Finding the change in weight from the force & difference in height (y)

In summary: So if we keep all the digits for 707.6461327 and 708, and then we subtract them, we get 0.3538673, which rounds to 0.354 when we keep 3 significant figures. In summary, if the mile-high building in Chicago were to be constructed, and ignoring Earth's rotation, your weight would decrease by approximately 0.354 N.
Ella1777
Information Given:In 1956, Frank Lloyd Wright proposed the construction of a mile-high building in Chicago. Suppose the building had been constructed.

Question: Ignoring Earth's rotation, find the change in your weight if you were to ride an elevator from the street level, where you weigh 708 N, to the top of the building.

Attempt:
earth's radius is: 4000m
w=708N*(4000/4001)^2=707.6461327N
(since there is a difference by a mile high)
Then I take this and subtract it from the original weigh
708-707.6461327=0.3538673

Physics news on Phys.org
Ella1777 said:
Then I take this and subtract it from the original weigh
708-707.6461327=0.3538673

Your approach is fine, but you need to write out the units and not use too many significant digits. Also, note the following:

Ella1777 said:
earth's radius is: 4000m
The unit m is typically reserved for the SI unit meter and the Earth radius is certainly not 4000 m. The non-SI unit mile is typically abbreviated mi.

Orodruin said:
Your approach is fine, but you need to write out the units and not use too many significant digits. Also, note the following:The unit m is typically reserved for the SI unit meter and the Earth radius is certainly not 4000 m. The non-SI unit mile is typically abbreviated mi.

I forgot to put my units on this post but I already have the correct units on my homework the units are not my concern since I understand them get it right the majority of the time.
As far as significant digits goes I have to write it all out our professor has stated that it’s the root of the cause of many wrong answers. I put my final answer in my homework as 0.354 (since it is 3 sig figs and sig figs applies to the final answer) Does that mean earth’s radius is 4000mi and I must convert that meters??

Thank you!

Ella1777 said:
Does that mean earth’s radius is 4000mi and I must convert that meters??
The figure for the Earth's radius is indeed 4000 mi. But there is no need to convert to meters. You also have the building height in miles. Working in miles and obtaining a dimensionless distance ratio of 4001/4000 is perfectly appropriate.

Can you justify the use of three significant digits in the answer?

Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
The figure for the Earth's radius is indeed 4000 mi. But there is no need to convert to meters. You also have the building height in miles. Working in miles and obtaining a dimensionless distance ratio of 4001/4000 is perfectly appropriate.

Can you justify the use of three significant digits in the answer?
The answer typed into Wileyplus must be 3 significant figures which rounds to 0.354 but only the final answer applies significant figures all the other work has to include all the digits

1. How do you calculate the change in weight from the force and difference in height?

The change in weight can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the difference in height. This is based on the principle of work and energy, where work is equal to force multiplied by distance.

2. What is the formula for finding the change in weight?

The formula for finding the change in weight is Change in weight = Force x Difference in height. This formula is derived from the work-energy principle, where work is equal to force multiplied by distance.

3. Can you explain the relationship between force, height, and weight?

The relationship between force, height, and weight is based on the principle of work and energy. The force applied to an object is directly proportional to its weight, and the difference in height over which the force is applied determines the amount of work done, which is equal to the change in weight.

4. How does the change in height affect the change in weight?

The change in height has a direct effect on the change in weight. This is because the work done, and therefore the change in weight, is directly proportional to the difference in height over which the force is applied. The greater the difference in height, the greater the change in weight will be.

5. What units are used to measure force, height, and weight?

Force is measured in Newtons (N), height is measured in meters (m), and weight is measured in Newtons (N). However, weight can also be measured in other units such as pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg) depending on the unit system being used.