Finding temperature from equal radiant power

In summary, the temperature of the cube made from melting down a solid sphere with a temperature of 785 K and having the same emissivity and emitting the same radiant power is 744 K. The relationship between the two objects is that their volumes are equal, allowing for the calculation of the cube's side and ultimately, its surface area. By setting the equations for radiant power equal to each other and using the relationship between the volumes, the temperature of the cube can be found.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A solid sphere has a temperature of 785 K. The sphere is melted down and recast into
a cube that has the same emissivity and emits the same radiant power as the sphere.
What is the cube's temperature?

Homework Equations

Q = eσT4At

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the radiant power and emmissivity of the two objects are the same and σ is a constant so I can say that;

Ts4As = T4cAc

Subscript s and c for sphere and cube.

I know the sphere's temperature and can express it's area as 4∏r2 and the area of the cube can be expressed as 6r2. Where r represents one side.

And now, I don't know what to do. Is there a relationship that links the volume of a sphere to the size of cube that can be made from it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's the same amount of metal, wouldn't you expect the volumes of the sphere and cube to be equal?

Yes, that was a mistake.

What I meant to say was is there a relationship between the sphere and the cube that can be used to find surface area.

For a sphere of radius r, I'm pretty sure that only one cube can be constructed.

BOAS said:
What I meant to say was is there a relationship between the sphere and the cube that can be used to find surface area.

Yes, in this case there exist a relationship - their volumes are equal. Use that fact to find how rc depends on rs.

Honestly, I have no idea what the problem is.

So if you know the radius of the sphere (call it r), you can calculate the side of the cube (call it d so you don't get confused) that has the same volume, right? So then you can calculate As and Ac from the formulae you gave before.

phyzguy said:
So if you know the radius of the sphere (call it r), you can calculate the side of the cube (call it d so you don't get confused) that has the same volume, right? So then you can calculate As and Ac from the formulae you gave before.

I don't actually have any numbers for r or d, but the relationship is this;

d = 3√(4/3 πr3)

T44πr2 = T463√(4/3 πr3)2

Am I actually going about this question in a sensible way?

Last edited:
BOAS said:
I don't actually have any numbers for r or d, but the relationship is this;

d = 3√(4/3 πr3)

Looks OK to me.

Am I actually going about this question in a sensible way?

Yes.

Now that you know how d depends on r, you should be able to find how Ac depends on As.

So Ac = 6d2

= 6(4/3 πr3)2/3

T44πr2 = T463√(4/3 πr3)2

T42πr2 = T43(4/3 πr3)2/3

3r6T12 = 27(4/3 πr3)2T12

8πT12 = 48T12

T = 744 K

Related to Finding temperature from equal radiant power

1. How do you measure temperature using equal radiant power?

To measure temperature using equal radiant power, you will need a device called a pyrometer. This device measures the amount of radiation emitted by an object, which is directly related to its temperature. By comparing the radiant power of the object to a known reference, the pyrometer can calculate the object's temperature.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and radiant power?

The relationship between temperature and radiant power is directly proportional. As the temperature of an object increases, its radiant power also increases. This is because as the temperature rises, the object emits more electromagnetic radiation, resulting in a higher radiant power.

3. How accurate is the method of finding temperature from equal radiant power?

The method of finding temperature from equal radiant power is a very accurate way to measure temperature, with an accuracy of within 1-2% of the actual temperature. However, the accuracy may be affected by factors such as the surface finish and emissivity of the object being measured.

4. What are some common applications of using equal radiant power to find temperature?

Equal radiant power is commonly used in industrial settings, such as in manufacturing and processing industries, to measure the temperature of objects that are difficult or impossible to touch or reach. It is also used in scientific research, such as in astronomy to measure the temperature of stars and planets.

5. Are there any limitations to using equal radiant power to find temperature?

One limitation of using equal radiant power to find temperature is that it can only measure the surface temperature of an object. It cannot accurately measure the internal temperature of an object. Additionally, the accuracy may be affected by external factors such as ambient temperature and air movement.