Finding the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at moment of impact

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's homework problem involving throwing a stone off a cliff with a horizontal speed of 16.0 m/s and a cliff height of 41.0 m. The conversation includes calculations to find the time and angle of impact, and the student is seeking help to find the angle below the horizontal. The solution involves finding the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity vector and using them to find the angle.
Corey333

Homework Statement

A student stands at the edge of a cliff and throws a stone horizontally over the edge with a speed of 16.0 m/s. The cliff is h= 41.0 m above a flat horizontal beach
h=41
g=10m/s
vi=0m/s
vf2=vi2+2gh
vi=28.64
h=vi+vf/2xt
41=28.64/2xt
t=2.86
28.64x28.64, 16x16
Square root of 1076.24=32.806

I don't know how to find the angle, On my homework it requires the speed of which the impact lands which is 32.806, and the time it takes to strike the cliff after the stone is thrown which is 2.86, but it is asking for the angle below the horizontal but I don't know how to get it PLEASE HELP A.S.A.P.
I have a 90% on my homework right now but I need to find the angle to get a 100%, I'm a gpa freak I really need this help thank-you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean the angle the velocity vector makes with the horizontal. Find the horizontal and vertical components of velocity, and, given that, find the angle.

I have that, 28.64 and 16, I just don't know what to do with that.

Draw a triangle, two sides of which are the components of the velocity vector. The hypotenuse in the triangle is the velocity. How are the angles and the sides in the triangle related?

I appreciate your dedication to achieving a perfect score on your homework. To find the angle of the velocity vector at the moment of impact, we need to use the equation for projectile motion: vf = vi + at. In this case, we can use the known values of vf (final velocity of 32.806 m/s), vi (initial velocity of 16 m/s), and t (time of 2.86 seconds). Rearranging the equation, we get a = (vf - vi)/t, which gives us an acceleration of 5.28 m/s^2.

Next, we can use the fact that the horizontal component of the velocity (vx) remains constant throughout the motion and the vertical component (vy) is affected by gravity. We can use the equation vx = v cos(theta) and vy = v sin(theta), where v is the magnitude of the velocity and theta is the angle below the horizontal. We know the magnitude of the velocity (32.806 m/s) and the time (2.86 seconds), so we can solve for the angle by substituting these values into the equations.

vx = 32.806 cos(theta)
16 = 32.806 cos(theta)
cos(theta) = 16/32.806
theta = cos^-1(16/32.806)
theta = 61.9 degrees below the horizontal.

Therefore, the angle of the velocity vector at the moment of impact is 61.9 degrees below the horizontal. I hope this helps you achieve your desired score on your homework. Remember, it's important to understand the concepts and not just aim for a perfect score. Good luck!

Related to Finding the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at moment of impact

1. What is the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact?

The angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact depends on several factors, such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the forces acting on the projectile (such as gravity and air resistance). It is typically calculated using trigonometric functions and can be determined experimentally or mathematically.

2. How do you calculate the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact?

To calculate the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact, you will need to know the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of launch, and the forces acting on the projectile. You can use trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to determine the angle. Alternatively, you can use mathematical equations derived from the laws of motion.

3. What factors affect the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact?

The angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the forces acting on the projectile. Other factors that may have an impact include air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the projectile.

4. Can the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact be measured experimentally?

Yes, the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact can be measured experimentally. This can be done by setting up an experiment with known initial conditions and measuring the angle using a protractor or other measuring tools. Alternatively, the angle can also be calculated using mathematical equations derived from the laws of motion.

5. Why is it important to know the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact?

Knowing the angle of the velocity vector of a projectile at the moment of impact is important for understanding the trajectory and behavior of the projectile. It can also be used to make predictions and calculations for future launches or to analyze the effectiveness of a projectile in a specific scenario. Additionally, it is a key component in understanding the physics behind projectile motion and can be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and military operations.