Finding Speed and Volume Flow Rate in a Constricted Pipe

In summary, the homework statement is about a pipe that has two sections with different pressures and diameters. The flow through the pipe is described as being in steady, ideal flow. However, at one point the pressure is 2.50*10^4 Pa and the diameter is 8.0 cm. At another point .5 Meters higher, the pressure is equal to 1.50*10^4 Pa and the diameter is 4.0cm. The speed of the flow at the lower and the upper sections can be found using the equation V_{in} = \frac{A_{out}}{A_{in}}V_{out}.
xray2golf

Homework Statement

Water moves through a constricted pipe in steady, ideal flow. At one point, where the pressure is 2.50*10^4 Pa, the diameter is 8.0 cm. At another point .5 Meters higher, the pressure is equal to 1.50*10^4 Pa and the diameter is 4.0cm. Find the speed of flow at the lower and the upper sections and also find the volume flow rate through the pipe

Homework Equations

I don't really care about the volume flow rate at this point, am really interested in how to find the speed of the flow at one of the sections, say at the lower section where the altitude would equal zero.

P1+(Rho)(g)(y) + 1/2(rho)(V)^2 = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Insert pressure at lower point for P1
Zero height eliminates rho g y
Insert density of water for rho
Leave V as V, since that is what we are solving for
Dont know what to insert for constant.

At this point, I am at a loss...constant is a variable? Does that give two variables and how then solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall back to solving problems with energy conservation, this is similar (actually the same, bernoulli's equation is just a by-product of energy conservation...kool isn't it? *insert nerdiness*)

Well, constant usually means the atmospheric pressure (if there are any) or 0.

I tend to do these problems differently. I look at the initial and set it equal to the end. Since energy is conserved (which is what Bernoulli's Law states), then the initial energy must equal to the final energy. (and everything is analogue to what they look it in energy conservation, except m becomes rho - for a reason too)

You have not written the equation correctly. The equation does not state that the initial conditions + final conditions = constant. It says that any condition = constant. Because of this, we can say that the initial condition = final condition.

So let's look at what you were given. You have pressures at both inlet and outlet, along with a delta z. The only remaining terms are velocity components. So, we have one equation, and two unknowns. We can't solve this directly, so we'll need another equation.

Luckily, the since our flow is incompressible, we can get a relationship between the two velocity terms. From continuity:
[tex]\dot{m}_{in} = \dot{m}_{out}[/tex]
Or:
[tex](\rho A V)_{in} = (\rho A V)_{out}[/tex]
Since the density remains constant, we can solve for either the inlet or outlet velocity.
[tex] V_{in} = \frac{A_{out}}{A_{in}}V_{out}[/tex]
Plug that into the equation, and now we have one equation with one unknown. Solve.

Hunter made a good point that should be remembered. Bernoulli's equation is derived DIRECTLY from conservation of energy. It basically says the energy at one point is equal to the energy at another point plus any any work that has come in minus any work that the fluid put out. It says that between two points, the energy in the fluid can be transferred between potential energy (z), kinetic energy (velocity), and pressure.

minger said:
You have not written the equation correctly. The equation does not state that the initial conditions + final conditions = constant. It says that any condition = constant. Because of this, we can say that the initial condition = final condition.

So let's look at what you were given. You have pressures at both inlet and outlet, along with a delta z. The only remaining terms are velocity components. So, we have one equation, and two unknowns. We can't solve this directly, so we'll need another equation.

Luckily, the since our flow is incompressible, we can get a relationship between the two velocity terms. From continuity:
[tex]\dot{m}_{in} = \dot{m}_{out}[/tex]
Or:
[tex](\rho A V)_{in} = (\rho A V)_{out}[/tex]
Since the density remains constant, we can solve for either the inlet or outlet velocity.
[tex] V_{in} = \frac{A_{out}}{A_{in}}V_{out}[/tex]
Plug that into the equation, and now we have one equation with one unknown. Solve.

Hunter made a good point that should be remembered. Bernoulli's equation is derived DIRECTLY from conservation of energy. It basically says the energy at one point is equal to the energy at another point plus any any work that has come in minus any work that the fluid put out. It says that between two points, the energy in the fluid can be transferred between potential energy (z), kinetic energy (velocity), and pressure.

Ok, by solving [tex] V_{in} = \frac{A_{out}}{A_{in}}V_{out}[/tex] with the actual data,

[tex] V_{in} = (12.6/50.3)V_{out}[/tex] or [tex]V_{in} = .250V_[out][/tex]

I assume I plug that into the original P[tex]_{}1[/tex] + [tex]P[/tex]gy + 1/2[tex]P[/tex] V[tex]^{}2[/tex] = constant or into the longer version? (sorry, I am struggling with the Latex)

I will try and work the math on paper and come back with my answer.

Thanks

OK,

I plugged Vin = .250Vout into the original Bernoulli's equation and ended up with V2 = 3.30.

(25000) + (.5)*(1000)*(.250V2)^2 + (1000)*(9.8)*(0) = (15000) + (.5)*(1000)*(V2)^2 + (1000)*(9.8)(.5)

V2 = 3.30

If this is correct then I will plug that answer back into the equation and solve for the exit velocity.

Quickly looking at it looks correct; do make sure that your units work out, and tha your sign notation is correct.

minger said:
Quickly looking at it looks correct; do make sure that your units work out, and tha your sign notation is correct.

I got V1 to equal .831

When I plug these numbers into the equation for flow rate through the pipe I get very close numbers at both ends...41.8 m^3/sec and 41.5 m^3/sec.

I assume the rounding could be the reason for the difference...the bottom line is the numbers are the same, as the should be throughout the pipe.

Thanks for the assistance.

Related to Finding Speed and Volume Flow Rate in a Constricted Pipe

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation and what does it represent?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between fluid pressure, velocity, and elevation. It states that in an ideal fluid flow, the sum of the static pressure, dynamic pressure, and gravitational potential energy per unit volume is constant at any point along the flow.

2. How is Bernoulli's Equation derived?

Bernoulli's Equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. By applying this principle to a fluid flow, the equation is derived by considering the various forms of energy involved, such as pressure energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy.

3. What are the assumptions made in Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is based on a number of simplifying assumptions, including the fluid being incompressible, non-viscous, and irrotational. It also assumes that the flow is steady and that there are no external forces acting on the fluid, such as gravity or friction.

4. How is Bernoulli's Equation used in real-world applications?

Bernoulli's Equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including aerodynamics, hydraulics, and fluid mechanics. It is used to predict the behavior of fluids in different situations, such as in pipes, pumps, and airfoils. It is also used in the design of aircrafts, cars, and other vehicles.

5. What are some limitations of Bernoulli's Equation?

While Bernoulli's Equation is a useful tool for predicting fluid behavior, it has some limitations. It only applies to ideal fluids, which do not exist in real life. The equation also does not take into account factors such as turbulence, viscosity, and compressibility, which can greatly affect fluid flow. As such, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with other equations and models for more accurate predictions.