Finding Solution to cos(x*L)=x

• Thread starter wesimpson
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the intersection point of y=cos(x*L) and y=x in terms of pi and L, with only the x component of the intersection point needed. It is known that L compresses the cosine wave and y=x is a 45 degree line. After attempting to plot and solve for a specific value of L, it is concluded that there is no closed expression for the solution, but numerical methods or approximations can be used. The Solver tool in EXCEL can also be used to find a numerical solution for a specific value of L.
wesimpson

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the intersection point of y=cos(x*L) and y=x. I need the solution in terms of pi and L and only need the x component of the intersection point. I think the solution will be in the form of x = some_number*pi/L

Homework Equations

I know that the L in cos(x*L) just compresses the cosine wave so that instead of the period being 2*pi it is 2*pi/L.
I also know that y=x is simply a 45 degree line.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I plotted y=cos(x) and y = x and found this intersection point to be 0.235*pi.
Then, I tried to plot y=cos(x*L) but can't seem to find a tool to actually give me this plot because L is a variable.
I know the actual intersection point will depend on L, but that's OK because I need the result in terms of L.
I tried to use x = 0.235*pi/L as the solution but that fails because only the cosine wave is compressed by L, not the y=x line. For example, if L=2, the result is NOT 0.235*pi/2 = 0.1175*pi. Instead it would be 0.1639*pi.

I think I am so close, but can't make the final step.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not as close as you think because there is no closed expression for the solution of cos(Lx)-x=0. All you can do is numerics. Be careful about multiple solutions.

That's discouraging. Here's a hand plot I did. Yes, there are multiple solutions, but there's only one that I'm interested in (shown in the sketch).
i4sHlgU.jpg

Attachments

• Jswd2Bb.jpg
    Jswd2Bb.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 458
We can make a 3rd order estimate by writing
$$\cos(xL)\approx 1-\frac 12 (xL)^2$$
after which we can solve the quadratic equation.
Similarly we can make a 5th order estimate.
Or otherwise we can use the Newton-Raphson algorithm to find the intersection for specific values of L.

wesimpson said:
That's discouraging. Here's a hand plot I did. Yes, there are multiple solutions, but there's only one that I'm interested in (shown in the sketch).
View attachment 212646

If you have EXCEL (or even other, open-source spreadsheets) you can use the Solver tool to get a numerical solution when a numerical value of L is known.

Related to Finding Solution to cos(x*L)=x

1. What is the purpose of finding a solution to cos(x*L)=x?

The purpose of finding a solution to this equation is to determine the values of x that satisfy the equation. This can help in solving various mathematical problems and can also have real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. Is there a specific method to solve cos(x*L)=x?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to solve this equation. Some common approaches include using trigonometric identities, graphing techniques, and numerical methods such as iteration or approximation.

3. Can cos(x*L)=x have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have more than one solution. This is because the cosine function is a periodic function, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. Therefore, there can be multiple values of x that satisfy the equation.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x for which cos(x*L)=x is defined?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x for which this equation is defined. The cosine function is only defined for real values of x, and the value of x*L must be within the domain of the cosine function, which is (-∞, ∞). Additionally, the equation may have restrictions based on the specific problem or context in which it is being used.

5. Can technology be used to find a solution to cos(x*L)=x?

Yes, technology such as calculators and computer software can be used to find a solution to this equation. These tools can perform complex calculations and graphing, making it easier to visualize and solve the equation. However, it is still important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods used to solve the equation.