometers per hour, the circumference must also be in kilometers. Similarly, if the speed is given in feet per second, the circumference must also be in feet.

4. How does wheel size affect the revolution/minute?

The size of the wheel does not directly affect the revolution/minute. However, it does affect the circumference of the wheel, which is used in the calculation. A larger wheel will have a larger circumference, resulting in fewer revolutions per minute compared to a smaller wheel with a smaller circumference at the same speed.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate the revolution/minute of a non-circular wheel?

No, the formula used to calculate revolution/minute is specifically for circular wheels. For non-circular wheels, a different formula must be used to calculate the number of revolutions per minute based on the shape and size of the wheel.