Finding Source of Image: Concentric Rings, Torus, Plusses/Minuses

In summary, the conversation is about a mysterious image that the speaker has been trying to find the source of. They mention that it reminds them of images from physics textbooks and provide a description of the image, noting the presence of concentric rings, intersecting lines, and other elements that are difficult to make out. The speaker expresses interest in the graph shown in the image and asks for more information about its source and why it appears to be incomplete.
T.S.
I've been trying to find the source of this image, or ones similar to it, for yonks.

0c3e90ef.jpg

The image is incomplete, which doesn't help. The reason I ask this on a physics forum is because it reminds me of those images out of the physics textbooks I used to have.

Looking at the concentric rings and how they are displaced in relation to each other it looks to me like this picture is showing a torus (the rings are more closely bunched together at the outside and the towards the middle of the picture). Plotted on this torus are two lines. The first line snakes it's way around the graph in a close series of crests and valleys. The second line is plotted so it overlaps some of the crests and valleys of the first line.

There are a number of plusses and minuses around the outside of the torus that are hard to see. There are also figures which I assume to be numbers inside small circles around the torus, but they are far too blurry to make out.

In the very centre of the picture is what looks like a incomplete pyramid or a tesseract seen from above. I believe this might have been added over the top of the graph along with the tube that leads up and out of the picture. I'm more interested in the strange graph underneath them!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you add any background on where you acquired this picture? And why it appears to be incomplete?

After doing some research, I believe the image you are describing may be related to the concept of a "Klein bottle," which is a non-orientable surface that is often represented as a torus with a twist. The concentric rings and displaced lines on the image could be representing the twisted nature of the Klein bottle. The plusses and minuses could also be referring to the positive and negative curvature of the surface.

As for the numbers and circles, they could be related to the mathematical equations that describe the Klein bottle or could be part of a visualization of its topology.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the exact source of this image, but it is likely from a physics or mathematics textbook or a scientific journal. I suggest searching for "Klein bottle visualization" or "Klein bottle topology" to find similar images and potentially the original source.

I hope this helps in your search for the source of the image. It is always interesting to see how complex mathematical concepts are represented visually.

Related to Finding Source of Image: Concentric Rings, Torus, Plusses/Minuses

1. What is the meaning of concentric rings in an image?

Concentric rings in an image refer to a series of circles or rings that share a common center. These rings can have varying sizes and can be found in various types of visual media such as photographs, illustrations, and diagrams.

2. How are torus shapes created in images?

Torus shapes in images are typically created using 3D modeling software or by manipulating existing images using graphic design tools. A torus is a shape that resembles a donut with a hole in the center and can be seen in various images, from scientific diagrams to artworks.

3. What do plusses and minuses represent in an image?

In an image, plusses and minuses can represent several different things. They can be used as mathematical symbols to represent addition and subtraction, or they can be used to indicate positive and negative charges in scientific diagrams. In some cases, plusses and minuses can also be used to denote the presence or absence of an attribute or feature in an image.

4. How can we determine the source of an image with concentric rings, torus, and plusses/minuses?

The best way to determine the source of an image with concentric rings, torus, and plusses/minuses is to consult the accompanying caption or description, if available. If no information is provided, the image can be reverse searched using a search engine or image recognition software to find similar images and their sources.

5. What are some common scientific applications of images with concentric rings, torus, and plusses/minuses?

Images with concentric rings, torus, and plusses/minuses are commonly used in scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and astronomy. They can be used to represent various concepts and phenomena, such as the structure of atoms, the orbits of planets, and the behavior of particles. These images are also frequently used in educational materials to help illustrate complex ideas and theories.