Angular and Linear Speed....Part 1

In summary: But since you are an expert at summarizing content, can you help me out?In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of angular and linear speed for a wheel given its rate of rotation and radius. The formula for angular speed is w = θ/t and the formula for linear speed is v = ωr. The conversion from revolutions per minute to radians per second is done by multiplying by 2pi and dividing by 60, resulting in an answer of 50pi/3 radians/second. Similarly, the conversion from radians to linear distance is done using the formula s = θr, resulting in an answer of 750pi cm/second for a point on the circumference of the wheel and 375pi cm/
mathdad
You are given the rate of rotation of a wheel as well as its radius. For A-C, determine the following:

A. The angular speed, in units of radians/sec.

B. The linear speed, in units of cm/sec, of a point on the circumference of the wheel.

C. The linear speed, in cm/sec, of a point halfway between the center of the wheel and the circumference.

I will now post my effort.

Given: 500 rpm; r = 45 cm

Part A

The angular speed formula is w = θ/t.

I know that 1 revolution = 2pi radians.

I need θ.

θ = 500 (2pi radians)

θ = 1,000 pi radians.

w = 1,000 pi radians/sec

Book's answer is [50 pi/3] radians/sec. Something tells me that I needed to convert seconds to minutes. Yes?

Part B

I used the arc length formula, s = θr, as step 1.

s = (1,000 pi radians)(45 cm)

s = 45,000 pi cm = d

The letter d represents the distance in time t in the linear speed formula v = d/t.

v = 45,000 pi cm/sec is my answer.

Book's answer for Part B is 750 pi cm/sec.
Again, I am thinking that the units of conversation needed to be changed. Yes?

Part C

s = θr

s = (1,000 pi radians)(22.5 cm)

The decimal 22.5 came from dividing the radius in half in terms of the instructions for Part C above.

s = 22,500 pi cm = d

v = d/t

v = 22,500 pi cm/sec

Book's answer is 375 pi cm/sec.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A. \(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{\theta}{t}\)

\(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{500\text{ rev}}{1\text{ min}}\cdot\frac{2\pi\text{ rad}}{1\text{ rev}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ min}}{60\text{ s}}=\frac{50\pi}{3}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\)

B. \(\displaystyle v=\omega r\)

\(\displaystyle v=\left(\frac{50\pi}{3}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\right)\left(45\text{ cm}\right)=750\pi\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{s}}\)

C. \(\displaystyle v=\omega r\)

\(\displaystyle v=\left(\frac{50\pi}{3}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\right)\left(\frac{45}{2}\text{ cm}\right)=375\pi\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{s}}\)

MarkFL said:
A. \(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{\theta}{t}\)

\(\displaystyle \omega=\frac{500\text{ rev}}{1\text{ min}}\cdot\frac{2\pi\text{ rad}}{1\text{ rev}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ min}}{60\text{ s}}=\frac{50\pi}{3}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\)

B. \(\displaystyle v=\omega r\)

\(\displaystyle v=\left(\frac{50\pi}{3}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\right)\left(45\text{ cm}\right)=750\pi\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{s}}\)

C. \(\displaystyle v=\omega r\)

\(\displaystyle v=\left(\frac{50\pi}{3}\,\frac{\text{rad}}{\text{s}}\right)\left(\frac{45}{2}\text{ cm}\right)=375\pi\frac{\text{cm}}{\text{s}}\)

I follow everything you did here except for Part A.
Where did 50 pi/3 come from? Don't we multiply 500 rpm by 2 pi radians? Is 500 rpm • 2 pi radians not equal to 1,000 pi radians?

RTCNTC said:
I follow everything you did here except for Part A.
Where did 50 pi/3 come from? Don't we multiply 500 rpm by 2 pi radians? Is 500 rpm • 2 pi radians not equal to 1,000 pi radians?

Yes, but we also must divide by 60, and then reduce the fraction. :)

Oh boy! I better go back to 5th grade math.

What is Angular Speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point, measured in radians per unit of time.

What is Linear Speed?

Linear speed is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line, measured in distance per unit of time.

How are Angular and Linear Speed related?

Angular speed and linear speed are related by the radius of the circular motion. The linear speed is equal to the angular speed multiplied by the radius of the circle.

What is the formula for calculating Angular Speed?

The formula for calculating Angular Speed is: Angular Speed = Angular Distance/Time. It is typically measured in radians per second.

What is the formula for calculating Linear Speed?

The formula for calculating Linear Speed is: Linear Speed = Distance/Time. It is typically measured in meters per second.