Finding the Acceleration of a Ping Pong Ball with No Drag Coefficient

• Thread starter Monocles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, the ping pong ball of mass m will experience an acceleration of 3g vertically upwards immediately after being thrown downward at twice its terminal speed. This can be calculated using the equation F = mg = 0.5 * rho * (2v)^2 * AC_d.
Monocles
[SOLVED] very simple drag question

Homework Statement

A ping pong ball of mass m is thrown downward at twice it's terminal speed. What is its magnitude of acceleration immediately after release in terms of m and any other physical or mathematical constants?

Homework Equations

This was a quiz question, the only ones I could think of were
D = 1/4Av^2
Sum of Forces = ma = D - mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we weren't given a drag coefficient or area of the ping pong ball I had no idea how to proceed. All I knew is that we were allowed to use the ball's mass and any other physical or mathematical constants to solve it. Since mass was the only given quantity allowed I figured that it wasn't involved in the solution because mass isn't a dimension of acceleration. I couldn't find the drag force on the ball, so I just wrote that the magnitude of acceleration was g. It was pretty much a pure guess. Maybe this is the correct answer, but this is only question on the quiz I had no idea how to do so I wanted to ask here as soon as possible :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Monocles said:

Homework Statement

A ping pong ball of mass m is thrown downward at twice it's terminal speed. What is its magnitude of acceleration immediately after release in terms of m and any other physical or mathematical constants?

Homework Equations

This was a quiz question, the only ones I could think of were
D = 1/4Av^2
Sum of Forces = ma = D - mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we weren't given a drag coefficient or area of the ping pong ball I had no idea how to proceed. All I knew is that we were allowed to use the ball's mass and any other physical or mathematical constants to solve it. Since mass was the only given quantity allowed I figured that it wasn't involved in the solution because mass isn't a dimension of acceleration. I couldn't find the drag force on the ball, so I just wrote that the magnitude of acceleration was g. It was pretty much a pure guess. Maybe this is the correct answer, but this is only question on the quiz I had no idea how to do so I wanted to ask here as soon as possible :)
assuming quadratic drag, the drag force is
F_drag = kV^2. Calculate the terminal velocity, then the drag force based on the speed at release, then use your correct 'sum of forces' equation. Most stuff should cancel. The acceleration would initially be 'g' only if the object were dropped from rest. That's not the case here.

Alright I think I have it. The equation we were told to use for drag was 1/4Av^2, so from that:

Fdrag = drag force
Vt = terminal velocity
A = area

Fdrag @ Vt = mg = 1/4AVt^2
Fdrag @ 2Vt = 1/4A(2Vt)^2 = AVt^2
Vt = sqrt(4mg/A)
ma = AVt^2 - mg
=A(4mg/A) - mg
=4mg - mg

therefore magnitude of acceleration = 3g

At terminal velocity, you know the following:

Force due to gravity = force due to drag
[tex]mg = 0.5 * \rho * v^2 * AC_{d}[/tex]

At twice terminal velocity you know that the force due to drag is:
[tex]F_{d} = 0.5 * \rho * (2v)^2 * AC_{d}[/tex]
[tex]F_{d} = 0.5 * \rho * 4 * v^2 * AC_{d}[/tex]

That's four times as high as before, since drag increases with the square of the velocity. Obviously mg hasn't changed though, so you know that overall the total force acting on the ball is 3mg. Therefore the acceleration on the ball is 3g vertially upwards:
[tex]3 * 9.8 = 29.4 m/s^{2}[/tex]

1. What is drag in science?

Drag is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the interaction between the moving object and the surrounding fluid.

2. How is drag calculated?

Drag can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account factors such as the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

3. What factors affect drag?

The main factors that affect drag are the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, and the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid it is moving through. Other factors such as surface roughness and turbulence can also play a role.

4. How can drag be reduced?

Drag can be reduced by changing the shape of the object to be more streamlined, reducing the size of the object, or by using techniques such as adding a coating to reduce surface roughness. Additionally, reducing the speed of the object or changing the properties of the fluid can also reduce drag.

5. What is the difference between drag and friction?

Drag and friction are both forces that oppose motion, but they act in different ways. Drag is caused by the interaction between a moving object and the surrounding fluid, while friction is caused by the contact between two surfaces. Additionally, drag is dependent on the speed of the object, while friction is not.