• Thread starter Hill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    quantized
Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Show for a boson particle in a box of volume ##V## that $$\frac 1 V \sum_{\mathbf{pq}} e^{i(\mathbf{px}-\mathbf{qy})}[\hat a_{\mathbf p},\hat a^\dagger_{\mathbf q}]=\delta^{(3)}(\mathbf x - \mathbf y)$$
Relevant Equations
##[\hat a_{\mathbf p},\hat a^\dagger_{\mathbf q}]=\delta_{\mathbf{pq}}##
To simplify, I consider a one-dimensional box of the size L. I need to show in this case that
$$\frac 1 L \sum_{pq} e^{i(px-qy)}[\hat a_p,\hat a^\dagger_q]=\delta(x -y)$$
With the commutation relation above, it becomes
$$\frac 1 L \sum_p e^{ip(x-y)}=\delta(x -y)$$
p is quantized: ##p_m=\frac {2\pi m} L##

So I need to show that
$$\frac 1 L \sum_m e^{i \frac {2\pi m} L (x-y)}=\delta(x -y)$$
If ##x \neq y## the sum is ##0##, but I don't know how to proceed otherwise.
A hint?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Got it.

##\langle x|p \rangle= \frac 1 {\sqrt L} e^{ipx}##
and
##\langle p|y \rangle= \frac 1 {\sqrt L} e^{-ipy}##

OOH,
##\langle x|y \rangle = \delta(x-y)##

OTOH, inserting the resolution of identity,
##\langle x|y \rangle = \sum_p \langle x|p \rangle \langle p|y \rangle=\frac 1 L \sum_p e^{ip(x-y)}##

Thus,
##\frac 1 L \sum_p e^{ip(x-y)}=\delta(x-y)##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. How do you define the commutation relation for quantized bosons in a one-dimensional box?

The commutation relation for quantized bosons in a one-dimensional box is defined as [a, a†] = 1, where a is the annihilation operator and a† is the creation operator.

2. What is the significance of proving the commutation relation for quantized bosons in a one-dimensional box?

Proving the commutation relation is crucial for understanding the behavior of bosons in a confined space and for accurately predicting their properties and interactions.

3. How is the commutation relation for quantized bosons derived in a one-dimensional box?

The commutation relation can be derived by quantizing the bosonic field in a one-dimensional box and applying the canonical commutation relations between the field operators.

4. What are the implications of the commutation relation on the energy levels of quantized bosons in a one-dimensional box?

The commutation relation directly affects the energy levels of quantized bosons, leading to quantization of energy levels and the exclusion principle for bosons.

5. Are there any experimental validations of the commutation relation for quantized bosons in a one-dimensional box?

Experimental validations of the commutation relation for quantized bosons in a one-dimensional box have been conducted in various quantum systems, such as trapped ions and superconducting circuits, confirming the predicted behavior of bosons in confined spaces.