Finding the change in the eigenvalue without knowing the change in the

In summary: Thank you, like most of these problems it became really easy once I got a push. Took about 30 seconds to show.
JBrandonS
Hello,

I am currently teaching myself quantum mechanics using MIT's OCW and am suck on the following problem from the second problem set of the 2005 7.43 class.

Homework Statement

Consider an operator O that depends on a parameter λ and consider the λ-dependent eigenvalue equation:
[tex]O(λ)| \psi(λ) > = o(λ) | \psi(λ) >[/tex]

Show that one can compute [itex]\frac{do(λ)}{dλ}[/itex] without knowing [itex]\frac{d|\psi(λ)>}{dλ}[/itex]. Thus one can determine the change in the eigenvalue without knowing the change in the eigenstate.

Under what conditions would O(λ) commute with O(λ')

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to begin on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
JBrandonS said:
Hello,

I am currently teaching myself quantum mechanics using MIT's OCW and am suck on the following problem from the second problem set of the 2005 7.43 class.

Homework Statement

Consider an operator O that depends on a parameter λ and consider the λ-dependent eigenvalue equation:
[tex]O(λ)| \psi(λ) > = o(λ) | \psi(λ) >[/tex]

Show that one can compute [itex]\frac{do(λ)}{dλ}[/itex] without knowing [itex]\frac{d|\psi(λ)>}{dλ}[/itex]. Thus one can determine the change in the eigenvalue without knowing the change in the eigenstate.

Under what conditions would O(λ) commute with O(λ')

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to begin on this one.

The first question looks like the Hellmann-Feynman theorem. Multiply by ##<\psi(λ)|## on the left and take the derivative and I think you need O to be Hermitian. Really not sure about the second half.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The first question looks like the Hellmann-Feynman theorem. Multiply by ##<\psi(λ)|## on the left and take the derivative and I think you need O to be Hermitian. Really not sure about the second half.

Thank you, like most of these problems it became really easy once I got a push. Took about 30 seconds to show.

I also believe the only case where O(λ) would commute with O(λ') would be for degenerate eigenvalues, but maybe someone else can chime in and let me know if that is right or wrong.

Related to Finding the change in the eigenvalue without knowing the change in the

1. What is an eigenvalue and why is it important?

An eigenvalue is a number that represents how an object or system will behave in response to a particular transformation. It is an essential concept in linear algebra and is used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Can we determine the change in the eigenvalue without knowing the change in the system?

Yes, it is possible to find the change in the eigenvalue without knowing the exact change in the system. This can be accomplished by using numerical methods or approximations to estimate the change in the eigenvalue.

3. How does finding the change in the eigenvalue help us in scientific research?

Finding the change in the eigenvalue can provide valuable insights into how a system or object will behave in response to different transformations. This information can be used to make predictions, optimize processes, and understand complex systems.

4. Are there any limitations to finding the change in the eigenvalue?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the change in the eigenvalue, especially when dealing with complex systems or non-linear transformations. In such cases, it may be challenging to accurately determine the change in the eigenvalue, and alternative methods may be needed.

5. How can we use the change in eigenvalue to solve real-world problems?

The change in the eigenvalue can be used in various ways to solve real-world problems. For example, it can be used in image and signal processing, machine learning, and data analysis to identify patterns and make predictions. It can also be used in engineering and physics to optimize designs and understand the behavior of physical systems.