Finding the Angle with Arctan: A Manual Approach

• Thread starter carlodelmundo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, you can approximate the arctan by taking the square root of the sum of the sines of the reference angle and the angle you are trying to find.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

http://carlodm.com/images/mth.png

** Note: The above is from a PRACTICE question for my course.

Homework Equations

arctan x = (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

So. (-3,6) is in Quadrant 2. To solve for this angle we use:

(pi) + arctan (-6/2) = (pi) + arctan (-2) = 2.034.

My question is:

How can I solve for arctan(-2) if I don't have a calculator? aka... how do I do it by hand?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well you can't really do it by hand, you can approximate it, but you'd need a calculator for that.

I only have a four function calculator to solve these types of problems in class. Is it possible with a 4 function? Any other method?

If you're taking a class involving trig, you really should have a scientific calculator. A four-function calculator is not much use at this level.

Finding the arctangent is way overkill.

Just looking at the quadrant narrows things down to two possibilities. The right answer can be determined by splitting the quadrant into two parts.

Try drawing the triangle on a cartesian coordinate system. You can relate it to a similar triangle with bottom leg 1, left leg of 2, and by pythagorean theorem, hypotenuse of sqrt(5).

In this arrangement, there is reference angle for which sine of this reference angle is same as sine of pi minus reference angle.

My first result for this seems arcsin(ref.angle) = (2/5)*sqrt(5)

I would either use scientific calculator or table of trigonom functions to find the reference angle; then find actual requested angle by pi minus reference angle.

Here is diagram that I draw recently
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8480/arctan.png

Here is what I do. First draw the line between (-3,6) and (0,0). You can see what the angle is, but still can not determine it. The next step is to divide the quadrant on half, (180+90)/2 = 135. You can still see that it is still not too close. Again find the half between 135 and 90 (because the angle is between these ones), (135+90)/2 = 112.5. Now it is close to the right angle. So you can just continue doing the same process over and over again until you are satisfied with the result.

I hope I was helpful. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding the Angle with Arctan: A Manual Approach

1. What is the purpose of finding theta with arctan?

The purpose of finding theta with arctan is to determine the angle (theta) in a right triangle when given two sides of the triangle. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications where angles are needed.

2. How does arctan work?

Arctan (also known as inverse tangent) is the inverse function of tangent. It is used to find the angle (theta) in a right triangle by taking the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the side adjacent to the angle.

3. Can theta be any value when using arctan?

No, theta must be between -90° and 90° when using arctan. This is because arctan is only defined for angles in the first and fourth quadrants of the unit circle.

4. How do you find theta with arctan?

To find theta with arctan, you can use a calculator or table that has the arctan function. If you know the values of the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle, you can plug them into the equation arctan(opposite/adjacent) to find the angle (theta).

5. Are there any limitations to using arctan to find theta?

One limitation of using arctan to find theta is that it can only be used for right triangles. Additionally, if the values of the opposite and adjacent sides are not known, it may be difficult to determine the exact angle (theta) using arctan.