Finding the acceleration of a refrigerator

In summary, the coefficient of kinetic friction between a refrigerator and the floor is 0.20. The mass of the refrigerator is 100.0 kg, and the coefficient of static friction is 0.25. When applying the minimum force needed to get the refrigerator to move, the acceleration is 0.49 m/s^2. The forces involved in calculating the net force on the fridge include the push force and the friction force, with the friction force being either static or kinetic depending on the state of motion of the fridge.
physics411

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between a refrigerator and the floor is 0.20. The mass of the refrigerator is 100.0 kg, and the coefficient of static friction is 0.25. Determine the acceleration when you apply the minimum force needed to get the refrigerator to move.

The answer is 0.49 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

Sum of the forces: Fx = max = Fa + (-Fs)

Fy = 0 = Fn = mg

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have worked at this problem for quite some time now. I know for a fact that the normal force applied on this object is 980 from solving it through the sum of the forces in the y-component formula.

I know that Fs can be written as Us times Fn. If I use static friction, Fs = 245 N. With kinetic, its 196 N.

I tried solving for acceleration using either forces (divide F by m) but was not able to get the right answer.

Perhaps someone here can assist me?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that there is friction when it moves.

Likes physics411 and cyberdiver
physics411 said:
Perhaps someone here can assist me?

It would help if you showed your working.
Your first step should almost always be to draw a free body diagram.

Do you know what static and kinetic friction mean?

What is the minimum push force required to move the refrigerator? ie which type of friction must be overcome?
Once the fridge is moving, what is the opposing frictional force? So what is the net force on the fridge that causes the acceleration?

Likes physics411 and PietKuip
billy_joule said:
It would help if you showed your working.
Your first step should almost always be to draw a free body diagram.

Do you know what static and kinetic friction mean?

What is the minimum push force required to move the refrigerator? ie which type of friction must be overcome?
Once the fridge is moving, what is the opposing frictional force? So what is the net force on the fridge that causes the acceleration?
Yes, I do know what static and kinetic friction mean.

The type of friction that must be overcome is the force of static friction, as the refrigerator is stationary initially, no?

So I already found that which is 245 N. Because Fa = Fs (as I stated before).

Fs = Us * Fn
= (0.25)(100*9.8)
= 245 N

So this is the force that has to be overcome.

When the fridge is moving:

Fk = Uk*Fn
= (0.20)(100*9.8)
= 196 N

Fnet = 245 - 196 / 100
= 0.49 m/s^2 !

Okay so thank you for helping me find the acceleration, but I am confused about one thing, why do we include Fs and Fk when finding the net force? When the object is moving, isn't the Fs out of the question then? and Why do we subtract them!

It is excellent that you still ask when you found the correct number.

Why subtract - because the forces are in opposite directions. You are still pushing, working against the friction.

Likes physics411
PietKuip said:
It is excellent that you still ask when you found the correct number.

Why subtract - because the forces are in opposite directions. You are still pushing, working against the friction.
Ohh I understand how it all works now! Thanks for your time and help

physics411 said:
Okay so thank you for helping me find the acceleration, but I am confused about one thing, why do we include Fs and Fk when finding the net force? When the object is moving, isn't the Fs out of the question then? and Why do we subtract them!

The force required to move the fridge needs to overcome the static friction. Once the fridge is moving you are still applying the same push force but now the opposing friction (now kinetic) force is less. You are right that Fstatic friction is out of the question when the object is moving but the push force when moving is determined by Fstatic friction in the first place.

The net force on the fridge is the sum of all forces:
∑F = ma
∑F = Fpush + Fkinetic friction = ma

Fpush and Ffriction are in opposite directions so depending on what you chose as the positive x direction one of them will be negative.

Likes physics411

1. How do you find the acceleration of a refrigerator?

To find the acceleration of a refrigerator, you will need to measure its initial velocity and final velocity, as well as the time it takes for the refrigerator to reach its final velocity. You can then use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What tools or equipment do I need to find the acceleration of a refrigerator?

You will need a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance the refrigerator travels, a stopwatch or timer to measure the time, and a scale to measure the weight of the refrigerator. You may also need a calculator to calculate the acceleration using the formula.

3. Can I use any method to find the acceleration of a refrigerator?

Yes, you can use different methods to find the acceleration of a refrigerator. One method is to use the change in velocity and time, as mentioned in the first question. Another method is to use the force applied to the refrigerator and its mass, as acceleration is equal to force divided by mass (a = F/m).

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a refrigerator?

The acceleration of a refrigerator can be affected by factors such as the weight and size of the refrigerator, the surface it is placed on, the force applied to it, and any friction or resistance present.

5. Why is it important to find the acceleration of a refrigerator?

Finding the acceleration of a refrigerator can help in understanding its movement and performance. It can also be useful in determining the amount of force needed to move the refrigerator or the amount of time it will take for the refrigerator to reach a certain speed. This information can be helpful in designing more efficient and safe refrigerators.