Finding the Centre of Mass of a Cubical Container

In summary, a cubical container made of metal plate with uniform density and negligible thickness has an edge length of 40 cm. To find the centre of mass, the x and z coordinates can be found through symmetry, but the y coordinate is simply 0. Therefore, the centre of mass is located at (20, 0, 20). There is no need to show work as it is all determined by symmetry.
suspenc3
A cubical container has been constructed from metal plate of uniform density and negligible thickness. The box has an edge length of 40 cm.

Find the x, y, & z coordinates of the centre of mass of the box.

Im guessing that the x and y coordinates are found by the symmetry..But how do i find the y coordinate?

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Now that I think about it, Wouldnt the y coordinate 0?

If this is right, is their any method to show my work, or is it all just found by symmetry?

suspenc3 said:
A cubical container has been constructed from metal plate of uniform density and negligible thickness. The box has an edge length of 40 cm.
Find the x, y, & z coordinates of the centre of mass of the box.
Im guessing that the x and y coordinates are found by the symmetry..But how do i find the y coordinate?
Any help would be appreciated

I'm guessing you mean how do you find the z coordinate. Since a box has uniform length in every dimension it is easy to find the COM in every component through symmetry.

what I meant was : "remember that the box has no top
I can find the centre of mass in the x & z directions through symmetry

How do i find the y component? then i thought about it and realized that it would be "0"...therefore the centre of mass is (20, 0, 20)?

How do I show work for this?

Related to Finding the Centre of Mass of a Cubical Container

1. What is the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. Why is finding the centre of mass important?

Finding the centre of mass is important because it allows us to understand the overall motion and stability of an object or system. It is also crucial in calculating the effects of external forces on an object.

3. How do you find the centre of mass of an irregularly shaped object?

To find the centre of mass of an irregularly shaped object, you need to balance the object on a pivot point and mark the spot where it is perfectly balanced. Repeat this process with a different pivot point and the intersection of the two marks will be the centre of mass.

4. Can the centre of mass be located outside of the physical object?

Yes, the centre of mass can be located outside of the physical object. This can happen when the object has an irregular shape or when there are external forces acting on the object.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the location of the centre of mass?

The distribution of mass directly affects the location of the centre of mass. Objects with more mass distributed towards one side will have their centre of mass closer to that side. Similarly, objects with evenly distributed mass will have their centre of mass located at the geometric centre of the object.