Finding the center of mass of a solid hemisphere

In summary: R^4 \rho$In summary, for this derivation, the solid hemisphere is considered to be made up of smaller hemispherical shells at their respective center of mass at a distance r/2 from the center of the base. The mass of each shell is found to be ##dm = \frac {M}{(4/6)\pi R^3} (\frac{4\pi}{3}r^2 dr)## and the center of mass of the solid hemisphere is found to be along the Y-axis. However, when substituting this into the equation for the center of mass, ##Y_{cm} = \frac {1}{M} \int \frac {
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
find the center of mass of a solid hemisphere of radius R.
Relevant Equations
##Y_{cm} = \frac {1}{M} \int y dm##
for this derivation, I decided to think of the solid hemisphere to be made up of smaller hemispherical shells each of mass ##dm## at their respective center of mass at a distance r/2 from the center of the base of the solid hemisphere.
also, I have taken the center of the base of the solid hemisphere to be the origin. Due to symmetry, I know that the center of mass of the solid hemisphere is along the Y-axis.

I found the mass ##dm## of all the small hemispherical shells
$$dm = \frac {M}{(4/6)\pi R^3} (\frac{4\pi}{3}r^2 dr)$$

substituting ##dm## into $$Y_{cm} = \frac {1}{M} \int \frac {r}{2} dm $$

gives me ##Y_{cm} = R/4## which is wrong.

also, I know this can be done in a slightly easier way if you consider the hemisphere to be made up of solid discs but I thought I'd give this method a go! can someone help point out what exactly I am doing wrong here:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
I decided to think of the solid hemisphere to be made up of smaller hemispherical shells each of mass ##dm## at their respective center of mass at a distance r/2 from the center of the base of the solid hemisphere.

This doesn't sound right. What do you mean by this?

PeroK said:
This doesn't sound right. What do you mean by this?
hemisphere.png
I have considered the large solid hemisphere to be made up of smaller hemispherical shells whose center of mass we know is at ##r/2## and is of mass ##dm##

View attachment 269250I have considered the large solid hemisphere to be made up of smaller hemispherical shells whose center of mass we know is at ##r/2## and is of mass ##dm##
Why is the CoM of the shell at ##r/2##?

PeroK said:
Why is the CoM of the shell at ##r/2##?
hmm...because you can derive that by breaking the hemispherical shell into rings of mass ##dm## whose CoM lies at their centers and then you end up with $$Y_{cm} = 3R/2\int_0^{\pi/2}cos\theta sin^2\theta d\theta = R/2$$
the origin is at the center of the base of the hemispherical shell and R is the radius of the hemispherical shell.

Likes PeroK
hmm...because you can derive that by breaking the hemispherical shell into rings of mass ##dm## whose CoM lies at their centers and then you end up with $$Y_{cm} = 3R/2\int_0^{\pi/2}cos\theta sin^2\theta d\theta = R/2$$
the origin is at the center of the base of the hemispherical shell and R is the radius of the hemispherical shell.
Can you see why that doesn't work?

PeroK said:
Can you see why that doesn't work?
I thought breaking a solid hemisphere into hemispherical shells was analogous to breaking like a solid disk into smaller rings?

I thought breaking a solid hemisphere into hemispherical shells was analogous to breaking like a solid disk into smaller rings?
That's not the problem. This is the problem:

PeroK said:
That's not the problem. This is the problem:
$$Y_{cm} = \frac {1}{M} \int \frac {r}{2} dm$$ so this is wrong?

Consider a thin hemisphere of thickness ##dr##, and mass ##dm = 4\pi r^2 \rho dr##. Since the hemisphere is of infinitesimal thickness, its centroid is at ##\frac{r}{2}## in the ##y## direction. The sum of the first moments of mass of all of these tiny hollow hemispheres, which combine to make a solid hemisphere, in the ##y## direction, ##S_y##, will be$$S_y = \int_0^R y dm = 2\pi r^3 \rho dr$$Can you take it from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, my apologies, this calculation is correct.

what exactly is wrong in my method?

I found the mass ##dm## of all the small hemispherical shells
$$dm = \frac {M}{(4/6)\pi R^3} (\frac{4\pi}{3}r^2 dr)$$

I think this is not right. It should be ##2\pi r^2 dr## for a shell of radius ##r## and thickness ##dr##.

Likes Hamiltonian
PS I thought it was simpler to integrate disks of radius ##r## and height ##dz##:
$$dm = \rho \pi r^2 dz = \rho \pi (R^2 - z^2)dz$$
And, for the hollow hemisphere I got the integral:
$$R \int_0^{\frac {\pi}{2}}\sin \theta \ \cos \theta \ d\theta$$

Last edited:
PeroK said:
I think this is not right. It should be ##2\pi r^2 dr## for a shell of radius ##r## and thickness ##dr##.
what exactly should be ##2\pi r^2 dr##? ##dm##?
also, I am considering the mass per unit volume.

what exactly should be ##2\pi r^2 dr##? ##dm##?
also, I am considering the mass per unit volume.
In place of the volume formula you used.

PeroK said:
In place of the volume formula you used.
how exactly did you get that?
I got the volume of ##dm## as $$=\frac {4\pi}{6}(r + dr)^3 - \frac {4}{6}\pi r^3$$
$$\approx \frac {4\pi}{3}r^2dr$$

how exactly did you get that?
I got the volume of ##dm## as $$=\frac {4\pi}{6}(r + dr)^3 - \frac {4}{6}\pi r^3$$
$$\approx \frac {4\pi}{3}r^2dr$$
That's definitely not right. I took the surface area times ##dr##. It should come to the same thing.

What do you get when you expand ##(r + dr)^3##?

PeroK said:
That's definitely not right. I took the surface area times ##dr##. It should come to the same thing.

What do you get when you expand ##(r + dr)^3##?
what exactly is wrong here as we are supposed to get the same answer either way? or is the approximation of ##(dr)^2 = 0## and ##(dr)^3 = 0## wrong?

what exactly is wrong here as we are supposed to get the same answer either way? or is the approximation of ##(dr)^2 = 0## and ##(dr)^3 = 0## wrong?
You have to start challenging your own work. And being able to double-check things for yourself.

PS You can be as skeptical as you like, but you're the one who is asking why you got the wrong answer.

Likes Hamiltonian

What is the center of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is the point at which the hemisphere would balance if it were placed on a narrow support. It is also known as the centroid or center of gravity.

How do you find the center of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere can be found by using the formula x = 0, y = 0, and z = h/4, where h is the height of the hemisphere. This means that the center of mass is located at the center of the base of the hemisphere, at a height of one-fourth of the hemisphere's height.

Why is finding the center of mass important?

Finding the center of mass is important because it helps us understand the balance and stability of an object. It is also useful in engineering and physics calculations, such as determining the stability of structures and predicting the motion of objects.

Can the center of mass of a solid hemisphere be outside of the object?

No, the center of mass of a solid hemisphere will always be located within the object. This is because the center of mass is the average position of all the mass in the object, and the mass of the hemisphere is distributed symmetrically around its center.

How does the center of mass of a solid hemisphere compare to that of a hollow hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is located at the center of its base, while the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere is located at the center of its overall shape. This is because the mass of a hollow hemisphere is distributed differently, with more mass concentrated towards the edges.