Finding Stress-Energy Tensor: General Rules & Variational Principle

In summary: So, in summary, one can find the components of the Stress-Energy tensor by knowing the Einstein tensor and the metric, or by using variational principle and approximations.
davidge
I wonder if there is a "general rule", a kind of "algorithm" for finding the components of the Stress-Energy tensor in for particular cases.
For the Einstein tensor, just by knowing the metric, one can find the components of it. What about the Stress-Energy tensor?

One way I thought of (and that is the way I have been encountering in books on GR) is using what we know about the scenario... to make approximations and then deriving the components.

Another way I thought of is by using variational principle. Would this require knowing the field that describes the matter in the situation we are considering, right? Is knowing the field too hard?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean exactly?How about the functional derivative of the matter action wrt the field?

Likes davidge
davidge said:
For the Einstein tensor, just by knowing the metric, one can find the components of it. What about the Stress-Energy tensor?

If you know the Einstein tensor, you know the stress-energy tensor, since the Einstein Field Equation equates the two.

Likes davidge
haushofer said:
What do you mean exactly?How about the functional derivative of the matter action wrt the field?
Excuse me if I'm not fully capable of expressing myself, this is due my lack of knowledge in English.
PeterDonis said:
If you know the Einstein tensor, you know the stress-energy tensor, since the Einstein Field Equation equates the two.
Ok, but how does one know it in a situation where there are no information about the metric (and thus about the Einstein tensor)?

davidge said:
how does one know it in a situation where there are no information about the metric

You have to know something about what kind of matter, energy, fields, etc. are present. For example, if you know a perfect fluid is present, you use the stress-energy tensor for a perfect fluid. (That's how the standard FRW solutions in cosmology are derived.)

Likes davidge
davidge said:
I wonder if there is a "general rule", a kind of "algorithm" for finding the components of the Stress-Energy tensor in for particular cases. For the Einstein tensor, just by knowing the metric, one can find the components of it. What about the Stress-Energy tensor?

How about
[tex]
\begin{align*}
T^{\mu \nu}
\ =\
\rho c^2\ \left( \begin{array}{cccc}
u^{0} u^{0} & u^{0} u^{1} & u^{0} u^{2} & u^{0} u^{3} \\
u^{1} u^{0} & u^{1} u^{1} & u^{1} u^{2} & u^{1} u^{3} \\
u^{2} u^{0} & u^{2} u^{1} & u^{2} u^{2} & u^{2} u^{3} \\
u^{3} u^{0} & u^{3} u^{1} & u^{3} u^{2} & u^{3} u^{3} \\
\end{array} \right)
\end{align*}[/tex]
?

Likes davidge
PeterDonis said:
You have to know something about what kind of matter, energy, fields, etc. are present
As I asked in the opening post, is it hard to know the exact field equations that describe the matter?

sweet springs said:
How about

As @haushofer pointed out, this is not a "general rule" for constructing a stress-energy tensor. It is a particular case: ##T_{\mu \nu} = \rho u_\mu u_\nu##, which describes a perfect fluid with zero pressure, rest energy density ##\rho##, and 4-velocity ##u_\mu##.

davidge said:
is it hard to know the exact field equations that describe the matter?

Depends on the kind of matter and what approximations you want to use. The most general method is to find the Lagrangian that describes the matter (or whatever you want to call it--we don't usually call electromagnetic fields "matter", for example, but we know a Lagrangian for them), and then use that to derive field equations, equations of motion, stress-energy tensor, or whatever else you need. But there is no single way to find the Lagrangian; you just have to figure it out for each individual case you're interested in.

Likes davidge
PeterDonis said:
Depends on the kind of matter and what approximations you want to use. The most general method is to find the Lagrangian that describes the matter (or whatever you want to call it--we don't usually call electromagnetic fields "matter", for example, but we know a Lagrangian for them), and then use that to derive field equations, equations of motion, stress-energy tensor, or whatever else you need. But there is no single way to find the Lagrangian; you just have to figure it out for each individual case you're interested in.
Ah, cool.

1. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum throughout space and time. It is a symmetric, second-rank tensor that contains information about the energy density, pressure, and momentum flux of a physical system.

2. Why is the stress-energy tensor important?

The stress-energy tensor is important because it is a fundamental quantity in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It plays a crucial role in determining the curvature of space-time and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. What are the general rules for finding the stress-energy tensor?

The general rules for finding the stress-energy tensor involve using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy. These equations can be solved by using the variational principle, which involves finding the action functional and varying it with respect to the metric tensor.

4. How is the variational principle used to find the stress-energy tensor?

The variational principle is used to find the stress-energy tensor by varying the action functional with respect to the metric tensor. This involves using the principle of least action to find the path that minimizes the action, which is equivalent to solving the Einstein field equations.

5. What are some applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor has many applications in physics, including in general relativity, cosmology, and fluid dynamics. It is used to describe the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, and it is crucial for understanding the dynamics of black holes, gravitational waves, and the expansion of the universe.