Finding the Complement of a Set

• Thread starter Keen94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the proposition x2≥4 can be rewritten as x≤-2 or x≥2. The set P, which consists of all real numbers that satisfy this proposition, is equivalent to the set {x I x≤-2 or x≥2}. To find the set P', we negate the proposition, resulting in the set {x I -2<x<2}. The correct solution is (-2,2) and not (-4,4) as stated in the book.
Keen94
1. Find P'={x I ~px} for the given open sentences px.
#25. x2≥4.
(Problem from 1.10, Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley.
Solution offered at the back of the book: {x I -4<x<4}.

Homework Equations

If P={x∈ℝ I px} then P'={x∈ℝ I ~px}[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

x2≥4 ⇒ x≤-2 or x≥2.
P={x∈ℝ I x≤-2 or x≥2}. P'={x∈ℝ I -2<x<2}[/B]
The original proposition is true when a number is equal to or less than -2. It is equally true when it is equal to or greater than 2. If we negate the proposition then the elements of this set will be the ones not found in the original set. This leaves the interval (-2,2). I don't understand why the interval would be (-4,4) as the solution found at the back of the book suggests. BTW First Post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Keen94 said:
1. Find P'={x I ~px} for the given open sentences px.
#25. x2≥4.
(Problem from 1.10, Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer and Oakley.
Solution offered at the back of the book: {x I -4<x<4}.

Homework Equations

If P={x∈ℝ I px} then P'={x∈ℝ I ~px}[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

x2≥4 ⇒ x≤-2 or x≥2.
P={x∈ℝ I x≤-2 or x≥2}. P'={x∈ℝ I -2<x<2}[/B]
The original proposition is true when a number is equal to or less than -2. It is equally true when it is equal to or greater than 2. If we negate the proposition then the elements of this set will be the ones not found in the original set. This leaves the interval (-2,2). I don't understand why the interval would be (-4,4) as the solution found at the back of the book suggests. BTW First Post!
Hello Keen94. Welcome to PF !

The book must have a typo. Your analysis is correct !

Likes Keen94
SammyS said:
Hello Keen94. Welcome to PF !

The book must have a typo. Your analysis is correct !
Thank you for the speedy reply!

Related to Finding the Complement of a Set

1. What is the definition of the complement of a set?

The complement of a set is the set of all elements that are not included in the original set. It is denoted by a small letter after an apostrophe, such as A'.

2. How do you find the complement of a set?

To find the complement of a set, you need to first identify the universal set, which is the set that contains all possible elements. Then, you can take the elements that are not in the original set and add them to the complement set.

3. Can a set and its complement overlap?

No, a set and its complement cannot overlap. The complement of a set contains all the elements that are not in the original set, so by definition, they cannot have any common elements.

4. Why is finding the complement of a set useful?

Finding the complement of a set can be useful in many situations, such as in probability and statistics. It allows us to determine the probability of an event not occurring by subtracting the probability of the event from 1.

5. Are there any properties of the complement of a set?

Yes, there are a few properties of the complement of a set. Some of them include: the complement of the complement of a set is the original set, the complement of an empty set is the universal set, and the complement of the universal set is an empty set.