Finding the Angle of Projection for a Projectile Using Trigonometry

In summary, the projectile fired from ground level at 25 m/s and hitting the ground 31.25 m away can be solved using trigonometry. We can use the equations t=delta x/velocityx and t=2viy/a and set them equal to each other to eliminate t. By replacing the values of velocityx and velocityinitialy with their respective trigonometric forms, we can solve for theta. Using the identity sin(t)cos(t)=sin(2t)/2, we can simplify the equation to find two possible values for theta: 15 degrees and 75 degrees. Therefore, the angle at which the projectile was fired is either 15 degrees or 75 degrees.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A projectile fired from ground level at 25 m/s hits the ground 31.25 m away. At what angle was it fired?

I wrote equations for t for both x and y

t = delta x / velocity x
t = 2 * viy/a

and set them equal to each other to eliminate t
and replaced velocityx with cos(theta)*25
and replaced velicityinitialy with sin(theta)*25

delta x / cos(theta)*25 = 2*sin(theta)*25/a

25 / cos(theta)*25 = 2*sin(theta)*25/9.81

sin(theta) * 25 * cos(theta)*25 = 153.28

My trig is not that good. How do I continue? Or is this even the right way to tackle this proble? Is there an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your previous work is correct, use the fact that sin(t)cos(t) = sin(2t)/2 to solve the last equation.

Muzza said:
Assuming your previous work is correct, use the fact that sin(t)cos(t) = sin(2t)/2 to solve the last equation.
Thank you! That was exactly the trigonometry trickery I was looking for. :smile:

My problem now boils down to
[tex]\frac{sin(2theta)25^2}{2} = 153.21825[/tex]

[tex]2theta = sin^{-1} = 0.4905[/tex]

[tex]2theta = 29.37[/tex]

[tex]theta = 14.685[/tex]

The back of the book, which rounds for significant figures list 15 degrees and 75 degrees. So I got one of the two answers with this method. But sin (75*2) also equal 0.5. And it makes sense that both the 15 and 75 degree angles should yield the same result in this type of projectile problem.

So how do I make [tex]sin^{-1}[/tex] acknowledge that [tex]sin^{-1}0.5[/tex] equals both 30 (15*2) and 150 (75*2)?

for your case, [tex]0 \leq \theta \leq 90\ degree[/tex], so
[tex]0 \leq 2\theta \leq 180\ degree[/tex]
so, you have to find all the values of theta that are in the above range and you have 2 values : 30 degree and 150 degree. so theta equals to 15 degree or 75 degree.

Related to Finding the Angle of Projection for a Projectile Using Trigonometry

1. What is the definition of trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is the path that an object takes through space as it moves under the influence of gravity and air resistance.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile affected by gravity?

Gravity is the primary force that affects the trajectory of a projectile. It pulls the object downwards, causing it to follow a curved path.

3. What factors influence the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is influenced by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. What is the difference between a projectile's range and its maximum height?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it covers before hitting the ground, while the maximum height is the highest point it reaches during its flight.

5. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and other factors such as air resistance and gravity.